Hi; Is there a way to date and price pocket knives ???

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; Over the years I have found a lot of pocket knives. I try to guess their ages or values with little luck. Does anyone know of any definitive guide books, web sites etc that would help in this process. Are there collectors out there. How would you build a pocket knive collection ?? This has been bugging me for a while. I await your replies. PEACE:RONB :thumbsup:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
POCKET KNIFE QUESTION: My buddy (Frank) found an old pocket knife a couple weeks ago while we were MD'ing. Was about 3-4 inches down in this hard TN. soil by the Duck River. Appears to have both blades broken about 1/2 way each. It has a bone handle and is really drying out now. Does anybody think it would hurt the bone handle if I put in electrolysis for awhile?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well....a bone handle can be re hydrated in mineral oil at risk of darkening, then waxed to preserve, the longer it soaks usually the more it swells. Have used it on antler scales and while adding weight it did improve condition.Bone has a moisture content that affects fit when way dry or way wet if not preserved. My concern with electrolysis would be if any swelling of deposits put force against bone scales around pins and bolster(s) if they are rusted badly and don,t allow scales to move outward. Coloring too may result, especially if electrolyte allowed to get colored. Depends on value but I,d give it a bump and watch its progress. The bone itself unless really degraded should tolerate a brief bath before inhaling a lot of liquid. I,d do it to one of yours.:laughing7:

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well....a bone handle can be re hydrated in mineral oil at risk of darkening, then waxed to preserve, the longer it soaks usually the more it swells. Have used it on antler scales and while adding weight it did improve condition.Bone has a moisture content that affects fit when way dry or way wet if not preserved. My concern with electrolysis would be if any swelling of deposits put force against bone scales around pins and bolster(s) if they are rusted badly and don,t allow scales to move outward. Coloring too may result, especially if electrolyte allowed to get colored. Depends on value but I,d give it a bump and watch its progress. The bone itself unless really degraded should tolerate a brief bath before inhaling a lot of liquid. I,d do it to one of yours.:laughing7:

Well the knife is in really bad shape to start with. Both blades broken and badly rusted. The handle looked better coming out of the ground then it does now. It says something on handle but I can't make it out even with a magnifying glass. I finally got a electrolysis devise made and it works great.

Attachments

• S6300397.JPG
    S6300397.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 79
  • S6300398.JPG
    S6300398.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 78
  • S6300399.JPG
    S6300399.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 81
  • S6300400.JPG
    S6300400.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 77

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a Remington knife that pre-dates WWII which I've been interested in finding out information on.
I want to keep track of this interesting post. Will also be able to do research on my knife now.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the knife is in really bad shape to start with. Both blades broken and badly rusted. The handle looked better coming out of the ground then it does now. It says something on handle but I can't make it out even with a magnifying glass. I finally got a electrolysis devise made and it works great.
Oh boy! she,s toasty chalky. I,d expect it to crumble regardless other than encasing it from air.Scales are cracked at pins so there is relief from any expansion in the bath. Preservation possible perhaps if keeping it desired,up to current owner I guess. The badge kind of Case like. Electricians knives and barlow knives,and some others only have one bolster like the knife pictured. Unless your bud wants to save it I would electro while watching and as soon as detail started to fade quit. Might pull the name from the badge as it looks temptingly decent and being a single bolster be able to find an original pic somewhere once maker established. Could get lucky and find a mark at base of blade, but a very light wager if any.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately, I can't offer much help here as every pocket knife I've found with a detector had been reduced to a ball of rust.
luvsdux

OP
OP
B

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; What about dating them ?? and their values ??

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Book of Knife Values is out there in many forms. From individual brands to all brands including history. Book store, Walmart, Gun or Sporting Goods Store. Used to have a collection because Dad would give me knives, some I bought. Discovered dozens in a drawer so I became a collector. Sold many over the years, but still have about 25 or so in a big curio cabinet. Smoky Mountain knife works has a free catalog and you can join NKCA/National Knife Collectors Association. They have a club knife every year that is usually pretty nice. I don't collect anymore, never touch them. Use a SOG Flash ii around the house and carry an old Swiss Army officer's. Can be an expensive hobby...

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a MD'er and also a Knife maker. I'm going to be betting it's a Barlow knife. A quick google search will give you similar pictures with similar plate location. But it looks like an older two blade Barlow pocket knife. It just has the Barlow look to it. There are many many collectors of knives. Case, old time, buck, shrade...just to name a few. some collect a specific type. others collect older ones. It as big as coin collecting probably, it can be a very very expensive hobby. Knives are like coins though....nice and clean preferred, old and crusty from the ground not so preferred. But it depends on the knife too. Barlow knives were common and carried in most stores for a buck or so when I was younger. I've lost a few in my younger years, gather up some glass pop bottles at 5 cents each and head back to store to get another one. oh those were the days !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread