Here is something else that is a little funny.. (and sad)

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to one of my new banks saturday to deposit some coin. I made out the deposit list and on the back listed the coins and value.

When I got to the window the girl looked at the back and pointed to a word I had written and said "what is this?".

She had pointed to "CENTS" she had never heard them called that before. :-\ :'( ::) ::) ::)

It is a sorry situation when bank people do not even know the correct name for a U.S. coin.

Upvote 0

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Let's hear a hoooora for public education. Did you check your transaction very closely to make sure she got it right?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes you wonder,don't it? I wonder why the term "penny" has stuck around for as long as it has anyway? ???

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Makes you wonder,don't it? I wonder why the term "penny" has stuck around for as long as it has anyway? ???
Probably has to do with out British roots. They still have the Pence, also just called a "P" and I have heard them say penny.

I still call it a cent about half of the time. But, I have a company with the word penny as part of the name.

I always double check all transactions, when it comes to money I only trust myself.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think "penny"is the better, though inaccurate, term. If you tell someone "I have six cents in my pocket" that could mean six pennies or a nickel and a penny. Though "Lincoln cent" sounds better than "Lincoln penny."

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer
I love it when they tell you that they haven't seen any silver in a long time as they hand you your halves and can see some silver there :)
Best Regards, Ray

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
For the record, most commercial coin wrappers say "pennies". Its the same way with "nickels". Technically, they are "United States five cent" pieces. And a Canadian ten cent piece is not a dime, despite being the same size. Blah, blah...I agree that it is sad that someone who works in a bank doesn't know the word "cent", BUT its also silly to make such a stink about what people call certain coins (this isn't necessarily directed at Cyberdan, but is a general attitude amongst coin collecters on the site). Pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters is OK with me. I love finding Indian Head CENTS, and I'd love to find a Flying Eagle CENT, but I have no problem with getting a roll of PENNIES from the bank.

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
One time a bank teller told me she checked all of the rolls for silver. I bought the $50 just in case and found 4 40%ers. ::)

I had to argue with the cashier at the grocery store. She thought the half dollars were worth $1 each. HH!

-CC

B

baseballbandits

My teller said she got some $2 bills with a red circle on them and thought they were counterfiet. Someone eventually told her they were apparently worth $10 each and she kept them. :o

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
It IS rather astonishing how...um...uninformed people are. I hesitate to say illiterate or ignorant, or whatever, even though they are ignorant enuff not to even know what a "cent" is, or what a Half Dollar is.

I once saw an exit exam for the 6th grade or something from the 1890s. Looked like something you would expect to see as a final when trying to graduate Harvard these days.

It is amazing how our educational system has been dumbed down over the past 100 years.

I thank my lucky stars my parents are intellectuals (Dad was a professor with a Doctorate in Philosophy, Mom has a Master's in English). I was encouraged to read from an early age (read my first book at age 2), and I actually do use my brain occasionally lol.

Too bad not everyone is able to grow up in similar circumstances.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread