Hi-Banking water source without electric or gas pump

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mother nature and a three hundred year old solution. Trust me, with everything hi-tech and wrapped in glitz and bangles, how about a pump that does NOT use electricity from a battery or a gas engine to run it. It's called a water-hammer or ram pump. With a four foot drop or head to pressurize the beast, it can lift water forty or more feet, volumes will vary. I plan to install a few to lift about 30,000 gallons of water a day for a planned 90 acre pecan orchard on the farm. It requires no motor, no pump with expensive moving parts to maintain, no electric bill to pay, no taxes to anyone, etc.

Though it is not a solution for every need, it can however, create a source of storable water in remote or off the grid environments where a high lift need must be filled in a practical manner. Use your imagination to apply this innovative idea for creating a water supply away from the stream beds, and driving Smokey and the local tree huggers crazy with your ingenuity. Californicate them for once!

images
images

Numerous variables, such as vertical fall, vertical lift, rate of ram pulsation and length of pipe on intake and discharge, will affect the amount of water a ram will pump at your site. Output range is 700 to 1,800 gal./day for a 1-inch ram; 700 to 3,000 gal./day for a 1 1/2-inch ram; 700 to 4,000 gal./day for a 2-inch ram and for a 3-inch ram, up to 16,000 gal. and more. Above figures were determined by actual use of rams in the field. Exact output of a ram at your site, however, will vary according to circumstances. Generally with a ratio of 1-foot drop to 10-foot lift, your pump will deliver approximately 15 to 20 percent of the water that it uses. A pressure gauge connected to the discharge end of the pump will tell you how high the water is in the delivery pipe when the pressure reading is multiplied by 2.31.

A good starting point for your adventure to create a water supply without the battery and pump, try this
-

https://www.google.com/search?q=hyd...X&ved=0ahUKEwiQoNGu-unKAhUMKiYKHV4JAQcQsAQIPg

Videos-

Upvote 0

rivets

Jan 31, 2016
where I am
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Other
Love it ... the physics of gravity on a liquid mass ... and you can also leapfrog them rams to lift the water even higher ... and if you install reservoir valve's the pump's will have automatic on/off .... plus if you also go with hydro pneumatic accumulator's maintenance will be minimum :thumbsup:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea!

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hydraulic Rams have been around for some time. Thanks for the post----it is perfect way to move water uphill with natures energy (gravity).
Quote "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]John Whitehurst is credited with inventing a non-self-acting ram pump in England in 1772. By 1796 a Frenchman, Joseph Michael Montgolfier, had added a valve, which made the device self-acting, making the ram pump almost a perpetual motion machine when water supplies were steady."
The Ram Company, Home Page.

[/FONT]

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seen one of these used to power a gen set . The gen set was then used to power a sawmill . Pretty cool setup in my opinion . I wonder how many it would take to run a mining operation . Man talk about cutting cost .

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is how to use water for almost silent dredging. Water + gravity = Gold.:occasion14:
Marvin
images

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The diagram is great... but this will provide the water at the top left in the first place. The whole idea is to get the water for your wash plant/sluice away from the regulated or prohibited areas. This way the user can process the high-bank feeder material in a manner that the input and discharge is not near a stream or river. I've viewed videos where folks have loaded buckets from a high bank and moved them elsewhere to process, because water was just not where the gravel was. This way, we can move the water to the paydirt with less effort and cost. I'm particularly in favor of the less effort part.

The part that states -"Water + gravity = Gold" does not apply to the two streams on my farm in NC. I could process twenty dump truck loads and probably never get a single gram... just twenty dump trucks of classified sand and gravel.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, they are loud but they work. I used to have a couple laying around here somewhere... :evil6: I used to spend the night at a friends cow camp and he had one of these just outside the house... Man was it hard to sleep at night there. tap tap Tap TapTap Tap
Snoring SNORING Snoring TAP TAP TAP

get the picture... lol

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Reed -
I did not promise quiet, just an inexpensive elevated water level. But there appears to be means to "quiet" them or one could create a concrete structure of sorts to absorb or muffle the noise.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff95531--------remember you need a gate valve at the bottom so you can initially fill the pipe from above. After that when you are ready for cleanup just close the valve and the water will stay in the pipe for next time.
Happy sluicing.:occasion14:
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread