Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever tried using the cypher key numbered backwards? It seems like that would be the easiest way to code the other two letters and still have a little bit of safety. I have never really looked into the Beale stuff so I don't know if its been tried or not. Also could it be entire words and not just letters?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Has anyone ever tried using the cypher key numbered backwards? It seems like that would be the easiest way to code the other two letters and still have a little bit of safety. I have never really looked into the Beale stuff so I don't know if its been tried or not. Also could it be entire words and not just letters?
NOT a dumb question at all; think ppl have tried it (Beale Cypher Association...). Computer "Nerds" have done it; NO LUCK to my knowledge... OTHERS may know.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well that's just it, a key can be applied in many different ways, even using just portions of words. No limit to how a key can be applied as long as the coder and decoder are on the same page, pardon the pun.

OP
OP
EccentricInTexas

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but it would have to be something simple for the other members to decode. Something like the first page you subtract a number and the second page is exact and the third you add a number.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
That would be true if the C1 & C3 ciphers contained an actual message.
The DOI "solved" C2 may well be a ruse to lure in the unwary buyer of the Beale Papers.

Wow, holding the NSA line are we?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but it would have to be something simple for the other members to decode. Something like the first page you subtract a number and the second page is exact and the third you add a number.

Without a correct key even simple cipher processes can become quite challenging, if not impossible, the longer they are and the fewer duplicate codes that are used. And, who is to say that the rest of the party was ever intended to have access to the ciphers? We already know that the author didn't tell the truth about some of the details he offered so why assume that everything else was on the up and up?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Without a correct key even simple cipher processes can become quite challenging, if not impossible, the longer they are and the fewer duplicate codes that are used. And, who is to say that the rest of the party was ever intended to have access to the ciphers? We already know that the author didn't tell the truth about some of the details he offered so why assume that everything else was on the up and up?
Heh...

Cryptography

Banned
Jan 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good question. And yes I have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread