hey yall. Fort Oglethorpe , Ga. newbie here

Stephen1226

Jul 7, 2014
Ft. Oglethorpe, Ga
Primary Interest:
Other
hey ya'll. Fort Oglethorpe , Ga. newbie here

Mainly rock, gem and mineral collector. Have been to Dahlonega and round about but found a few minuscule gems....and no gold (drat !!). Franklin, NC turned out to be pretty nice although they seed their dirt.

Would like to get a detector and see what I could find here in Ft. Oglethorpe. This was, until 1949 , an actual army base/fort .

while digging gardens on my property, I have found pottery shards marked US cavalry....Most of the land on which current houses stand was not surveyed or excavated before being developed and I am pretty sure I could find some interesting items.

But back to the rock/gem/mineral collecting......what is relatively close to me in collecting areas where I could make a day trip to find specimens ?

Anyone have any ideas ?

Oh yeah, I am not THAT far from Ellijay/Blue Ridge and I have heard that you can stop your car on the side of the road and find garnets, citrine, quartz crystals and other gems in the rocks beside the highway.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Georgia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread