Here are pics of some "Must Hunt" sites.....

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Here are pics of some "Must Hunt" sites.....

Hello,

I think you have some good sites, you should find some silver and other older coins. However I do think you need to learn a few things about telling how old a home or building is. One of the most easy give aways is. Is the foundations you can tell a large rock foundation are Old Pre 1900's. A concreate or brick/block foundation is newer after 1900's. Other buildings you learn over time, small one story houses are common in the 1920-1950's. I'm still learning myself but it is things like this you want to take note of, good luck!

Keep @ It and HH!!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The thing that makes this hobby so facinating is that you just don't know when and where the

goodies are going to show up. On appearences alone I like the old motel and general store as

these areas were about commerce and coin of the realm was exchanged and likely dropped.

Argentium.

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils

OK.....I scoped this area out this weekend.

It's pretty 'public'.....but sneaky public. There is no designated access to here.....just a quad trail.

The first pic shows a damn. the damn has been in this location since way back in the 1800's. 'This' latest version of it dates to no sooner than 1902.
The first pic is there just cuz it's pretty.
The house on the other side sits on his private land (relatives of a successful concrete company).

The second pic is as if you execute a right-face from the first pic (cool! Train passed as I was standing there!).
This was a popular gathering/picnic place back in the late 1800's. Other pics I've seen of the area in that period was devoid of the heavy woods as the area was farmed. Now it is all grown in......except for the strip of land along this damn observation wall.

Still no detector. I have $550 so far on my way to a Whites MXT 300

.....sigh.......

<edited - Sorry 'bout the pic clarity....it was a comfortable yet hazy early Sunday morning this past weekend!>

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

-

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250

not sure on age there Gary but you sure have some nice places to detect there. HH

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Hmmm Can you post the GPS coordinates? I would like to screen them for you to see if it is worth your time. :D

DUDE, those look like great places to detect. Remember, even if the barn is only 50 years old, the area may have been farmed for 200 years before that!

The most silver coins ( and quite a bit of relics too) that I have found has been on my own small property, and the house was built in 1965.

Just do it!
Neil

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used

Neil in West Jersey said:
Hmmm Can you post the GPS coordinates?

<grin!>

Well....I've got a whole bunch of locations saved in my Google Earth. The above pics represent only a small slice of what I've targeted in my area. Having this much excitement and no detector yet is such a bummer!

I'd like to hook up with some experienced local MD'ers to hit a few of my saved sites so I can watch/listen to them hunt while I do. Sorta like a 'Technique OJT'

Surprisingly, I don't have a single 'park' on my list. I DO have a few looong closed down rural schools - one whose location dates back to the last quarter of the 1800's - but was converted to a municipal building/firehouse in the 1960's (complete with outdoor summertime fireman's picnics with games etc..) or so and still stands today (original school building) as just a municipal building.
This will EASILY be a trashy location and the property is large enough that it should take 2 people to cover it.
And next door (That's a rural next door!) is a VERY old wooden 1870's era church (no cemetery plots) that needs to be hit.

I also have a looong standing site that is used by the Girl Scouts as a summer camp. Looks like a large, single hall/building with open activity ground all around it. It is set literally in the middle of the woods about 500ft off of a paved road The access road is dirt with a chain at the entrance. The place gets hoppin' in the summer. I'll DEFINITELY have my 9yr old daughter with me when I ask for permission to hunt!!!
I'd love to hunt THIS site with someone too.

And I also have another site that is 'campus-like' that would definitely be a 'more-than-one-person' hunting spot. I really think it would be a producer. (can't give to many details yet!)

I NEED TO GET MY DETECTOR!!!!
arrrrgh!

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used

Damn! I gotta try resizing the pics so we don't have to scroll to read!

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used

Just a few more pics of possible hunt sites:

I don't know yet what this building once was - and it doesn't look entirely old (I wouldn't say pre 1930's), but I'll give it a shot:
IMG_1788.jpg

This isn't high on the priority list - but its on the list none the less. It's very old. I've got to get pics from the side. It's a stunning building! I don't know the owners, but the residence is just to the left - I'll get permission.
IMG_1791.jpg

This is a 'must hunt'. Can anyone try to period date it by the foundation? is that 1800's or 1900's?
IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

-

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Gary: That foundation on the side of the road is where the Rare Coin Gallery
used to be before the tornado in '56 blew if away.

lastleg

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300

lastleg said:

lastleg

I'm on my way

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used

lastleg said:

lastleg

Hmmmmmm..........

Doesn't seem to correlate with this : http://www.tornadoproject.com/alltorns/patorn.htm

I'm thinkin' that this isn't the location you think it is.
Where was the Rare Coin gallery?

-

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He is probably referring to the tornado of 1856 before the records were kept. ;D

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

in the first photos, from the looks, I'd say 30's, barn is probably early 1900's, motel is probably early fifties.
that stone foundation is probably late 1880's - 1890's
they all look like they have potential.
most of my sites don't have anything left on them makes it kind of tough

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used

Found this today:

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

So......wassit?

A residence?

Barn??

Looks like a porch on the other side.
Upstairs window is odd. A loft?

-

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

That last one looks like a house built in the 1970's by some vegan, tofu-eating back-to-the-landers. ;D

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used

OK.....

as for the structure just above.....it was there in 1939 along with another building. The pic above is the smaller black box. The red box has both buildings. And the Blue box I'll talk about in the next pic.
Twooldbuildings.jpg

OK......and THIS is what it looks like today. Only one building remains in the lower left and the blue box building is GONE. The cool part of the blue box building is that the foundation is still there and it looks OLD! Easily back in the 1800's. I'll have to get pics of that too. I'll just keep wasting bandwidth posting this nonsense in this thread.
TwoOldBuildingsToday.jpg

-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread