Nathanonline

Oct 31, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a first. Let's hope it's a last.

I was hunting the beach at low tide and I got a half dollar sized target that rang up very clean. My heart is racing, but then, huh?

You truly learn something every time you hunt, today I learned that there are crematory ID tags. As interesting as this one is, I prefer coins and jewelry thank you.

image.jpeg

Upvote 10
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A very interesting find indeed!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be nice to return that

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A most unusual find. Looks like a "Toe Tag" from the crematory. I wonder how it got out of their hands ?

OP
OP
N

Nathanonline

Oct 31, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if they didn't go to spread the ashes of a loved one (it's a scenic beach) and the tag was inside?

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those ID tags come with all human and pet cremations. Sometimes people don't check the urns or boxes the ashes come in for the tags, so when spreading the ashes into the ocean the tags will inadvertently get dropped into the water as well. Or sometimes the people just want the tag to accompany the ashes so they intentionally toss it.

I have a friend who finds those on occasion. What he does is he takes a piece of stainless steel wire and attaches a rather heavy fishing weight to the tag. He then goes to an area where there are cliffs and no nearby beach access and he throws the tags back into the ocean.

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those ID tags come with all human and pet cremations. Or sometimes the people just want the tag to accompany the ashes so they intentionally toss it.

I have a friend who finds those on occasion. What he does is he takes a piece of stainless steel wire and attaches a rather heavy fishing weight to the tag. He then goes to an area where there are cliffs and no nearby beach access and he throws the tags back into the ocean.

I found one by eye on a low tidal flat in R.I. I did return it to a nicer spot after I eventually figured the family wanted it at the ocean. I'll bet you return it at some point.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well ahes have to be IDible cuz once your cooked they all look alike ..so each body gets a tag ..when the body goes in they remove toe tag and burn it ..when the ashes are removed the bag the ashes are placed in get the tag attached to it ....when folks take their loved ones ashes to the beach to dump them in the sea the tag goes into the ocean often when the bags are ripped open

OP
OP
N

Nathanonline

Oct 31, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sjvalleyhunter that is a great idea I hadn't considered. Personally I would be hesitant to track down the family because like you said they may have intended to leave it there. Lord knows I have plenty of lead sinkers, this one will make it back to the beach.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
you can find out who it was --you have the "number" and the place that burned the body ...so you could track down exactly who's ashes it went to ...but most likely the family wanted it as well as their loved ones ashes to go into the sea ...so if it were me that exactly where it would go back to weighted and thrown as far out as possible

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found one at the beach one time, called the cemetery that was on the tag and basically was treated like a piece of snot. "Well you can drop it off if you please" click. Sort of sad that they really didn't want to be bothered as it would an extra non paying endeavour in their high grossing incomes.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
as it was found , I think it was a "un urned" find -

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eyeballed a brass one dated 1947 while digging in a neighbor's garden when I was 6. I also clearly remember seeing many pea sized chunks of bone in the dirt.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it would be my guess that the people do not want it returned.. they spread the ashes for a reason

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found one a couple of years ago as well. Walked out to the end of the pier the next day and returned it from where it came.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread