rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
WoW!

Gateway to the Sea?

There sure oughta be silver dollars stacked out behing the bars where the oilfield hands dropped 'em with enthusiasm on Friday and Saturday nights! ;D

Folks in the coffee shop should know where to look...

HH

Zerk_Fitting

Oct 23, 2008
The original poster has not logged in since 2006

The subject is interesting to me because I lived and worked 2.5 miles from Maricopa for a year and a half
back in 1983.

Less than half way from where I lived on Western Minerals RD and just west of Short RD is ghost town site
called Hazelton which very few people know about. 35° 2'18.06"N 119°22'51.45"W

I explored this site as well as others in the area. Hazelton is very old as far as oil production goes
They pounded riveted iron casing into shallow dug wells and used Chinese labor to bucket out the thick
tar like crude and filled their storage tank by way of wooden sluices. From there they used an iron tank trailer
and a mule team to pull it all the way into Bakersfield something like 35 miles away.

There was still quite a bit of stuff laying round there but no structures when I explored it.

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zerk, I am here in Ridgecrest. The site sounds promising. Any idea about ridgecrest or any luck? Thanks Kevin

Zerk_Fitting

Oct 23, 2008
KevinH said:
Zerk, I am here in Ridgecrest. The site sounds promising. Any idea about ridgecrest or any luck? Thanks Kevin

Hi Kevin. I am interested in all sorts of things desert related, Dry washing for gold, metal detecting, rock hounding, exploring
gold sluicing etc. Anyways I take my wife and two boys out into the desert whenever we get the chance.

This summer I took a vacation to the High Sierras and we spent a day and a half wheeling around the last chance canyon area about 20 miles from Ridgecrest It is a great area to visit especially in the Fall and Winter lots of cool stuff to see
like Old Dutch Clenser mine, Bickel Camp, the Burro Schmidt Tunnel, Bonanza Gulch and its adopt a cabin program.
We located a couple of natural springs and the area has a long mining history. Visit http://www.bickelcamp.org/index.html
and http://www.tflcc.org lots of great reading there. I would like to go back there this winter or possibly even this Thanksgiving

John

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, Let me know. I am thinking about going to Kennedy Meadows this weekend. There was an old place up there called grumpy something. I am also looking into going to robbers roost. I heard it was closed off due to eagles there but may just search the outskirts. Lucky hunting and if you are ever out this way shoot me a line. Kevin

19COINFINDER58

Greenie
Mar 1, 2012
West Coast, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II & Garrett 250 PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Lohi,

I been to Hart Park on Hill Rd, an old park many old beer taps.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never been detecting before. I would love to give it a shot to see if this is something I would like to pick up. Anyone out there interested in showing a newbie the ropes, better still if you have a detector that you don't use that I could barrow for the day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread