1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a dumb question for ya!

I read somewhere that a square plug ends up much neater and will reestablish in the soil better that a round plug.So that's what i try to do.
I have watched hundreds of MD videos on youtube over the winter and no one cuts square plugs.What type plug do you cut and why? Fill me in on it guys 'cause I'm still learn'n!

Wade

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I cut round horseshoe or U shaped plugs. That keeps the roots still attached to the rest of the turf.
Fold over plug, dig out dirt. Refill dirt, fold plug back over and step on it.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cut round plugs and carry a little fertilizer with me for those beauty yards. After I am done hunting I just sprinkle a little at the places I have been.

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing to remember is that grass roots grow straight up and down. So making sure your cuts are as vertical as possible will do less damage to root system, as opposed to coming in at an angle. If you want your holes to look absolutely spotless when you are through, then use a drop cloth for all the loose dirt. There are lots of posts on this subject if you just search how to dig a plug.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I try and make horse shoe cuts as well.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cut star cuts, so that if they do die at least they look cool.

ok, not really

OP
OP

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cut star cuts, so that if they do die at least they look cool.

ok, not really

Jeff Gordon? Hum. I've heard that name somewhere. Oh ya! Number 24 is in my buddy's garage getting repainted to go to a museum. Ya,that's it!

Wade

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff Gordon? Hum. I've heard that name somewhere. Oh ya! Number 24 is in my buddy's garage getting repainted to go to a museum. Ya,that's it!

Wade

seriously?? can we see some pics?

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cut the biggest, deepest plug I can. I've seen guys trying to make perfect small plugs with good intention. Problem is when the groundskeeper comes by with the lawnmower, good by plug. Sucks it right out. And animal tend to come by after you and lift that little plug right up looking for insects. The next time I come back there's bald spot everywhere. A heavy deep plug stays put and holds together better.

OP
OP

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya seriously,but I don't have pix. A couple weeks ago he had the 48 in for the same thing. Some guy around here I don't know is hooked up with nascar and rebuilds their cars to put in museums.
If you're close it is(or was) in "whiteys body shop in Friendship Indiana.Best I can tell ya'!

Wade

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't dig many yards but when I do I use a bulb planter which cuts a 3" circle and when the plug is replaced you don't see where I cut the plug.

Good idea KingsKid "I cut round plugs and carry a little fertilizer with me for those beauty yards. After I am done hunting I just sprinkle a little at the places I have been."

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large, round, deep plugs! This is the only way to preserve the roots and prevent shocking the grass into going brown temporarily.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you know, after you replace the plug you can urinate on it. Urine is sterile.

OP
OP

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't dig many yards but when I do I use a bulb planter which cuts a 3" circle and when the plug is replaced you don't see where I cut the plug.

Good idea KingsKid "I cut round plugs and carry a little fertilizer with me for those beauty yards. After I am done hunting I just sprinkle a little at the places I have been."

Duh! I should have thought of that! I use the bulb planter to transfer strawberries and it works perfect!I'm gonna gotta getta bigger pouch!
I would be afraid of the fertilizer. It's too easy to burn a nice lawn but I have been thinking about how to bring water with me to reset a plug. I have cut a few square plugs and like the way the go back almost seamless.

Wade

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where I live there is NO SUCH THING as a "plug". When I get a loud signal I just start pic axing a large hole. After I pull out another horseshoe I kick the dirt EVERYWHERE and urinate in the hole for the last laugh. And my dogs then get there 2 cents in also before leaving. Digging around here can give ya a bad attitude...! :censored:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
plugs? plugs are for where there is actually dirt! I do get to dig in some dirt but most of my areas to hunt are rock infused clay and roots with a tiny smattering of dirt. it is what it is and it ain't what it ain't. but where there is dirt and grass, I do my best to keep the grass in good shape. of course with armadillos everywhere, they tend to do more damage than I will.

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig a horse shoe plug. It's easy, quick and it works. It's what I know how to do. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried the bulb planter thing way back when, Talk about work! Then I would miss a coin a little and end up with a big old divot. A large flat screwdriver and a 2" wide trappers shovel are my main diggers. I usually go straight down on four sides with the shovel. Makes a nice 2" plug and I use a ground cloth. This is all on nice lawns mind you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread