Heres a question Ive had trouble getting an answer to which Minelab is deepest?

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Heres a question I've had trouble getting an answer to which Minelab is deepest?

I am not looking to start a disagreement between users...but may pick something up for next year..not getting rid of my dfx...just would like to know...se? 2? xs? something else....also would like it to have a factory rechargable battery pack...not interested in spending money on batteries.... :)

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Heres a question I've had trouble getting an answer to which Minelab is deepest?

it is generally believed that the EX II or SE (it's update) is the answer to this question. The EX II came with a a factory rechargable battery pack. From what I've seen on a Minelab specific forum and my own use - this statement is correct.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Heres a question I've had trouble getting an answer to which Minelab is deepest?

This would be a tough question to answer because of all the variables. Both EX II and SE are deep, but not at every location. Stick a WOT coil on a Sov. Gt and you can match or surpass a PI. I've seen the X70 match depths with the SE too. This is very hard to judge as just because one finds a coin at ten inches and the other doesn't, it could mean the guy using the other detector moved the coil to fast, or didn't over lap his sweeps.

Bounty Hunter?????????? I've wrapped a few around a tree in my time, but I haven't used one lately. Someone might see me........ ;D

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Depth wise how about fishers f-75..... I have heard good things about them..but seems I have read alot of coil problems....I want something that if a target is 8.0 deep it will pick it up without a problem each time! Does that unit exist? ???

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

i dont think so or we would all own it!!!!!!

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

teverly said:
i dont think so or we would all own it!!!!!!

Really at 8.0 we cannot get a steady reading...I have hit more late 60's/early 70's dimes and quarters from 4.5 to 6.0 then I care to mention...in soft sand/soil...wooodchips up to 7.5.... How come I hear some of these guys hitting at deeper ranges all the time? I once had a signal at 9.5 when I first got my dfx... But lately 7.5 max... ???

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Sandman said:
This would be a tough question to answer because of all the variables. Both EX II and SE are deep, but not at every location. Stick a WOT coil on a Sov. Gt and you can match or surpass a PI. I've seen the X70 match depths with the SE too. This is very hard to judge as just because one finds a coin at ten inches and the other doesn't, it could mean the guy using the other detector moved the coil to fast, or didn't over lap his sweeps.

Bounty Hunter?????????? I've wrapped a few around a tree in my time, but I haven't used one lately. Someone might see me........ ;D

Sandman that was funny! :D

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

Hey Gregg, my friend Tim has a DFX and he pulls silver easily in this dry ground a 8 inches. Trick is you need a DD coil for better success. He primarily uses the 8 X14" DD coil and does some deep digging. I have the Explorer and the Explorer II and don't feel there is alot of difference in depth. I also think the SE with the Explorer II coil is great and if you get the WOT or the Sunray 12" coil it can be deadly. I dig everything deep in older areas and could care less about the junk because many great coins are right beside a nail or piece of junk. If you can get the SE at a good price I'd say go for it, BUT, get the bigger coil or the Ex II coil. Just my 2 cents!!

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Jack(IN) said:
Hey Gregg, my friend Tim has a DFX and he pulls silver easily in this dry ground a 8 inches. Trick is you need a DD coil for better success. He primarily uses the 8 X14" DD coil and does some deep digging. I have the Explorer and the Explorer II and don't feel there is alot of difference in depth. I also think the SE with the Explorer II coil is great and if you get the WOT or the Sunray 12" coil it can be deadly. I dig everything deep in older areas and could care less about the junk because many great coins are right beside a nail or piece of junk. If you can get the SE at a good price I'd say go for it, BUT, get the bigger coil or the Ex II coil. Just my 2 cents!!

Thanks Jack...going to finish off this year first....then I am going to look around...but the more I hear...the less I believew the depth is a major difference.... ???

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

No matter what machine, it all comes down to Pulse Induction and choice of frequency = deep. One draw back with PI machines is that they don’t work well in trashy conditions.

HH

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE

gregg,

i got a wheat at a measured 11" with my XS. the ID was accurate. this is not something that happens all the time, but if the ground conditions are right, the explorers can hear and ID correctly at major depth.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

Greg
As you know I have been using the EX2's for some time with various coils with quite a bit of success.(after I dumped my DFX) Lately I have been using the F-75 and I must say that it is as deep or deeper than the EX2 and will certainly separate targets better.
I am back in upstate NY from FL and have been here 1 1/2 weeks. So far I have found 9 mercs, 2 Rosies 5 Washington silver quarters, 2 standing liberty quarters and an 1800's large cent date to be determined after soaking in olive oil for several weeks and about $40 in clad All of the above were recovered deeper than 9 inches with the F-75 from very trashy places (I guess that is why they were still there)
IMHO I would give the F-75 a look (buy new as there are some with problems and you want the warranty) . sell the DFX and pick up a good used EX2 ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

as far as the explorers go, SE,2,XS there really isn't a difference in depth between them. the difference is in weight,recovery time,ease of navigation,etc.

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6

I'm not an expert on detectors and by no stretch of the imagination do I have the DFX mastered, but...

Have you tried setting your DFX hotter?

Just for kicks, try the preset program "Deep Silver" next time you go out, I think you'll you'll be amazed at the depth. I think you'll get better results with a DD coil and a few adjustments to the DFX than you would buying another type of detector. I've dug several coins in the 8-12" range in dry dirt of all types in the coin and jewelry program using both the stock coil and the DD coil. The DD coil works better for depth than the stock one. Try slowing down your swing a little and be sure to over lap, you'll get the deep targets.

HH

sparkymaster

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

sparkymaster said:
I'm not an expert on detectors and by no stretch of the imagination do I have the DFX mastered, but...

Have you tried setting your DFX hotter?

Just for kicks, try the preset program "Deep Silver" next time you go out, I think you'll you'll be amazed at the depth. I think you'll get better results with a DD coil and a few adjustments to the DFX than you would buying another type of detector. I've dug several coins in the 8-12" range in dry dirt of all types in the coin and jewelry program using both the stock coil and the DD coil. The DD coil works better for depth than the stock one. Try slowing down your swing a little and be sure to over lap, you'll get the deep targets.

HH

sparkymaster

I will try a little more time with the deep silver program this fall... I have been running my dfx hot already...the silver coins I have found...oddly have all come with pag at 4..and ac sens...cranked up.... I did spend some time using it this summer but with some rain finally today...maybe I will try it on Frday..thanks... I have not heard to many claim 8-12 inches normally with the dfx...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread