Hey! I'm new and I have a question to all of you treasure hunters out there.

Utterly Lost

Jul 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! I'm 18 year old Finnish student trying to decide what i want to do with my life and i hope to get some insights from you experts out there.:hello:

1) Do any of you do this for a living?
Is it even possible, and if so, how would i go about setting my life around founding, studying and selling the stuff you found.

I sound probably crazy for even asking about this, it's just that I've had some problems deciding what i want to do with my life.
I can't make myself to keep studying for a job that i'll end up hating. I want to travel and see the world, meet new people and experience new things.
I'm in my opinion a pretty humble person, i appreciate what I have and had the privilege to be born here in Finland. Secure lifestyle, free universities, the benefits of living here a huge, but it's not what i'm searching. I'm ready to live live in poor conditions with low money as long as i get to see the world in search for beautiful items. I love history and pretty much everything that has seen time. I have the courage to get to know people from different cultures and i speak Finnish and English fluently. I haven't done much treasure hunting, but i'm currently looking for a good metal detector and thinking of checking out the forests for some old war artifacts and other interesting objects. I'm literally ready to drop of everything to pursue my silly dream.
let me know if did something wrong when posting this or if this is even allowed here.

ANY insights highly appreciated, you can laugh at me if you want or tell me to stop pursuing this I'm prepared for that.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I think your question is quite good and perfectly acceptable here.

What ever you do, try to keep your dreams. As long as you are dreaming you are truly alive.

I wish you best of luck in your life choices. There is a whole world in front of you.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome,

Yes many do it for a living, many do it for a hobby, many do it for health reasons, many do it to supplement their income and make more than those who do it for a living.

You are in a great place if you like Gold, mostly very fine stuff there but still pretty good and enough to live well during the off season. I would suggest heading up to Lapland or Norway for gold.

Another suggestion I would make is that you should become an active member here, participate and learn as much as you can, speak up when you can and ask as many questions as you want. Surf the heck out of this site, often you will find better stuff here than in books.

If you want to know about certain machines, I would say first check out the Kellyco website, they seem to carry everything, there site offers plenty of information regarding general questions on all the machines, then you can dig deeper here.

If you want to make some fast cash then get you an At Pro and head down to any Italian, French or Spanish beach and MD within the Host Nations Laws, which we can help you with that here as well. If you need any more info on that then feel free to send me a message and I will guide in the right direction. Down there is just for fast easy cash that can hold you over until you figure out the ends and outs on that gold near you.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard and good luck :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
U

Utterly Lost

Jul 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Very informative. I will definitely start browsing this site, there' so much cool stuff you guys find every day.
I don't know a thing about finding gold, so i gotta do some research on that. I'm surprised to see so many positive comments thanks a bunch! :hello2:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you looking at searching for coins/jewelry or prospecting? For prospecting, head north. For coins/jewelry, go where the people are.

What part of Finland are you in?

Also, keep in mind that there is always competition out there, and that it is virtually impossible to have a new and original idea on making money. Therefore, I wouldn't expect too many folks to know much about where you could go in Finland, as that would be taking money out of their pockets. Whatever you choose to do will require diligence, TONS of effort and EVEN MORE patience!!

OP
OP
U

Utterly Lost

Jul 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no knowledge of prospecting at least yet. I'm in the eastern part of Finland.
Lot's of forests around that i know have some old war equipment, coins and that sort of stuff. Probably nothing extremely valuable tho.
I certainly have a long way to go.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like it was said, never ever lose sight of your dreams. A few people have made a career of treasure hunting, and they really hit it big. Not everyone can be as lucky, so make sure that until you hit it big, you have an education that can carry you through until you do. You are what we call over here a " youngster ". You have 60, 70 or 80 years ahead of you, so don't get impatient. Plan your moves so that you never look back and say I wish I had done that. I'm not sure about your country, but here a good way to see the world is to join the service. I had 28 years with the Air Force, and got to see a lot of the world. Upon retiring, I can fly anywhere the Air Forces flies to for next to nothing, and the retirement pay is very helpful. I wish you all the success and riches you need to fulfill your dreams.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Get an education at a good university. Major in something you enjoy. Geology? History? You can teach others while earning a salary that will allow you to travel the world and see new things. Chasing treasure is a dream, but education will allow you to look for it. Worked for me.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Free education! Channel your studies into a field that can be used in metal detecting or gold prospecting. Such as electronic engineer, metallurgy, geology, etc. Make the education something that can further our sport and you can make your mark in that way. Who knows, we may have another Garrett or Fisher to help us find the next breakthrough! Good luck! And welcome. TTC

tiburciovasquez

Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself would not invest in a career in metal detecting. As others have said, something along the lines of metal detecting could be very enjoyable like archeology or gold prospecting but unfortunately metal detecting is a game of chance. That being said there are a lot of very talented experienced people on here that may have other advice. I have only found a few really good finds in my few years metal detecting and it seems with all the restrictions these days it's getting harder and harder to hunt the world over as well as an influx of competition. I don't mean to be pessimistic as I think you'll find metal detecting as peaceful and rewarding as I do. Sometimes you find nothing but pennies and bottle tops and sometimes you'll find gold rings and silver coins but no matter what you find its always fun. Anyways wish you the best of luck with whatever you do and welcome to this great hobby! :)

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I don't know what you are studying that would lead to a job you hate but you should definitely change over to a new area of study that would lead you to an occupation that meets your criteria. And get a metal detector to swing when your not studying and want some adventure and fun.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The way I chose to go professionally, was to open a business teaching other people how to chase their dreams. I opened a school in Arizona that taught gold prospecting, which included metal detecting for gold nuggets. The money I made from teaching clients allowed me to hunt gold and metal detect all over the world. Take classes in business, marketing, and advertising, and focus on the hospitality / adventure travel business.

Never think small, and never stop chasing your dreams! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions