here is a fun thing to try!

D

Diane L.

Micro-Metorites!
Get a bucket and put it somewhere, where it can't be disturbed or that dust from the road can't float into it and leave it up on something a little higher then you? for many months ..then go over and if there is water in it try to dump it out without emptying it all the way ...Remove any leaves etc...you may see some dirt particles on the bottom..Use a magnet..if you pick them up..it is probably meteorite dust because we get Tons of dust hitting the atmosphere everyday and this is what it would look like..next, look at it under a microscope or a magnifying glass and then you can see small peices of meteorites.It is neat project to do.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also heard that you can get them from the downspouts on your house. They hit the roof and eventually end up in the gutters. I tried a magnet on some stuff in my gutters and it turns out the gravel on the shingles is magnetic!!
So is some of the sand on the road in front of my house. As soon as I get a PI detector build I'm going after a big one.

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
After seeing last nights special on "Where to find treasure, cash, and gems" on the travel show, I want to go looking for some big ones, or event the little ones too. The show was filmed in NM, KS, AZ, with big ones in KS, worth $ 150,000 for one that weighed 98 pounds. Even my little Radio Shack Discovery 2000 can find theose meterorites. Its now going to ba a staple item in my camping gear

;D

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Calworks, if you want some more info on KS meteroites here are a few links.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2006-05-10-meteorites-kansas_x.htm
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/15745494.htm

A lot are found in KS, NE, CO, etc. There are 4 reasons: flat land, few trees, cultivated for crops, no hot rocks.

Yup your detector can see them if they're shallow enough. The 1500 pound one was 7 and a half feet deep.
The second article says that his coil is 12 x 18 feet. He pulls it behind a 4 wheele

The 1500 lb one is worth a mil !!!!
I want one

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coon007
I saw a news story on our local station when he found the big one. I saw that huge coil and started doing some research on the web. Another news article said that it was a PI detector. I researched for a couple of months and learned a lot. There are commercial pulse induction detectors on the market, but the price is WAY out of my range.
I'm working on building one.

Here is a link to the Geotech forum. There are some schematics and lots of info. Several people have build them.
http://thunting.com/geotech/forums/

coon007

May 24, 2005
South Texas
HELLO ROB

MUST BE NICE TO LIVE IN THE SAME STATE (KS) AS WHERE THE METEROITES WERE FOUND HOPE YOU FIND A BIG ONE IN THEM FIELDS. I MYSELF HAVE NO PLACE TO HUNT THEM IN SOUTH TEXAS BUT WILLING TO TRAVEL.
GEORGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread