Hey Canadian Friends! What do I have here?

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Traded 4 40% for it so I consider it a CRHing find :thumbsup:

This coin was in a pile of other foreign silvers at my local shop. I have wanted a Canadian half for some time so snagged it up, figured I got a pretty good trade despite the coins poor condition, it is very slightly bent :BangHead:

scaled.php

Upvote 0

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
You have a sterling silver half dollar, so 92,5% purity.
It is a very very key date coin only 50000 pieces were made.
The price of it is probably 125$ in such condition, plus taking that it is a bit bent, it is 100$.
That is still an epic deal of your life, I wish I could trade 4 40%ers for this kind of coin.
This is a steal the deal offer.
Hope that helps.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The price of it is probably 125$ in such condition, plus taking that it is a bit bent, it is 100$.
That is still an epic deal of your life, I wish I could trade 4 40%ers for this kind of coin.
Hope that helps.

Huh, no kidding? I literally found it in a pile of other foreign silvers. They did have one other Canadian half but the owner wanted more for it. Ill have to look again next week.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow real nice coin, I love them older canadians, not to mention they are sterling(.925) silver!!

edit: newfoundland 1899 50c piece- 150,000 minted valued VG8 $8.50 in my world coin book... this is what you have

most of you are thinking the canadian 1899 half dollar- mintage 50,000 valued at $150.00 in VG8, sadly it is not this one...
HH
Buff

Last edited:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NIce coin find.:thumbsup:

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Canadian hunter
Hope that helps.

Huh, no kidding? I literally found it in a pile of other foreign silvers. They did have one other Canadian half but the owner wanted more for it. Ill have to look again next week.

No not really...I hesitate to argue with a Canadian neighbor (since I don't know Canadian coins)...but there are both wide 99 and narrow 99 varieties of this coin offered on ebay with "buy it now" pricing under $40. I still think you made a great trade.

HH,
CD

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meh, I still like the coin even if it is not worth more than melt. Funny that I was after a Canadian coin and came away with pre provincial lol. Ohs wellls. I guess ill have to go back and buy a Canadian silver half!

Does anyone know if BC issued any pre provincial coins?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Beatiful find either way! In a dime roll I found a 1900 Canadian steling dime. It was also slightly bent.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Gotta love the extra 2.5%!

Gotta love the 12,5% extra :laughing7:

Seriously, my bad, I didn't pay much attention, so the coin you have is a NF NON-CANADIAN coin. It is a New Found Land dominion coin, which was in place before the territory became a province of Canada in 1949.
So the mintage is going to triple up and the value decrease to 10$ in VG grade.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So does the fact that its bent automatically downgrade it to VG? Any way to straiten it?

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Squished... not it is only worth the melt value.
You've gotta try wooden hammer with a piece of cloth covering it so that it won't damage the coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread