Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the best detector for the money

Now that I have your attention, let me start by saying I am giving this post for the new person that appears to be confused by the choice of the right detector in an ocean of choices. I am providing the information that I have gathered for the few months I have scoured the Internet and local tradesmen for which detector holds the best promise in detecting for the newbie. Veterans in the field may or may not agree with my assessment, but that is fine because I do not profess to be a professional, just a common sense individual that is attempting to clear up the confussion with the hundreds of opinions and field tests gathered on my own quest of "What is the best detector". Again, these are only my opinions.

The first thing is to find what it is you want to detect. Coins, relics, cache's, gold, or all over the above. The more choices you make, the more digging you are going to do. The frequency used by the detector has a lot to do with what you are trying to find. A 6 or 7.5kHz frequency does a better job of picking up larger objects, and the higher the frequency, the better chance you have at picking up smaller objects, like a small gold nugget. Some gold detectors use 48kHz to zero in on the smallest of gold particles, but would have a hard time IDing a coin. But it is the receiver part of the coil that determines the depth. I have found that 14kHz to 17kHz is a good average for picking up most treasure without sacrificing the detectors ability to ID. The spectrum is broad enough to get everthing from iron to gold to coins equally.

There are many "gimmicks" being used by detector companies to entice the sales of their detectors. Whites and Mindlab use a numerical display of the metals consistency, Garrett uses a visual display of "true depth and image", Tesoro and Fisher use VCO (sound variance) to the table and some even combine a few of these together to help in determining what is in the ground below. In regards to a visual ID, the processor is trying to determine if the signal received matches the information it has on a particular image it possesses in it's memory. Though many companies has tried to fine tune this ability, it is only about 80% accurate at most, unless the coin is laying flat with no other signals to interfer with its diagnosis. Most letters and posts I have read about complaints of Iding say "Id said coin, it was a pull tab". People spend a lot of money trying to buy a machine that just tells them exactly what to dig and what not to dig. But the eventual answer is "dig everything" or "when in doubt, dig". If this is the case, why spend the money on the VDI or GTI? My personal opinion is that the LCD displays use battery life faster and I personally don't like moving my head back and forth, like I'm at a tennis match, trying to use this feature. Plus, in most cases, the display jumps around so much, it's hard to ID so I "just dig it". I have found that sound is still the best identifier. You are actually listening to the field distortion, and it is faster. The processor, in the end, is using this signal to give you the ID display anyways. The biggest part of using sound is, you have to learn more what it is telling you. You are the "processor" and not the machine, in the case of IDing. I prefer to learn using sound over the expensive and questionable GTI and VDI method. One point to make here, is that the 4 tone sound on some VDI detectors are a definite plus, and the newer Matrix M6 by Whites will probably start a trend on using sound to a greater degree just as 4 and 5 speed auto transmissions have left the older 3 speeds in the dust.

Price comes into play for everything. But value to product can make or break ones experience in the treasure field. There are those that will start off with the expensive "do it all" detectors at $1000 plus thinking they will make their money back and more finding the Holy Grail of coins. Then there are those that will buy the $129 Chinese made detectors thinking that the add says they are "perfect" for finding the gold at the end of the rainbow. The best question one should ask him/herself is "how much of my time and money am I willing to put into this hobby, and what do I expect out of it?". If you read some article that someone found a diamond ring with $26,000 and yours is out there for the taking, your setting tourself up for a big disappointment. The odds of running out with a DFX and finding a treasure in a week are two are stacked against you........heavily. It takes time to become one with any detector to know what your new friend is trying to tell you. And just for the record, a person with a $239 Tesoro Silver uMax can find that treasure faster and easier if he know his machine and you don't know yours. You see, I have figured out that if you have a machine that gives good depth, good ground balance, and a good reliable sound, that is really all that is needed to find any metal under the ground. After working with 5 different detectors in the last few months, I have opted to buy the Tesoro Vaquero. My belief is:

1. I can use sound to its greatest degree. The option of VCO in discrimination and having a threshold tone lets me see more with my minds eye than a jumping display of segments and numbers. I can choose to run silent, if I wish.

2. I adjust the ground balance. Some would complain that in an area of different mineralized soils, you have to keep adjusting it ever so often. I really don't care, because I want maximum depth and stability. So I am willing to make those changes when and if I need to.

3. I don't hunt in a group, but if I did, its nice to know I can change frequency.

4. 14kHz is ideal for all metals, except the really tiniest of gold nuggets.

5. Guaranteed for Life.

6. Lightweight.

7. Supertune mode for maximum depth.

8. I can hunt at night, since I don't need a display.

And it's $420. My feeling is, if I can see the field created by the coil in my mind from listening to the sounds, I don't need the display.

Case in point:

The Garrett size display requires you to scan back and forth over the metal hit to give you a reference to its size to display on the screen. Could this not be done with VCO and the sound being maintained while it is moving over the hit? A tin can will keep the tone high and loud for the 5" scan of the can.

And the depth meters only work on coins.

With all this said, if all you want to do is go after buried coins, most detectors will do that. Because coins reside at the top end of the discrimination scale, any detector will find a coin. And the 6kHz frequency is great for that purpose. But if you want more treasure than just coins, you are going to have to work much harder for it.

This is my opinion. And my Garrett 250 with 3 coils, showing it is all I need in my profile, will change.

Dan

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Here's the best detector for the money

Good writeup Phantasman. You say "Also, the thinner or higher the frequency, the deeper the signal can penetrate." I was always under the impression that it was the other way around...the lower frequencies go deeper. It works this way with light, for example, the sky is blue because the shorter blue wavelengths are scattered more than the longer red wavelengths. By the same token, sunrises and sunsets are red because the red light penetrates the atmosphere while the blue light gets scattered away from the observer.

Any electro-magnetic radiation, including the frequencies generated by our detectors, behaves the same...it is light afterall, just not part of the visible spectrum.

HH!
TBGO

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Check Item #2 ground balance. You cannot adjust ground balance on your ACE 250. I can't on mine either. Monty

allanw23

Dec 19, 2006
oklahoma city, ok
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro

I agree that the Vaquero is the best machine for the money. Its a hot little machine!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is true that the Vaquero is a good machine for the money and so are a lot of other detectors. It's how well you learn to use it. A detector like the ACE 250 doesn't have the ground balance and only nine bars for discrimination can not be on the same playing field as others that offer more. Just having fun with what ever machine you have is what it is about.

Nobody is going to get rich with the coins he digs out or the dirt verse the time spent doing it.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The Beep Goes On said:
Any electro-magnetic radiation, including the frequencies generated by our detectors, behaves the same...it is light afterall, just not part of the visible spectrum.

HH!
TBGO

The radiation you are refering to is different, I believe. The phase shifting that is used in electromagnetics, and the reading that the phase demodulators receive for determination, I would think is more sound based than optic. Though the principle brings up a good point. Can a magnet exist in a vacuum. Sound is the movement of air. I may be wrong, have to go back and check my books on vector principles.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Here's something from Wikepedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation)...

~~~~~~~~
Electromagnetic radiation is generally described as a self-propagating wave in space with electric and magnetic components. These components oscillate at right angles to each other and to the direction of propagation, and are in phase with each other. Electromagnetic radiation is classified into types according to the frequency of the wave: these types include, in order of increasing frequency, radio waves, microwaves, terahertz radiation, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays and gamma rays. In some technical contexts the entire range is referred to as just 'light'.
~~~~~~~~

Here's another technical description (http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1990nasa.reptT....L)...

~~~~~~~~
A metal detector includes a detector head having a primary or transmit coil for the transmission of electromagnetic radiation and having a plurality of secondary or receiving coils associated for having voltages induced by transmissions from the primary coil. The presence of metallic objects within the detector head affects the voltage level induced in the secondary coils, a condition which may be detected as indicative of such presence of metallic objects. Each detector head preferably includes a primary coil about the periphery, with a plurality of secondary coils, all in the same plane with the primary coil, situated axially in from the periphery of the detector head in a mutually non-overlapping configuration, preferably about the center of such detector head. A plurality of such detector heads may be supported in coplanar alignment by a common non-metallic support structure for scanning relatively larger areas at a time. The primary coil of each respective detector head may be sequentially pulsed and selectively spaced to avoid interference with adjacent detector heads, thereby avoiding certain inherent disadvantages in applying conventional single detector head frequency-dependent tuned coil technology to multiple head use in an integral metal detector system.
~~~~~~~~

It would follow that, since radio waves are light, longer wavelengths go deeper.

Regardless of the circuitry, the detector sends radio waves into the ground. This induces a corresponding electromagnetic field in metallic objects which distorts the original field which can be picked up by the coil. A magnetic field can exist in a vaccuum and the vibration of matter (sound) doesn't play any part. The following chart shows the entire spectrum...detectors use frequencies in the Long Radio Wave region.

Attachments

• 787px-EM_spectrum.svg copy.jpg
    787px-EM_spectrum.svg copy.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 769

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think you made an excellent choice. I have used many detectors over the years, I am now using a Tejon and I am amazed at what I am finding at my old worked over sites.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What makes the various forms of electromagnetic fields so different?
One of the main characteristics which defines an electromagnetic field (EMF) is its frequency or its corresponding wavelength. Fields of different frequencies interact with the body in different ways. One can imagine electromagnetic waves as series of very regular waves that travel at an enormous speed, the speed of light. The frequency simply describes the number of oscillations or cycles per second, while the term wavelength describes the distance between one wave and the next. Hence wavelength and frequency are inseparably intertwined: the higher the frequency the shorter the wavelength.

A simple analogy should help to illustrate the concept: Tie a long rope to a door handle and keep hold of the free end. Moving it up and then down slowly will generate a single big wave; more rapid motion will generate a whole series of small waves. The length of the rope remains constant, therefore, the more waves you generate (higher frequency) the smaller will be the distance between them (shorter wavelength).

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/about/WhatisEMF/en/

Using the rope analogy. the waves are smaller as the frequency rises, giving a better ability to penetrate. Thinner may have not been the best discription, but it does get the point across, in a simplistic way.

Thanks for the info.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The rope analogy is fine for describing the relationship between frequency and wavelength, but it does not pertain to a frequency's ground penetrating abilities. Longer wavelengths (lower frequencies) = deeper penetration. Shorter wavelengths (higher frequencies) = higher resolution.

If you take an example from astronomy, shorter wavelengths, like visible light, provide sharp, clear pictures, but anything between the telescope and the object, like interstallar dust, obscures the view. If you use a radio telescope, which uses longer wavelengths of light, you don't get clear pictures, but you can see through the interstellar dust.

It basically comes down to the fact that lower frequencies do not interact with matter as much as the higher frequencies do. It does depend on the material the radiation is passing through to some extent, and there are special cases where it is not true, but in general it is true.

There are many scientific and detector related articles that state this fact. It may seem counter-intuitive, but it is beyond question.

TBGO

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

(sigh) OK. Terms removed to alleviate confusion.

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004

Not to belabor the point but I can see your logic higher freqs seemingly more intense and piercing but unfortuantely they are just more easliy dissapated in any media be it earth,water or air. A good example of this in use is the wavelengths that were chosen to be to used to communicate with submarines world wide from the base in CA, Very low freqs as the highs wouldn't make it over such great distances.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe

WTG Phantasman!!! Nice post. I too moved from a ACE250 to a Tesoro. Best machine ever for the money!!!! I got dizzy watching the Ace's display and too many times decided not to dig. The ACE is really great on shallow coins in tot lots, but pales in comparison to my Cibola when in the woods or around old cellar holes. The Tesoros can really handle rusted iron and crap so much better than the rest. You made a fine choice!!!!
BTW My Tesoro at 14khz range is far deeper than any 6.59khz detector I've used!!
HH
Greg

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

Nice write-up!

Our Newbies and less experienced detectorist should read your thread closely. Many people are so caught up with knowing what the target is before they dig! They should remember something about all those target they don't dig - - - - - - - - What was it? Basic small iron and foil discrimination is good, but above that it's a craps shoot. JOE(USA)

Attachments

• index.php.jpg
    index.php.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 483
  • index.php.jpg
    index.php.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 498

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex

I am relatively new to the hobby; but I opted for the vaquero myself. It is true; when you learn what makes what sound; you know what you're digging before you start. Your brain is the most sophisticated computer ever made!! EVERY company is out to make money; and if bells and whistles is what sells a product....they'll max it out on bells and whistles. I say buy what YOU want and LEARN it....don't give up because of impatience. If you want a dfx....get it....but realize it will take time to master it. Read the threads; do research on it; make it a study project.....and go out often. Learn by doing....see what works and what doesn't work. Alot of people have used the particular brand of detector you want to get....pick their brains and see if they'll share their settings and programs. WHATEVER YOU DECIDE....YOU ARE THE ULTIMATE USER. You can succeed or fail....it's up to you to figure it out!

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

I'm confused, because the detector I use is the GB-2 and it's rated at 71kHz, much higher that you posted. I can pick coins up all day long without a problem. True, it's not a deep diver at 71kHz, but you might have to rethink the coin part. The best money for the detector is what one can afford. Just my 2 cents. I can stand with the best coins machine on demo's.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

gregl01 said:
WTG Phantasman!!! Nice post. I too moved from a ACE250 to a Tesoro. Best machine ever for the money!!!! I got dizzy watching the Ace's display and too many times decided not to dig. The ACE is really great on shallow coins in tot lots, but pales in comparison to my Cibola when in the woods or around old cellar holes. The Tesoros can really handle rusted iron and crap so much better than the rest. You made a fine choice!!!!
BTW My Tesoro at 14khz range is far deeper than any 6.59khz detector I've used!!
HH
Greg

I'm glad you agree, Greg. I had looked into the Cibola. There were two things I wanted that the Cibola didn't have. One was the manual ground balance. I like to go to the beach a few times a year, and it seems that the manual GB is a plus over the preset. Since I have never used either Tesoro, I can omly go by what I read. A detector with GB set properly has better depth and discrimination. I really don't know if I need that, but it sounded good on paper. The second is the ability to search in all-metal threshold mode. The Vequero will search in that mode with the discrimination turned to min, while the Cibola would have to have the pinpoint button pushed in all the time to have the same mode. I understand that searching in the AM threshold mode is what one does when searching for small nuggets or tiny jewelry.

I could be wrong, and if I am, someone correct me (plus I would buy the Cibola for $80 less).

Thanks for the input, Greg. I'm glad you like your Tesoro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread