Hi just joined :D

Tommy1231

Nov 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to all,

I just joined the forum in order to get some insight on the whole metal detecting activities. I have recently been looking into what are some good metal detectors for beginners.
There is one question on my mind however which I am sure many on here have come across:

I know this place where Germans during WW2 were camped and might have even fought (its deep in the woods and my grandpa told me about this place) so I doubt many have searched this area. However, I am concerned about whether there may be any undetonated explosives or mines buried underground. Is there any possible way these can still blow up? and whether there is any manner to determine if explosives are located under the ground.

Thanks,

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the party!!! There is always that possibility when searching an old war zone. Always be careful and aware of what your digging. If found don't go pounding on it or prying on its parts if you have questions. But have fun and enjoy the outing.....Good Luck and Happy Hunting

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :hello:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Virginia! Be careful with what you might find and Good luck!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the WW2 minefields I saw in Normandy are still well marked " danger mines" in every language imaginable. In terms of ordinance, the bigger the target the bigger the chance its a mortar or grenade etc. I would make sure you are at least half way proficient at not hitting targets with your shovel and dig gently. I trounced around in the minefields when I was a kid which was really really dumb (no detector) but doubt I'd repeat that today lol. Have fun n be halfway safe but I don't like to let fear tell me what I can and cannot do. There is a fine line between fear and common sense. I am still finding that line.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum and find someone that can truly educate you on everything to stay safe around the minefields.
Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread