Henry Star, Kansas

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of the many famous outlaws who roamed and terrorized the Wild West, Henry Starr stands out as one of the most interesting, yet few people today remember him. From a young age, Henry was exposed to a life of crime in his native Oklahoma. The so-called “Cherokee Bad Boy” was the last in a long line of thieves and criminals, which also included the famed Belle Starr, one of his close relatives. He began his career as a small-time bandit by stealing and taking horses, eventually escalating to murder when he gunned down a Deputy US Marshal in 1892. He was imprisoned for these crimes but later released on a technicality.

Starr returned to his criminal ways after his release, eventually deciding to take up the highly profitable pursuit of bank robbing. He wound up in jail a few times, but he went on to hold up close to 21 banks in the early 1900s, expanding his criminal ventures into Kansas and Arkansas. This would end badly for Starr—he was blasted through the chest with a shotgun during one bank heist in Harrison, Arkansas.

During his long run as a criminal, he claimed to have stolen over $60,000 by the time of his death in 1921. None of this is a mystery, though—the real mystery pertains to the large stash of loot he supposedly buried somewhere near the Cimarron River in Stevens County, Kansas. Starr reportedly told others that he hid his secret cache in a spot where nobody would find it “in a million years.” So far,no one has come forward with the loot in the 95 years since the outlaw’s death, so maybe his prediction will stay true.

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Doc

Great story:thumbsup:!

I have not heard of Henry Starr before so i have learned a little bit of history of this outlaw. Thanks for the interesting treasure legend, however the search area is very large area without more detailed information.

here is a newspaper story dating from 1921.

historian_starr_01.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

Amy

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well he claimed that no one will ever find it....but I am going on record right now to say I will find this. I live in this part of SW Ks and am only about 45 minutes from Hugoton...I know the area pretty well! When he says near the border it can only mean close to Oklahoma state line or the northwest portion of the county where the river lies.....sure is a large area to search and navigate but with serious persistence someone is bound to find this. Question is how bad does someone want it??????

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
I picked up The Saga of Henry Starr a few years ago at a book sale, but never read it. Maybe I will now.

O

Old Silver

Starr reportedly told others that he hid his secret cache in a spot where nobody would find it “in a million years.” So far,no one has come forward with the loot in the 95 years since the outlaw’s death, so maybe his prediction will stay true.

Only 999,905 years to go.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread