Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi, I'm new and live in CANCUN, MEXICO!

Hi everybody ! I'm new to Treasurenet and excited to be here!

I used to live in the U.S. but have moved to Cancun, Mexico and was always interested in beach metal detecting. For those of you who have visited Cancun, Mexico you already know how crowded the beaches get during summer time and how many tourists get hammered. Every year so many people travel from UK, Canada, and U.S. to go to the beautiful beaches, yet the locals here and tourists never metal detect the beaches.

The main beach is forum beach by all the nightclubs where on the weekends the locals visit and tourists also. Because of the concentration of people here on forum beach and no one ever metal detecting i think i could have a shot at finding some interesting finds. On the other hand there are hotels, 5 star hotels that charge 500 a night that have visitors who lounge away on the beach strip covered in jewelry.

Which do you think would be better to metal detect fancy hotels (The beach is public i'm free to search and police can't say anything) or public beaches with a high concentration of people?

Does anyone have any history on cool treasure stories in Cancun, Mexico or nearby ?

Which part of the beach is the best part to search for? The wet sand? The dry sand? In the water? I have a Garret Ace 250 and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Wellcome to TNet! Since you have an ACE 250 you are limited to the dry sand where your detector will work fine. In the wet sand and in the shallow water it will react to the salt and mineralization and give false signals. You could turn the sensitivity way down to avoid these false signals but still there is the risk of damaging your detector with the sea water. I would recommend to use the ACE in the dry sand only, you will find enough clad to buy a used water detector in no time (thats what I did myself- started with an ACE and bought a used Excalibur 1000 with results from my hunts). Nobody can tell which of your two beaches will be better. I would recommend you to try both for a few times and compare your results. Soon you'll find yourself preferring one or the other. At public beaches you might find more clad and less jewelry but also more junk. At the beach in front of the resorts you might find nothing but teaspoons and roomkeys. Or a big platinum ring with diamonds. You never know and no one can tell for sure what you can expect. Maybe at the resort beach you don't find that much but you soon prefer it because of the eye candy over the public beach where local punks harass you and hundreds of kids don't leave you detecting in peace. Or you find it best to detect in front of the resorts during the day and at the public beach in the early morning. Nobody can give the perfect suggestion for your beaches and situation. It's a hobby and you've got all the time you want - I would take the detector and try the different beaches a few times and at different times of the day. Observe the people at the beach, compare your finds and you will find your own preference pretty soon I'm sure. Good luck, happy hunting and I'm looking forward to see your posts and finds in the future.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Mate you owe it to yourself to get a water machine - you live at the beach as I do - why limit yourself to the dry - alot of the bling is out there in the liquid! Also as wrecker said - take your time and forget the guessing game - Md it all!
Think like Kilgore ..... I love the smell of metal in the morning!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ace 250 is only good in dry sand,in wet sand it will false target,get yourself a water machine and get in the water knee to chest deep in front of big hotels and you should clean up.
water machines,whites dual field,minelab excal,tesaro sand shark and there are others.Good luck,and let me know how you do leprechaun.

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
The ace 250 is only good in dry sand,in wet sand it will false target,get yourself a water machine and get in the water knee to chest deep in front of big hotels and you should clean up.
water machines,whites dual field,minelab excal,tesaro sand shark and there are others.Good luck,and let me know how you do leprechaun.

Guys i really appreciate all the quick responses! You guys are the best !

I agree after doing more research i have decided to make a purchase, i am looking for a good waterproof metal detector. So far i have read about Garret GTP 1350 being excellent in wet sand but it is not waterproof so i'm hesistant but the price is awesome ! The next in mind which i have heard is AMAZING is the headhunter P.I. only problem is it leaks which is disappointing, everyone says amazing piece of machinery but the box leaks over time.

Guys which FULLY waterproof metal detectors do you suggest that i can afford, i would prefer a PI machine and DIG EVERYTHING =) my price range is up to about 700-800

As for beach metal detecting i decided to go early mornings about 5 A.M. during low tide and with a water proof machine and wade into the water a good amount. I'll end up pretty much where everyone swims during high tide !

2 million visitors a year come to the beaches of Cancun, Mexico. Every year thousands of celebrities visit and even more tourists from around the world. My mom in 10 years who regularly goes to the beach has never seen anyone metal detecting here =) The island Isle de Mujeres was said to been a pirate island where pirates would bury treasure and the mayans too. Their is so much history involving treasure here, if anyone has any cool stories feel free to share !
So if anyone is interested in coming to Cancun let me know !

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
I have a vacant apartment that i could rent out, 2 room about 15 mins from the beach. Much, much, much cheaper then the hotels, i don't know how long it will stay vacant but if any HONEST good people are interested in coming to Cancun soon i wouldn't mind renting out the apartment dirt cheap for some lessons on metal detecting. It's so beautiful here and your trip could get payed for by just metal detecting !!

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
I have a vacant apartment that i could rent out, 2 room about 15 mins from the beach. Much, much, much cheaper then the hotels, i don't know how long it will stay vacant but if any HONEST good people are interested in coming to Cancun soon i wouldn't mind renting out the apartment dirt cheap for some lessons on metal detecting. It's so beautiful here and your trip could get payed for by just metal detecting !!

UPDATE: Wow ok so my price range just jumped -.- i'm falling in love with this hobby even more and have not even started digging. I am looking for a Minelab Exalibur now, for jewelry would a 800 or 1000 be better? I heard people like the 800 over the 1000, why idk lol

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Yes, the Excalibur would be an excellent choice. Maybe an Excalibur II if you find a good offer or are willing to afford a new one. Myself I use a Excalibur 1000 which I bought used for about 800 $. Never used the 800 version with the smaller coil. I think covering a larger area with the 10 inch coil of the Excal 1000 is an advantage over the 8 inch coil. There are quite a few very experienced treasure hunters here who even put a 12 or 15 inch coil on their Excalibur. So I would choose the Excalibur 1000, but that's just my opinion. Don't forget - you're going to need a good scoop with your detector too! Browse through the older posts about scoops here on the forum. There's a wealth of knowledge to be found which might help with your decision. Good luck

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Thank you Wrecker but i have decided upon a White's Surf PI Dual Field, i have heard nothing but amazing reviews. It picks everything up at incredible depths, i'm 21 years young and ready to break my back digging! The beaches in Cancun use glass bottles and recycle them so no pull tabs to deal with and these beaches are generally trashless so if the White's Surf picked something up during low tide about knee deep it's hopefully a goodie and it's ability to pick everything up is the reason i chose it because i don't have nearly as much trash to deal with... Just sharks which is a really scary thought, they like to come up to the shore and feast lol Shark bites happen every year here !

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best of luck.

There is surely some treasure out there!

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Is the patio a place here in Cancun, i live near LA LUNA in the city about 10 to 15 mintues from the hotel zone. Is the Patio that small coffee shop in Plaza Las Americas, i dont know the area very well yet. Sorry i cant put question marks, these keyboards are sometimes a pain in the ass trying to figure out how to use them. Anyone whos been to mexico knows what i mean lol

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
MY CANCUN TRIPS

Cancun beaches have a lot of trash, bottle caps, beer tops and lots of old rusted metals of all sizes. The only gold rings I have found have been in about 3 ft. of water. Also they import white sand to the beaches to keep them up. That sand has a lot of small metal trash mixed in. You will find lots of mexican pesos in the water and sand. I have a YOU TUBE video from last years trip. Type in MINELAB EXCALIBUR CANCUN BEACH METAL DETECTING TRIP. The water is very warm there. But don't expect to find a bucket of treasure.

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Streetglide i realize you came here visiting and didn't have much success but it comes down to knowing the location. I have family who has been here almost their entire lives, i know the beaches now after visiting them already. Knowing the beach is the first step to success an i can assure you i know these beach much better than a tourist on vacation. After interviewing my family and getting them involved i will be beach hunting not the public beaches you might have searched but private beaches ( Nice knowing hotel owners who don't mind me ''cleaning'' while i metal detect) that no locals visit but only tourists.

I will be detecting 3-5 feet in water on a few private resorts (family friends) that charge about 400+ a night, i also interviewed the people who clean the beaches and rake the sand at 7 in the morning and they love their jobs. They kept bragging about how they find Gucci glasses, wallets with lots of cash, and rings. My friend found a huge platinum ring just sitting in the sand, he wasn't even metal detecting just hanging out.

The best way i can put it is i have several locations that most people don't know about where locals are not allowed and only the richest stay at. I'm sorry your trip didn't turnout so hot but i'm sure if you lived here and had time to learn the area well it would have turned up much better.

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Watched your video, saw your location. Fiesta americana would be the orange building behind you and the resort i assume you were staying at (Very nice camera). I can already say you would not find gold their, there's a few reasons why but i'm not going to go into details.

To clarify also the beaches in Cancun are public, when i am saying private resorts i am speaking of the ones not in the hotel zone but i won't go into details about that also.

Only time will tell and i will keep everyone updated with my finds starting in 2 weeks. I appreciate the help Streetglider, see you next time in Cancun =)

bis

Nov 17, 2012
Well cancun does not have a history it was before just a island just dirt and water
My family are some of the first getting here to cancun

bis

Nov 17, 2012
I live in the center of cancun by the way in isla mujeres it was a pirate island
Cancun before being poblated it was just used the av.lopez portillo to get to isla mujeres

Sep 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coming to Cancun!

Hi Jesse, I'm going to be in the Cancun/Playa area for a week starting on the 1st... I'm bringing my ACE250, I was hoping you can tell me where you've had good luck? :)

nor kal kid

Feb 19, 2014
northern kalifornia, Bay area
Detector(s) used
XLT, Mxt all pro, garrett pp.coils 10"DD, 950, 12"spyder.for mxt all pro. Coils for xlt 950 and 15" magnum force field "depth plus"mxt max coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will be going to cancun in August maybe we can meet to do some detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread