hey Scepter....beat this...

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
this will always be my favorite....I found it years and years ago walking the beach with one of my sons...it was all alone on a patch of near white sand with the sun lighting it up like it was on fire. We both could see it from ten yards away just sitting there and boy howdy we were in the middle of no where to boot...nothing but us the eagles, herons and otters. You know how somethings are burned in your mind forever? this was like that. Red carnelian gem point from Washington State.

Attachments

• DSC04865.JPG
    DSC04865.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 435
Upvote 0

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice find kinda looks like amber

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
yes it does, a lot of the agates out here do but they are carnelian and chalcedony. amber I do believe is fossilized tree resin.

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
this will always be my favorite....I found it years and years ago walking the beach with one of my sons...it was all alone on a patch of near white sand with the sun lighting it up like it was on fire. We both could see it from ten yards away just sitting there and boy howdy we were in the middle of no where to boot...nothing but us the eagles, herons and otters. You know how somethings are burned in your mind forever? this was like that. Red carnelian gem point from Washington State.

A GEM Point for sure! And a great story / memory to go with it. I've only been hunting artifact for the last four years or so. Until then, I never even knew anyone that had ever found a point from Puget Sound! But now it's in my blood... I also have found carnelian (best one is a broke), jasper, basalt, obsidian. petrified wood, and a couple of jade scrapers. All brought here from somewhere else, which I think makes them a little bit extra special knowing that they were important enough to be carried here. They are all beach tumbled.

I also accidently found an Ellensburg Blue agate point while agate hunting over there (below). It was complete, but my mother-in-law dropped it into the kitchen stainless steel and broke the ears off. Learned a DSCF0194.JPG lesson there! I just changed computers and a lot of my photos didn't transfer, and I need to get them.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I know a feller from Yakima that found one of those. It is the bluest most beautiful point I have ever seen....literally looks like this....

Attachments

• ellensburg-blue (1).jpg
    ellensburg-blue (1).jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 826

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Yes, I've got that site book marked! They've shown a few exceptional pieces -before and after photos when they were finished for sale! This one I found is exceptionally clear: DSCF0145.JPG

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Think those are flaking scars ? I found this one way before I started looking for artifacts, and now I look at everything with a different perspective.

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Reminds me of scaring normally on gun flints. Not that I think it was a flint, just sayin. What is that material? Cool looking stuff for certain!!

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
It's an "Ellensburg Blue Agate", and which is actually chalcedony. From Ellensburg, Washington. Here's the other side, with interesting scars at the top.

DSCF0141.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
it sure looks like the hand of man to me. it also looks like a surface find out in the desert that as been worn down by wind sand and dust. I have a worked piece of Libyan desert glass that shows similar strikes but also shows similar desert "polish".

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Yes, surface desert/sagebrush country out NW of where the wind never stops blowing, Ellensburg.

...I have been there when you can literally "sit down" on the wind...

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
It's an "Ellensburg Blue Agate", and which is actually chalcedony. From Ellensburg, Washington. Here's the other side, with interesting scars at the top.

View attachment 850857

you know...how big is that scraper flake of yours?...after this talk of Ellensburg blue I went to a jeweler I know on the east side who has a large selection of this material. I got to talking to him and he pulled out a piece (nicely saturated with color but with several inclusions), a cube about one inch by one and a half inches long...."paid 12,000$ for that in the rough"....he said....

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
This one is smaller - about 3/4 x 3/4 x 3/8. The largest I have is somewhat egg-shaped one that is creamy blue. about 1 1/4" in diameter. Wife has my stash stored somewhere.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is smaller - about 3/4 x 3/4 x 3/8. The largest I have is somewhat egg-shaped one that is creamy blue. about 1 1/4" in diameter. Wife has my stash stored somewhere.

And I was going to ask to see them. My wife cant stand my hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread