Hey there West Coasters explain to us East Coasters how (Claims) work?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Take your pick or google your own......

how to file a mining claim

how to file a mining claim in new mexico

how to file a mining claim in idaho

how to file a mining claim in colorado

how to file a mining claim in az

how to file a mining claim in oregon

how to file a mining claim in california

how to file a mining claim in wyoming

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way more than $200 now,blm.gov has the complete claims guide with all forms,rules,regs and other asundries to mystify. THEN kalif has all their rules/regs and asundry bs filings deadlines also and "TAX" your right to mine your own federal claim as they believe,wrongly,that it's a possessery right as they now tax blue sky and bs also...sic sic sic-John

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
way more???? Basic placer claim cost us $240.00 for the first year.Its when you go above 20 acres that you pay additional$125.00 per 20 acres. Small miners waiver and doing your own maintenance/assessment brings it down to down right fair and affordable.

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
better than what we got here, a lease normally costs in the $$$$ and to buy land PER ACRE is $$$$ - $$$$$

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
way more???? Basic placer claim cost us $240.00 for the first year.Its when you go above 20 acres that you pay additional$125.00 per 20 acres. Small miners waiver and doing your own maintenance/assessment brings it down to down right fair and affordable.

The new maintenance fee as of 7/1/14 is $155.00. In addition there was an increase in the filling fees on the same date.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check with my brother here (TimC). He keeps up with these things. He will talk you through EXACTLY what it costs (in AZ....and why would you want to go elsewhere?). How much, where to send, what the markers need to be, etc , etc. I believe he is the best source here on the net. TTC

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good to know... still inexpensive and fair:thumbsup:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
so I'm always reading about claims in the mid to west coast and never exactly new how it worked or if you own a certain parcel of property or what or is it you get permission from a land owner on a certain area divide the profits or what kinda curious?

So here's how it works out west vaquero;

Much of the western lands are owned by us and managed by the government. Both Nat'l Forest and "BLM" land fall into this category. When you discover a "valuable mineral deposit" you may file a "claim". In order to secure your "claim" various fees are paid to various agencies as indicated above. These fees entitle the "claim-holder" to certain rights. In the past these rights were intended to insure one could extract said minerals at reasonable cost and effort using known and accepted methods.

Currently, it seems, these fees are used to feed the bureaucracy employed to inform the "claim-holder" that the valuable mineral deposit cannot be extracted by any of the known and accepted methods due to some group of individuals' (or critters') claim of harm. (It is unimportant that said "harm" be in fact harmful. It is only necessary that the harmed group or their advocate "feels" "harmed" by the activity.) For instance. In the area of my claim there are a frog, a toad and a Native American tribe who "feel" "harmed" by mining. This prevents my group from using known and accepted methods to extract valuable minerals from our claim.

I believe a majorityof our 20 years of fees went to pay for the "No Parking" and "ESA" (environmentally sensitive area) signs erected along the only access route to said claim:BangHead:. Some may be for the observers to sit and watch for something, I'm not sure what:dontknow: Maybe counting toads.

Last year, along with thousands of others, our association lost 87.5% of our claim because the bureaucrats decided to change the rules on acreage in order to collect 8 times the fees for the "claim" we haven't been able to mine in many years.

I hope this will help enhance your enjoyment of mining out west. .:icon_thumright:

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the United states was developed and expanded from East to West. The land was disposed of to the people in the East. So most land is private property. As the move to go West occurred, the land was disposed of to people just not all of it like it was intended. So there are open state properties with Federal Management. Until disposed of.

One unique place in the world is the Western United States. It is the only place were you can claim property in the ground as yours. Not the land but use of the land that contains valuable minerals. If there was enough minerals to last a long time, then you could buy said land and own it. The land becomes Patented or proven.

Mineral in nature property is considered Real Property. Not the land but the right to the mineral.

Plus all the other posts above.

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the days of old when miners were bold.

Men were Men and could not be told.

Pursued their fate to find fortune and mate.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
In the days of old when miners were bold.

Men were Men and could not be told.

Pursued their fate to find fortune and mate.

But so often found so much more on their plate

In seeking that special mate for a date

once found she's a man, it's already too late

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread