Hey there - From Ontario, CA

Joshadvent

Oct 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

My names Josh. New to treasure hunting / detecting but very interested and excited to get into it. I'm from Toronto area in Ontario, Canada. Any guidance would be much appreciated. I'm looking into buying my first metal detector and I'm not sure what to get, what are the best detectors out there at the moment? Would most likely be doing more land detecting but if there is something that works well both on land and in water that would be great too. Also anyone in the area who'd want to go hunting / show me the ropes is more then welcome. Feel free to PM or respond on here!

Thanks so much

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard Josh! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Canada for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your country.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come ... :hello:

How much are ya wantin' to spend on a detector, you're also gonna need a good digging tool AND a quality pin-pointer and I wouldn't skimp on none of these :thumbsup:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first of all just imho buy a detector thats not gonna break the bank.. you dont want to buy a top of the line detector until u realize u need to put 100s of hours into this and to really get to learn ur machine well...i would suggest a Garret ace or a AT PRO, minelab 705, whites M6 maybe a MXT. u dont have to buy new either theres a whites DFX for 495 in the classified section right now with everything u need to start. a low-mid grade detector will do just fine until u get to know the ropes. thats just my opinion though...but welcome to Tnet...lookin forward to reading ur stories and seein ur finds!

OP
OP
J

Joshadvent

Oct 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much to all of you, wish I saw these replies earlier ! As far as budget I'd like to get one of the better ones but of course I'm open to low-mid grade detectors to get the feel of this since of course it's all new to me. My main concern is that I do go with a cheaper one and walk right over a treasure but not detect it haha

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Josh, welcome from Salinas, CA. And since you are from CA, you have no doubt been informed of the tax I'll be collecting for your ability to detect in this state. The rules here are quite simple: I get 30% of all your finds. I accept paypal. No git going and go out and find some good stuff ! :occasion14:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Josh, welcome from Salinas, CA. And since you are from CA, you have no doubt been informed of the tax I'll be collecting for your ability to detect in this state. The rules here are quite simple: I get 30% of all your finds. I accept paypal. No git going and go out and find some good stuff ! :occasion14:

Sorry his CA stands for Canada not California

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions