Hi all

rob.k1978

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2007
Hello everybody.Its my first time here.First of all,i want to say,that this is for sure,the most interesting website,i found in past 8 years of using internet.I a lot of interesting news about treasures.I love this website!!! I would like to also find something old,but i have few questions first....Is it legal to dig anywhere i want,like for example open field,or forests?do i need to have license to do it? and most important,where are the best places for digging.I live in Chicago.Thank you and once again... best website!!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Welcome to Treasurenet forum. You struck a raw nerve question. There are those that tell you to "ask" to hunt even public parks and schools - on the one timid extreme, to those that tell you that if it's not posted, fenced, or an obvious private yard, that you can use judgement to help yourself, as seemingly no one would care. I side with the latter opinion. Heck, I've even walked along the railroad tracks without asking Southern Pacific their permission! Shame on me :P

Texas Coin Hunter

Aug 24, 2007
Kenedy, Tx.
Detector(s) used
BH land star & Pioneer EX made by BH & Whites Bullseye ll Pin Pointer
Hi you would be better off if you find out who
owns the property & get their permission
before some one comes up too you & says to
get off the property or were gonna call the
law on you. Here is a simple permission slip
just copy & paste it into Word pad & save it
then all you have todo is print it out when
you find out who is the owner of the property.

I recommend getting written permission every time you hunt on private property and especially if the land owner questions liability if you hurt yourself. I am not a lawyer but it seems to me that the following forms should meet your needs. You keep the top one and give the bottom one to the landowner.
Permission to Metal Detect on Private Property
I, ________________________________________ agree to allow (type your name and address), to use a metal detector to search for and recover buried relics, coins, and other artifacts located on my property at __________________________________________. It is understood that recovery includes the digging of small holes which will be repaired as nearly as possible to the original condition. This permission shall remain in effect until such time that I revoke it in writing.

___________________________ ________________
Property Owner Date

Liability Waiver Form
In consideration of permission to use a metal detector to search for and recover buried relics, coins and other artifacts on the property located at _________________________________and owned by ________________________________. I, (type your name), agree to release from all liability for personal injury or property damage that I may suffer as a result of the owners negligence while on the owners property only during the period and at the time of such search. This release shall be binding and forever discharge __________________________________ , his/her heirs, executors, and administrators, from all actions, causes of action, claims and demands for, upon, or by reason of any damage , loss, injury, or suffering which I may sustain while engaged in metal detecting on the owners property.

_____________________________ _________________
(type your name & address) Date

I recommend getting written permission every time you hunt on private property and especially if the land owner questions liability if you hurt yourself. I am not a lawyer but it seems to me that the following forms should meet your needs. You keep the top one and give the bottom one to the landowner.
Permission to Metal Detect on Private Property
I, ________________________________________ agree to allow (type your name and address), to use a metal detector to search for and recover buried relics, coins, and other artifacts located on my property at __________________________________________. It is understood that recovery includes the digging of small holes which will be repaired as nearly as possible to the original condition. This permission shall remain in effect until such time that I revoke it in writing.

___________________________ ________________
Property Owner Date

Liability Waiver Form
In consideration of permission to use a metal detector to search for and recover buried relics, coins and other artifacts on the property located at _________________________________and owned by ________________________________. I, (type your name), agree to release from all liability for personal injury or property damage that I may suffer as a result of the owners negligence while on the owners property only during the period and at the time of such search. This release shall be binding and forever discharge __________________________________ , his/her heirs, executors, and administrators, from all actions, causes of action, claims and demands for, upon, or by reason of any damage , loss, injury, or suffering which I may sustain while engaged in metal detecting on the owners property.

_____________________________ _________________
(type your name & address) Date

Old Schools City Parks
City Parks Old Churches
Old Home sites Picnic Areas
Swimming Areas Athletic Fields
Rodeo Arenas Campgrounds
Ghost Towns Beaches
Roadside Parks Sidewalk Grassy Areas
Rural Mailbox Reunion Areas
Revival Sites Old Fort Sites
Fishing Spots Old Barns
Flea Markets Roadside Fruit Stands
Old Drive Inns Old Motels Sites
Town Squares Rural Dancing Sites
Historical Markers Old Gas Stations & Gen. Stores
Playgrounds Clothes Lines
Old Houses & Structures Fairgrounds
Local GI Forum Hall

Don't get discouraged when some folks tell you
NO WAY because theres still more places too hunt
than just theres, if you have a local Historical Society
see if you can join it, thats what i did & it has helped
me locate lots of information & locations too hunt.

Dave

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Welcome to Tnet and the hobby of Metal Detecting. I think Texas Coin Hunter has it all covered. However, where I live south of Boston Mass. all public lands are open except those run by the Dept. of Parks and Recreation. Beaches, Lakes, Ponds, tot lots, fields I hunt. Private property I ask permission or go with someone that has already done so.

Maybe you can find Al Capone's private stash. He can't bother you now!!
HH Roy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions