Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How's that for some alliteration? :laughing7:

The hayfield where my gold coin, first half cent, large cent, pair of KGs and Scott's Carolus III 1/2-reale has yielded my second half cent on the year. Date appears to be an 1851, it's not in bad shape either. Reverse pic was taken in the field, obverse at home.

HC obv.jpg HC rev.jpg

It's in peroxide right now. Does anyone know if regular veggie oil is an okay substitute for olive oil?

Upvote 9

Chevyfan2k9

Aug 27, 2013
Conway,sc
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta 4000,fisher f2,garrett gta350,bounty hunter elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I found a few of the George ii and iii half penny's and 3 large cents to name a few last week

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So far in the past week I've found a large cent, 1920 SLQ, 1908-O Barber half, 1913 wheat penny, and this 1851 half cent. Not a bad week 8-)

Chevyfan2k9

Aug 27, 2013
Conway,sc
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta 4000,fisher f2,garrett gta350,bounty hunter elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep not a bad week at all, once I get home I am going to post my finds I have them sorta clean now I just wish I had my camera with me when I was digging them out :(

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow........ sure enough "the field of dreams" right there. Congrats.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep not a bad week at all, once I get home I am going to post my finds I have them sorta clean now I just wish I had my camera with me when I was digging them out :(

Use your phone :) I do

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking coin , My question regarding oil is this - you can easily get to the the oiled look , but can you get back from that oiled look ?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far in the past week I've found a large cent, 1920 SLQ, 1908-O Barber half, 1913 wheat penny, and this 1851 half cent. Not a bad week 8-)
Not a bad week? Son, you've had an astounding week. Congrats on great finds.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking coin , My question regarding oil is this - you can easily get to the the oiled look , but can you get back from that oiled look ?

I was asking because I'd heard that olive oil has some cleaning & preserving properties that help bring out detail that peroxide doesn't. I don't have any olive oil on hand, so I was asking if veggie oil works too. It actually looks pretty good out of the peroxide so I may just keep it that way.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was asking because I'd heard that olive oil has some cleaning & preserving properties that help bring out detail that peroxide doesn't. I don't have any olive oil on hand, so I was asking if veggie oil works too. It actually looks pretty good out of the peroxide so I may just keep it that way.

Nice finds cti4sw! I've found several large cents this year, but I would love to find one of those half cents. Re the olive oil, I used it on a couple of my early finds, including an 1805 large cent. The coin had really nice detail and I was told olive oil would help clean it. All it really did was to darken the coin which detracts from being able to see the detail. I stopped using olive oil and now just gently clean the dirt off with a toothbrush and toothpicks. I would rather leave my coins a little dirty with more natural patina than have them so dark. Just my 2 cents. BTW I have not tried peroxide.

HH

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now why would you soak a nice coin like that in oil? All it is going to do is make a dark mess. Why not just lightly rub the high points with your finger. The natural oils from your hands will bring out the detail from the background if done lightly.

-Buck

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds cti4sw! I've found several large cents this year, but I would love to find one of those half cents. Re the olive oil, I used it on a couple of my early finds, including an 1805 large cent. The coin had really nice detail and I was told olive oil would help clean it. All it really did was to darken the coin which detracts from being able to see the detail. I stopped using olive oil and now just gently clean the dirt off with a toothbrush and toothpicks. I would rather leave my coins a little dirty with more natural patina than have them so dark. Just my 2 cents. BTW I have not tried peroxide.

HH
Now why would you soak a nice coin like that in oil? All it is going to do is make a dark mess. Why not just lightly rub the high points with your finger. The natural oils from your hands will bring out the detail from the background if done lightly.

-Buck

I didn't do an oil soak. Most of the dirt is gone, and handling it has brought out more of the detail. I love it! Think I might hold onto this one for a bit.

hit it with some WD-40

WD-40 is based in fish oil, with a few additives. It'd be no different, possibly worse, than regular veggie oil.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice LC! Must be a great field. Congrats!!

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just Googled the mintage for this year so I could post it on eBay... 147,672! With a mintage that low it's a wonder they're not selling for far more than $100 in better shape.

Vonclemen29

Apr 15, 2013
Central mississippi
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando, minelab xterra 505 9", 6" coil, minelab pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!! Hope I get into a good hole like that! Probably more out there, get to it.

Vonclemen29

Apr 15, 2013
Central mississippi
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando, minelab xterra 505 9", 6" coil, minelab pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must have been a store there, or a wealthy persons house. Back then if you dropped a penny, you'd look for it all week! Ha looks nice

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually it's a hayfield, and to the best of my research, it has always been a hayfield.... but all of our great finds have been coming from one particular section of it, so maybe you're onto something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread