Hi everyone

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very good advice gravelwasher! Those are pretty foolproof to set up and clean out super easy too!
...and really good at catching super- fine gold if you set it up with a little slower water flow.

Mine it and recycle it!

Last edited:

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Hello Kevin,

Sounds like you have found the joys of working with the drop riffle as well. Very easy clean outs, I have even forgot my bucket and just emptied into my pan using my hands to splash the water from the creek into the sluice and out into the garrett super sluice pan. Also it dosent collect all the non gold as bad as others..ie. it leaves you with less concentrates more concentrated with gold. I compare all the sluices I use against the keene A52 as a standard for a good performing sluice

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right you are, I have the Expedition model and love it...especially for situations where there isn't enough water force to use my Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector :-)

Mine it and recycle it!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
4-6 mesh is my usual but I will go to 8 or 12 mesh if I am in slower water but then I may quickly pan the stuff between 4-12 mesh just in case there is something bigger (almost never ever happens)

Mine it and recycle it!

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
California Sluice Box sluices I hear are easier to set up than the Angus sluices. I remember someone saying that the Angus sluices were more picky on set up.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chief701,
Do you KNOW you have gold? If not then you need to search for it and that really means a pan and learning how to pan and that is a cheap way to go. If you have gold then how much dirt sample can you move? Are you good and strong and in good shape? For most sluices a person needs to classify, sort out the big stuff, and only run the small stuff through the sluice. But if you are not really into the work of sorting then take a look at some of the smaller Bazooka Gold Trap (sluice box). The BGT does not require classifying of samples, saves a lot of time and effort and works (read about it here on Tnet is the Sluicing section). A bit more costly but It Works.........................63bkpkr

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nuggetshooter323 said:
California Sluice Box sluices I hear are easier to set up than the Angus sluices. I remember someone saying that the Angus sluices were more picky on set up.

...happy to say the angus Mackirk sluices are quite easy to set up and pretty idiot proof (referring to me of course)

Mine it and recycle it!

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KevinInColorado said:
...happy to say the angus Mackirk sluices are quite easy to set up and pretty idiot proof (referring to me of course)

Mine it and recycle it!

Hey Kevin, now that you've got a gold trap, which do you prefer? The Bazooka or the MacKirk?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Choose a sluice for your area, fast water = larger sluice & carpet, less classification. Low water = small sluice, narrow like the ezSluice which is a good cheap way to start.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
drywallman said:
Hey Kevin, now that you've got a gold trap, which do you prefer? The Bazooka or the MacKirk?

If I have enough water flow for it, I prefer the bazooka for sure - no classifying, high production. Both excel at fast setup, fast cleanup and great retention of fine gold. The Mackirk is great when water flow is limited and you can see gold in the skid area and sometimes even in the first riffles so that is fun...especially for a newer prospector or when you are unsure about the pay layers and want to keep an eye on what you are catching.

The production in the Bazooka is so fast/good that I don't think I would ever choose to use an A52 again! You do need about 3 inch deep water and ideally some drop so you can set it up at a slope to help the grizzly self clear. The trap itself works fine flat or tilted.

Mine it and recycle it!

Last edited:

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kevin, ya what I'm dealing with us low water, seasonal creeks mostly... I'm thinking about mabey the new super mini, by bazooka? More test pans will tell :-)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The supermini is a smart idea. I have seen one in action and it does use A LOT less water than my Prospector.

Mine it and recycle it!

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have put super mini in Lot of different creeks since I got it a couple months ago. The most impressive one was a small gulch with about a 2 foot wide stream, running very slowly. I created a dam and put supermini down and it ran like a champ. I love my bazookas. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread