Here is a pile of gold, what MD would you get?

Dr Freezelove

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-683712563.jpg

I sent this in last week. Haven't received a check, but it should be enough for anything I want. I am just not sure. I have seen 100 videos and read 1000 posts and I'm more confused than when I began. What would you buy if you wanted to hunt for coins, relics, caches, a little beach now and then? I appreciate the help.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Dr Freezelove

Dr Freezelove

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bluehunter1973 said:
Whatever you think works for you

Well bluehunter thats why I'm asking. Don't have a metal detector, haven't been for 25 years when I went with my dad, he had a White's. Lot of people talking about the CTX 30/30, Deus, V3i and now two guys are talking about a Tesoro which I haven't even looked at. So trying to get some ideas before I pull the trigger, I'm selling this gold because I can't spend any money on this so everything I get comes from this and future finds.

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One that can get you that pile of Gold:laughing9:,a great detector does help,so does the person behind that swing & being @ the right place @ the right time:occasion14:I'm not way even in line of giving advice,So many Pro's here that can really help you out,,HH

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was hunting for nuggets, I'd get the Minelab GPX5000, for the beach/ocean/underwater the Minelab Excalibur, for parks/schools,land hunting for old and deep coins the White's V3i, Minelab E-trac, or Minelab CGTX3030. If I could only get one detector it would be the CTX3030. If you're just going to hunt surface stuff, just about anything will work.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tesoros mentioned by Terry Soloman should do fine for starters. Also, a Garrett 250 will sell for about $ 212 plus shipping.... two coils will put the cost at about $267 or so. But, ultimately, you ARE the one who must decide. Any popular brand should do fine. TTC

coinhound1983

Aug 22, 2012
I don't know much about other brands, but I do know about the whites metal detectors and hsve found about as much gold as you had pictured. What Info I would give, is get a detector that's from a reputable brand but not too high end if your somewhat new .. 250-500 dollar range would get you 1 with pretty good discrimination features. What I look for the most in an md is max depth with discrimination, also and most importantly for me is the capability to zero in on a tgt. When my whites XLT hits a tgt I can press and hold a toggle switch and I can get a precise location and a good depth estimate.. Smaller and cleaner digs. Hope my crazy info helps. Good luck!

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, XP MI6, Garrett Pro Pointer, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would recomend a Garrett AT Pro! Waterproof to 10 ft., and I have found silver, gold, relics, etc. Like all detectors, you will have to really work with it and learn your machine inside and out. Either way, what a fantastic hobby! Just remember to always follow the MD's code of ethics! Good luck, and happy hunting!

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research what works best in your area. Hopefully there might be a detector club. If you take the pulse route you will need another land machine unless you get a discriminating P.I.
Nowdays you can get near/even match the performance of standard low power pulse machines from twin/multifrequency detectors and with one of them you can detect just about everywhere. Don't forget to invest in some good headphones that match the output of the detector you end up with.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My decision was between the Garrett AT Pro & the Whites MXT... I went with the MXT because their customer service is 2nd to none, The numerous coil upgrade choices available & I'm not near a beach so not doing much if any water detecting. If beach & water detecting is your thing then the AT Pro would be the better choice as it's waterproof.

If you spend $500 on up to $2000 on a detector you will get a very good machine no matter what. Now regardless of all factors it's really all about how well you learn to understand & use the machine you choose to buy!

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
inspectorgadget said:
My decision was between the Garrett AT Pro & the Whites MXT... I went with the MXT because their customer service is 2nd to none, The numerous coil upgrade choices available & I'm not near a beach so not doing much if any water detecting. If beach & water detecting is your thing then the AT Pro would be the better choice as it's waterproof.

If you spend $500 on up to $2000 on a detector you will get a very good machine no matter what. Now regardless of all factors it's really all about how well you learn to understand & use the machine you choose to buy!

It seems a lot of people have trouble deciding between these two machines including myself. I went with the at-pro because of the ability to hunt creeks in my area. Ive read a lot on both but only used the at-pro since that is what i ended up getting. From all that I've read, both machines seem to have equal performance overall.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems a lot of people have trouble deciding between these two machines including myself. I went with the at-pro because of the ability to hunt creeks in my area. Ive read a lot on both but only used the at-pro since that is what i ended up getting. From all that I've read, both machines seem to have equal performance overall.

If I bought a new reasonably priced 2nd machine to play with in water (or possibly land too) & even just to have around for a buddy to use I would probably buy an AT Pro. That is if I don't go ultra high line on my next machine like a Whites V3i or a Minelab E-Track, the 3030 is way to expensive IMO!

goldman55

Sep 25, 2010
cincinnati
Detector(s) used
T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i would go with a whites V3I. Learn it. It does it all and is deep. If i was going in the water good used water machine AT Pro, depends how deep you want to go in the water. I would do my Whites V3I on the beech. Whites PI or Beechunter, Detector Pro Wader , Tiger shark, Sand shark their all good water machine's. Main one would be a Whites V3I hands down for Gold Prospecting, Coin & Jewerly Relic etc. When you really think about it their all Great.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i had a pile of gold i wouldnt need a detector.Im of no use here lol!!

HH John

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
I would buy an ATPro, much easier machine to use as a beginner. I had an MXT as a beginner and sold it to an employee. Good detector but wasn't the machine for me. I then used an Xterra 70 for a couple of years then bought an Etrac and the AtPro. If the weather is crappy or I am detecting gravel I use the AtPro, nice weather and grass=Etrac.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My own preferances are the tiger shark for water by Tesoro, the minelab 705 for everything else with the gold coil and maybe even the whites XLT yeh it is an older model but it does dam** good on depth but that is only my opinion I own all 3 and they do what I want them to do.... HH Freddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread