Hey who stole my NAIL!!! I hope this lady is not sitting on it!!!

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
Hello all,

I have not been out much this week. My boss has me working weird hours...However today I ran out at 1!!!
Well after lounging by the pool for 4 hours I figured I had cooled down enough to go sweat my nards off. So I loaded up the car and decided on the Kitty farm as a location. Well on the way there I drove by my favorite field to hunt...I have been monitoring it constantly to see if they have mowed...Well no shocker....They did not mow it yet. (it is about 7 ft tall). So I continued down the road towards the farm. Well about half way there I had to pull over due to a phone call. As I was sitting there I realized I was right infront of a site that Nickel_buff mike_in_PA and myself have all been to...As well as my father and another friend. It seems everyone has made decent finds on this site ranging from Merc's silver washingtons...buffalo's....wheats galore...oh and my dad found a 2 cent piece...The only good coin I have managed here is a 1876 indian head....So I figured...Hey im here....Why not hit it for 20 minutes.....So I set my alarm on my cell phone (if not I would never leave). The first 10 minutes flew buy with 4 or so clad pennies....It was at this point I hit a signal that bounced from nail to halfdollar on my screen. The only way it made a somewhat decent sounding signal is if I only moved the coil 3 inches back and forth over it. Well I decided why not...I will dig it and see what kind of junk it may be....I dug down 5 inches....Pulled out the pinpointer.....Target was right on top still in the hole...Hmm.... I scooped a handful of dirt out and started searching for my nail....only it was not there....Someone slipped a silly 1876 S seated liberty dime in my hole and STOLE my nail!!!! The sneaks...Or so I thought....After running to the car to secure my dime...I did manage to pull a 4 inch long rusty nail from the bottom of that very hole.....I guess ya just never know!!! Thanks for reading!!!

Attachments

• seated today.jpg
    seated today.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 549
  • seated today back.jpg
    seated today back.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 542
Upvote 0

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Wow. Thank the nail, because that's probably the reason the lady was still in the ground. If not, one of the previous detectorists would probably have found her. I still haven't found a seated. Nice dime.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Sweeeeet Find!!!!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
"Ya never know"... unless you dig it like you did! :D

She's a beauty! I'd keep the nail too!

Nice work!

Ridley

OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Yea i am going to keep that nail...It was HUGE and in remarkable shape for being under the ground. Maybe i will use it as a coat hanging nail in my home. I have really been digging just about any blip on my machine as of late. I kind of think she is broken. I get sputtered signals all the time on silver coins...And most anything else for that matter. I just hate the idea of sending it back to whites during prime detecting season. So I guess some time in december I may send it in for service. Unless I purchase another one to use in the meantime. I guess I could use my shadow or ace250 ....I have yet to turn the 250 on. Hmm....Naw I will wait until the ground is frozen! hehe

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Those iffy signals drive me nuts but 3 times out of 10 there worth it, still dont hardly dig the pop top signals though . Wonder what I'm missin. Great dime!!!!!!!!!!!!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No pic...where is the nail.

BTW nice dime...congrats.

NJ

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
That is a very nice dime you have there, outraged. I'm quite envious. I'm approaching 400 silver coins this year, and not one of them is a seated. Those really good finds have been passed up by many detectorists because they were very iffy targets. Nice job on digging those signals and making a great find.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Captn_SE said:
That is a very nice dime you have there, outraged. I'm quite envious. I'm approaching 400 silver coins this year, and not one of them is a seated. Those really good finds have been passed up by many detectorists because they were very iffy targets. Nice job on digging those signals and making a great find.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks!! I have not found quite 400 silvers this year however my seated totals for this year match my last 4 years combined. I am very shocked at how many I have found in the last 3 months alone. I guess it just goes to show you...There is still plenty of good old coins to be had!!! I am sure you will pluck yours soon. keep at it!!!

HH
outraged

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread