Hi from Alabama

Jul 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to the site and the world of metal detecting. In the back of my mind, I have wanted to try metal detecting for some time as a new hobby. I do not own a metal detector, but would like to purchase one soon. As a newbie, any advice on selecting a metal detector would be appreciated.
I look forward to meeting new people who share this new curiosity for the world of metal detecting and learning from the pros.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Alabama for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and good luck :icon_thumleft:

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come aboard ... :thumbsup:

As far as a detector, a Garrett ACE 350 is a good entry level machine I.M.O. BUT ... it will depend on how much you're willin' to spend .

You're also gonna need a pin pointer and a good quality diggin' tool

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello WeekendTreasureHunter,

Welcome to the forum!

I would like to dove tale on DirtWarrior's post.

If you have the money, I would go with the AT pro. You can run this machine to operate as an ACE series detector with more functions. After you get familiar with the machine you can set the machine to Pro-mode and really reap the benefits of the machine. IMHO, I would start in Pro-mode (I did) and learn that mode from the start. The learning curve is not steep and the benefits of the mode out ways any initial pain.

You will need a pin pointer, save yourself the grief and purchase the new Garrett pin pointer AT, its waterproof and has many audio functions, plus it's orange so you will not lose it! The digging tool I use for groomed lawns and historical areas is the Predator raptor model 31 (predatortools.com), pricey but worth every penny if you need precision plugs. Lastly you will need a finds/trash pouch and gloves (Lowes three pairs for $9.98). If you ask anyone here on the forum, we all have many more items we use, but this will get you started in the hobby.

Best Regards,

Doc

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet! There are a lot of equipment choices depending on your budget, desired targets, area you will detecting, features wanted. Feel free to give me a call if I can answer any questions for you. Here is a page for basic equipment needs on our website New to the Hobby.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000 w/NEL SS, Nokta Impact, Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Minelab Equinox 800, White's Coinmaster 4/DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site! There's a lot of good detectors, with a big price range and each one has it's own strengths and weaknesses. If at all possible get your hands on one before you buy one. Nothing beats the way you interact with it. Good luck!

NateD

Aug 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to the site and the world of metal detecting. In the back of my mind, I have wanted to try metal detecting for some time as a new hobby. I do not own a metal detector, but would like to purchase one soon. As a newbie, any advice on selecting a metal detector would be appreciated.
I look forward to meeting new people who share this new curiosity for the world of metal detecting and learning from the pros.

I'm from Alabama too. My first and only metal detector is a Garrett AT Pro. It took some practice to really understand what the machine was trying to tell me but with some perseverance I've come a long way. In fact, I found my 22nd gold ring today and I've owned the detector for about 15 months.

What part of AL are you from? I'm near the Auburn area.

dnewbury2

Mar 20, 2004
Cherokee, AL, Occupied C.S.A.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Tesoro Golden Sabre and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of Alabama are you in? Also a bit of advise on choosing a metal detector. If you have red clay like we do here in NW Alabama don't buy a detector without an adjustable ground balance. I had a Garret Ace 350 and had to sell it because of the chattering and false signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread