Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a recently dug and cleaned piece of "pig" iron from an American furnace that dated back into the 18th century. I kept it because you rarely find them. It was in a field a couple miles from a known early American Iron forge. Here piggy!

Cool artifact. Not worth squat. Make a machine SCREAM as it weighs about 4 pounds.

IMG_0657.jpg

Upvote 6
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice relic find! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Professor of engineering, once upon a time ago, in this galaxy my archaeology club was digging at colonial Joppatown, Maryland. It was one of those places to be "Baltimore", but the river silted in. It was quite a busy place in the day. Before the Revolution. Anyway, they, whoever they are were bulldozing for the developments to follow around the Rumsey mansion, I think it still stands, and the president of our club, Paul Cresthull, now long gone, had his metal detector make a noise over a target, this was 1966-67, something like that. We were all digging with our little hand trowels, I think I was 10. I found it first, another pig, almost identical to this one and handed it to him, er, I mean it was more like he grabbed it with excitement and made his usual what I'll call squeal of delight. And turned it over and over and over in his hands and explained to us just how important a relic it was. He was so happy. I really miss him.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with that being a cool and rarely seen find. Iron played a significant role in colonial America, and therefor I made it a point to do a sidebar in my book about pig iron which I'm sure you've seen. Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have to get another one of your books.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread