Heres Some Tips If Using The 6.5" x 9" or 9" x 12" Concentric Coil

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Here's Some Tips If Using The 6.5" x 9" or 9" x 12" Concentric Coil

If you are a coin and jewellery hunter mostly, and hunt areas a lot on sports fields, most of you gold & silver rings and clad will be in the upper 3-4". And, if you want to learn to pinpoint even faster and very accurately, pinpoint off the inner toe or inner heal of the coil. But first, put a mark on the inner center of the coil. Below are instructions on how to do this.:

COILS.jpg
Basically, you are tracing the coil and folding it in half to get your dead center. I used white ink WHITE OUT for my little marker.

I prefer using this coil not so much for the depth, but for the large size. I can hunt a large sports field much faster using this coil.

When I get a good signal, I center the coil over the target, and with my pinpoint button pushed on, I drag the coil on the ground towards myself, and where the audio suddenly cuts off, is under or just a little past that white dot. In essence, you are using that white dot as the pin pointer, and after several tries will be able to just stick a screwdriver under the ring or coin and pop it out real fast. Saving time by quickly pinpointing allows you to dig more targets over a period of time.

If you want to read more about coils ie DD & CONCENTRIC coils, click below:

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/pdfs/searchcoil_tech_sheet.pdf

Attachments

• ace.jpg
    ace.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 892
  • ace.jpg
    ace.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 903

slarter

Dec 23, 2009
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Re: Here's Some Tips If Using The 6.5" x 9" or 9" x 12" Concentric Coil

Thanks John! You are a wealth of knowledge! :icon_thumleft:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I pull my AT PRO back the audio doesnt cut out like it does on my ACE 250. The signal strength on the meter drops off but the audio doesnt. Every once in awhile the audio will cut out just like the ACE. Is this normal, or should it pinpoint just like the ACE ? They both have stock coils. I do hear a very slight change in the audio, but my ACE 250 cuts completly out.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

lookindown said:
When I pull my AT PRO back the audio doesnt cut out like it does on my ACE 250. The signal strength on the meter drops off but the audio doesnt. Every once in awhile the audio will cut out just like the ACE. Is this normal, or should it pinpoint just like the ACE ? They both have stock coils. I do hear a very slight change in the audio, but my ACE 250 cuts completly out.

Which coil on the AT Pro are you using? That standard DD coil will not work as described in my post. It needs to be a concentric coil.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

John-Edmonton said:
lookindown said:
When I pull my AT PRO back the audio doesn't cut out like it does on my ACE 250. The signal strength on the meter drops off but the audio doesn't. Every once in awhile the audio will cut out just like the ACE. Is this normal, or should it pinpoint just like the ACE ? They both have stock coils. I do hear a very slight change in the audio, but my ACE 250 cuts completely out.

Which coil on the AT Pro are you using? That standard DD coil will not work as described in my post. It needs to be a concentric coil.
My AT Pro has the DD coil. Its the first DD coil Ive ever used. I didn't know if it would pinpoint the same as a concentric. When i detune, it acts more like the concentric. Thanks for the help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread