Hey everyone,

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need some info,

What is the top three detectors for gold,silver and like rings and coins ??

Any info would be great.
Thanks
Have a good one.

There really is no top 3, more like top dozen at least.... Tell us more about your budget, where and what kind of hunting you will do... Water, land, both?

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey �� OU812!
What TH said, up �� there x2.
Narrow your variables a bit. You will then receive a varied response.
GL
Peace ✌

OP
OP
OU812

OU812

Nov 19, 2014
Lol sorry guys,
I'm along the Atlantic coast,
New Brunswick,Canada
Beaches,hills, rocky areas,
I would like to try some water ways and rivers,creeks woods,
And lots of potential homesteads and farm land.

Waterproof and durable,
Really good depth.

Budget is $600 to $1000

Hope this helps, what do you guys think of these?

Minelab
Garrett
Fisher

This will be my first detector as well so, I need something that gives great results too.

If need be I can go a bit higher in price.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt lots of very old river banks and other historic areas that have some very deep finds. I bought a Teknetics T2 SE and after about 16 months I couldn't be happier. This was the first machine ive ever had. The Fisher F75 SE is awesome too. I have both now

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will not touch the top detectors with that budget. But, you can find a great detector that will work for you with the time put in to learning whatever you get.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F75, Minelab Etrac, White's V3I. Can get anyone of those used in that price range.

OP
OP
OU812

OU812

Nov 19, 2014
Right on,
Thanks a lot guys appreciate the advice.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Note that the F75 (hell of a detector) is only waterproof from the coil to the display stalk; 30" or so. You can put rain covers on the display and battery case but they are not immersable. Unless you have a mask you can't dig any deeper than that, anyhow. ;-)

Don't know about the others mentioned.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Get a Minelab explorer II. It's deep, and retains respectable TID to the deeper depths of its reach. I'm sure there's machines that a) go deeper. And b) have better ability in trash/iron. However, it's a question where ....... when anyone asks about "depth", you have to ask: "At what cost?". Because machines that might go deeper, or fare better in iron/trash, may lack reliable TID (you might get fooled by iron a lot, or you may be at a disadvantage when TID comes into play - like park turf, where you might have to be more .... uh ... "selective" of what you choose to chase, versus pass). Or some machine reknowned for deeper depths, hit a brick wall in soils that are more mineralized.

But all in all, the explorer II (or any of the various incarnations) are good all around coin/relic machines.

The learning curve is steep though! The sounds of the flock of sick geese will drive you nuts at first. Hook up with a proficient user, to trade off flagged signals. That's the only good way to learn that machine (saves a lot of time in the learning curve)

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a Minelab explorer II. It's deep, and retains respectable TID to the deeper depths of its reach. I'm sure there's machines that a) go deeper. And b) have better ability in trash/iron. However, it's a question where ....... when anyone asks about "depth", you have to ask: "At what cost?". Because machines that might go deeper, or fare better in iron/trash, may lack reliable TID (you might get fooled by iron a lot, or you may be at a disadvantage when TID comes into play - like park turf, where you might have to be more .... uh ... "selective" of what you choose to chase, versus pass). Or some machine reknowned for deeper depths, hit a brick wall in soils that are more mineralized.

But all in all, the explorer II (or any of the various incarnations) are good all around coin/relic machines.

The learning curve is steep though! The sounds of the flock of sick geese will drive you nuts at first. Hook up with a proficient user, to trade off flagged signals. That's the only good way to learn that machine (saves a lot of time in the learning curve)

I just found one of these for $275 and consider detectors such as this as best bang for the buck in the hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions