cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Saturday, during my route, I pull up to an address on my list. Walk up to this driveway cluttered with old car parts and other typical guy stuff. As i make my way up the narrow path on the driveway a young lady (I am being nice) blocks the way with her "expanse" and looks at a clipboard she is carrying. No godd morning or anything, just "and when is your appointment"

(me) MY WHAT?

(lady) APPOINTMENT!!

(me) For a yard sale? you have got to be kidding. people do not make reservations to buy junk!

(no longer a lady) this is my yard sale and this is how I do it.

(me no longer polite) YOU JUST LOST A CUSTOMER.
(me to another guy that just walked up) better watch out, this broad wants reservations. He had no idea what I was talking about. I am sure he found out quickly. ;)

(this was not a high class estate sale either)

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen a few of them advertised on craigslist , I just ignore them.
Its pretty silly IMHO.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And what is the advantage to the seller who is setting appointments?

I am guessing she has been stolen from in the past? This way she can keep her eye on the people since she has limited it to one. Thieves and trespassers ruin it for the people who are respectful of other's property.

Happy Hunting!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen sales listed "by appointment only", I usually don't bother unless it's an estate sale. If she had it listed with no mention of appt. only, then I would have let loose on the old bag. Probably sucking on the hind teet of the Gov., living like a parasite anyway.
PS- I would have whipped out my rubber band wrapped gangster roll and showed her what she just missed out on too!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Come on guys...

While I whole-heartedly agree that this type of behavior is rediculous and frustrating, there is no need to judge the the person running the sale or act beligerent towards her.

It is still her property and she does have a right to operate however she sees fit... Even if her method is stupid and frustrates her customers. Just avoid and take your business elsewhere.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I whole-heartedly agree that this type of behavior is rediculous and frustrating, there is no need to judge the the person running the sale or act beligerent towards her
You didn't hear the tone in her voice when she first came up to me.
She looked to be 24-25 and sounded 15.

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see them listed on craigslist here too, one time I drove by a sale and they had a line formed and she was letting people in one at a time.... smh

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see it if she was inviting people into her home to
buy stuff off the walls & Shelves throughout the whole home.

In that case you may want to do it as a Tour.

But if everything is in the yard that's just paranoia and limiting what you can make

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see it if she was inviting people into her home to
buy stuff off the walls & Shelves throughout the whole home.
That's understandable but, it should be mentioned in your ad. There's that common sense thing again. I don't know, maybe I just expect too much from the average person. Or, maybe i'm just not the average person? :icon_scratch:Hmm? I may be onto something there. :lightbulb: :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's understandable but, it should be mentioned in your ad. There's that common sense thing again. I don't know, maybe I just expect too much from the average person. Or, maybe i'm just not the average person? :icon_scratch:Hmm? I may be onto something there. :lightbulb: :laughing7:

Yes there seems to be more & more people over the Last Decade or so, That are just
going insane in the things they dream up.

Maybe it's the water :laughing7:
or watching too much talk TV :dontknow:
I really don't know what they are Drilling into Women (& wanna be's) all day long,
but it may Explain some things.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread