Hi Folks; Here is the latest regarding the Law Banning deecting ---

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on DCR Beaches in MA.
It is Posted here below:

Hi Folks; Here is my take on all this ok. The DCR is STILL trying to get the word out after all this time that the Law in question has been Repealed. I will now make it a point to make the calls this week. I just got home from the hospital ok. I think it is a case of them dragging their feet and kind of expecting us to do all the work for them. I'm sick of this bureaucratic bull.
I'll put a COLD stop to it this week. I fully intend to inform them as well as you that it is ILLEGAL for DCR Rangers to "MAKE UP" arbitrary rules when engaging and stopping the Public (us) in regards to these matters. This Law is no longer Enforceable and it IS a CIVIL RIGHTS Violation for DCR Rangers to stop ANYONE from detecting on DCR Beaches. They do NOT have the Power to create "Improv" Laws as they see fit.
That the DCR Rangers are in fact Violating each of yours Civil Rights and that if this Practice continues then "WE" will file a Civil Rights Lawsuit seeking a DIRECT Court Ordered stopping of this Practice and actual ReNumeration for ANY person(s) who have been adversely affected by this ILLEGAL Practice. You spent good money to come to the beach you were stopped at to enjoy yourself as is your Right in the form of gas, hotels, airfare etc.. Our taxes paid for these beaches in effect.
It is ILLEGAL for DCR Rangers to "make up" Rules or Laws whenever they feel like. Also, "NO" you DO NOT have to "turn in" ANY item you find. That constitutes an ILLEGAL SEIZURE.
I want it to be known that I do have a Lawyer who will be more than glad to take this case for sure. I "PROMISE" you that. This crap is going to stop "NOW". !!! :angry4:
If you are approached by a DCR RANGER and they try to stop you tell them to contact the Commissioners Office at once. Also PLEASE if you plan to detect the beaches then print out a copy of the emails sent between Roger Barbrick and Commissioner Jack Murray. I will post the Contact names at the end of this Post here ok.
I will also be Posting the events as they unfold this week ok. I'm tired of seeing our Civil Rights being Violated by overzealous Rangers and Law Enforcement. This one is going to STOP NOW.!!!
This is Boston. Home of the Tea Party Revolt. We still feel and act the same way today as they did 200 years ago when it comes to Our Rights being Violated.!!! :angry5:
Here is a copy of my Post here I made on June 30th. Please note the Contact Names ok. Thank you.

Hi Folks; Here is the latest Notice from the DCR to Roger Barbrick. The DCR is now working to get the word out to the Ranger Stations in MA ok. It may take a little time so if you are approached by a Ranger then please tell them to contact the DCR Commissioners Office and talk to the Commissioner ok. The Commissioner has told his Secretaries about the changes to tis Law ok.
Here is a copy of that email ok. It includes some other names of contacts you can use when talking to the Rangers ok.
Here it is :

I received the response below from Jason Silva of the Mass DCR regarding the email I sent on the 24th. It appears that it is a matter of the "front line" employees getting the word that we can detect the beaches and it also appears as though they are working on that. I am recommending that anyone going to the Mass DCR beaches print one of the emails that I forwarded earlier, that contains the message from Shaneice Palmer, and show it to any DCR Ranger or other employee if approached.
I will keep you posted as needed.
Thanks
Roger Barbrick

I hope this clarifies this problem ok. The contact persons names are : Jason Silva and/or Shaneice Palmer ok.
Happy Hunting. PEACE:RONB
thumbsup.gif

I will Post DETAILED CONTACT Info List that list Names, Offices and Phone Numbers this week. I will try to simplify it for you ok. If your stopped you can then just whip out your cell phone and have the Commissioner talk to the Ranger DIRECTLY on the spot and you can then continue to detect the rest of the day at your own leisure ok. In the meantime please keep a copy of the emails from me and Roger on you when at the beaches ok You will ALL be hearing from me very shortly ok. Please REMEMBER ; be Polite in all cases. Get ALL the Info you can and send it to me or Roger ok. Location, Dates, Times, Ranger Names, Badge Numbers etc.. Thanks. Until then. PEACE:RONB :thumbsup:

Moresound

Jun 26, 2014
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right Ron. :thumbsup:

Taking back our public lands one parcel at a time.
Now let's get a start on those nasty federal held lands. For the Cold War is over.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Ron.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good job ron !!! thank you

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
........Also, "NO" you DO NOT have to "turn in" ANY item you find. That constitutes an ILLEGAL SEIZURE. ....

Ron thanx for all your hard work on keeping abreast of this, typing it out and reporting this update, etc...

But in regards to your comment above (about turning in things), I'm afraid you may be mistaken about that. Because I'm willing to bet that there IS state lost & found laws, that .... do indeed tell us (in ANY state) to turn in found items to the police. It usually has a value threshold criteria. Like items of $100 or more value, etc... Also there is no doubt existing verbage that forbids "taking", "removing", "harvesting", "collecting", etc.... Such verbage exists in every park, beach, campground, forest, etc.... Obviously put there so that no one thinks he can start cutting down trees to sell for firewood. Or taking home the park benches. Or harvesting the beach sand for commercial sale, etc.... But can such rules be applied to singular coins, rings, etc... ? SURE! Just ask long enough and hard enough, and someone can tell you that ... technically, there's no reason those things don't apply to us too :)

OP
OP
B

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi TOM-In-CA; I understand your point. Here they are trying to make people turn in pennies, nickels, dimes, the occasional ring etc. With them there is NO EXCEPTIONS. To us here in MA, WE say BULL.!!! :violent1:

If you are stupid enough to follow a Mandate like that from a phlebe Ranger that does not know or care that this Law is DEAD then good luck to you.

This form of Tyranny has no place here in MA or anywhere else. This Law is DEAD and UNENFORCABLE PERIOD.!!! :director::BangHead:
To my last breath as an American I WILL fight this. That's NO BULL.!!! YUP, I'm ticked at their arrogance. :angry9:
Now how to deal with them??? :icon_scratch: We tried honey. No luck. Then We tried Common Sense. No Luck. We Attacked via the Petition. Limited Luck. Now to finish this job. I plan to launch a phone and letter Campaign to EVERY DCR Ranger in this State informing them that trying to create and Enforce "IMPROV Laws" is ILLEGAL and a DIRECT violation of Our Civil Rights and making it VERY CLEAR that to continue these practices WILL be met with a Civil Rights Lawsuit. Then I think they will get the message that this Law is DEAD.!!! That Dead is DEAD and they are wrong.
As I've said, I DO have a Lawyer who I have already talked to and who is willing to take on this case. As God is my Witness I will pursue this to the very end.
Now Folks; If you have been stopped by a DCR Ranger on a MA beach then PLEASE get all the info you can such as location, date, time, Rangers Name and/or Badge Number and context of conversation had. Send it to me via PM and I will respond STAT ok.
In the meantime if you are planning to detect on MA beaches then please print out and keep a copy of the Plethora of Contact info I have already provided above and in my other Posts here ok.
Lastly, in ALL situations please be POLITE ok. Thanks.
Stay tuned folks; It's gonna get hot around here.
I will Post any and ALL news on this issue as it comes in ok. Thank you very much for all your support Folks. It does mean a lot ok.
Until late; PEACE:RONB :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

...If you are stupid enough to follow a Mandate like that from a phlebe Ranger that does not know or care that this Law is DEAD then good luck to you....

Huh ?? What ?? We forumites are AGHAST at your lawlessness . Don't you know that the md'rs code of ethics says "know and obey all laws" ? And here you come on to a family friendly public forum OPENLY advocating the breaking of a law? How can you be so cruel and senseless ? I for one would dutifully turn in all my pennies and dimes. No doubt borne out of rules/laws that forbid harvesting, collecting, taking, etc.. Sheesk what's next ? You're probably going to help yourself to the park benches, robbing banks, etc...., right?

And what do you mean that the rangers "don't care" ? If they "didn't care", then why oh why did they cite you the laws/rules saying you must turn in those items? Obviously that means they DO care. If you find one who says he doesn't, well then that simply means you didn't ask high enough and long enough of enough state park lawyers and archies. Be sure to use words like "take", "remove", "dig", "cultural artifact", "indian bone", etc... And I GAURANTEE you that "someone will care". So now hurry, go do the right thing by asking. And then turn in all your clad, foil, tabs, etc... We're counting on you to recant of your waywardness! :headbang: :hello:

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a word of warning. Those politicians who come up with new laws don't like to have them shot down. Somebody high up with a "big head" is going to fight ugly to get their way. That's how many politicians work, they don't want to be known as the guy who never gets anything new passed.

Do some research and see what happened in Kentucky a few years ago when they tried to get the detecting ban on all state parks changed. Metal-detector bill dies » Local News » Daily Independent (Ashland, KY)

All it takes is one archie with the right political connections and you guys are SOL. Playing the civil rights game will just p!ss them off.

Who specifically tried to ban detecting on beaches? What was their reasoning? What prompted this?

Educate those making the ultimate decision on this ban. They need to know demographics of those who detect (age, veterans, disabled, etc), how much of a financial impact this hobby has on the state (sales tax from detectors/equipment, money spent on batteries, food, gas...), and the positive environmental impact (removing sharp metal from the beaches). Historical sensitive sites should be off limits, make sure they know that you agree on this. Be specific on where you want to detect, like beaches into the water and improved parts of state parks.

If you read in the above new story, the achie who shot down the Kentucky bill simply threw out radical accusations that people detecting were going to loot civil war battlefields if the law passed. If that law had specifically said what sites it would allow detecting at (and that historical sites would remain off limits), then his argument would have been null.

Best of luck, but I think you need to rethink your battle plan.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Jeremy, regarding everything you wrote: All great reasons why the less politicians and archies think of us .... THE BETTER! Therefore the LAST thing I want them to need to do, is give thought to any matters involving metal detectors. Otherwise it just becomes a "pressing issue" that they need to make decisions on, etc....

OP
OP
B

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tom-in-Ca; I do advocate to follow the Laws but I also advocate fighting Tyranny.!! :occasion14:

To Jeremy S; I understand your point. If you have followed this whole discussion located in the Blue Section of the General Discussion Forum along with my other Posts on this Topic you will plainly see that I HAVE laid out my case very PLAINLY for all to see. That now even those who Authored this Law do agree with Us and have actually Repealed this Law. Another words, this Law is DEAD. The problem is that the Commissioner has not gotten the Word out to the DCR Ranger Stations in this State. As a result these Rangers are now arbitrarily making up their own versions of this Law and actually Enforcing it upon the people. Even though this situation can be remedied it has not been via the fault of the DCR Commissioner. Thus the bottom line is that peoples Civil Rights are now being violated. This is called a form of Tyranny.
I plan to remedy this situation ASAP. I have been very busy the last few days but I have already started the ball rolling to get the Word out to these Rangers. I also plan to publish a list of the people in Commissioners Office who ARE in Full Knowledge of this situation and who "DO" have the Power to override any Rangers actions regarding these matters. So as I hope you can now see WE are in excellent shape to finish this job once and for all ok.
I also have advocated extensively that WE are to be Polite in all cases as well. I hope this clarifies this matter for you and others as well. That List will be published here next week ok. PEACE: RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Last edited:

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"The problem is that the Commissioner has not gotten the Word out to the DCR Ranger Stations in this State.:

Do you think that this "commissioner" guy had anything to do with trying to get this law put into place before it was repealed?

Getting the word out in this day and age can be accomplished in just a few seconds via email. If they are giving the excuse that the Rangers never received word of this law being changed, then it sounds like they are feeding you a line of BS. Somebody is holding a grudge!

Good luck in your battle.

OP
OP
B

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jeremy; I agree totally. I'm getting BS'd. The Commissioner did Not Author the Bill. It was Authored by a political hack. Thing is that now the Commissioner knows it is DEAD he is still not doing anything about stopping the Enforcement of it.
I'm about to light a fire under his butt for sure. Enough is enough. Anyways, I'll keep you all informed ok. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread