ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out detecting at a school in an older part of town and found a watch fob that goes on a belt. on the back it says, "HICKOK BELTOGRAM, HICKOK PLATE, MADE IN USA". The front as either an "H" or a "X" monogramed on it. Does anyone know when this company was in bussines? All I get on my searches is "vintage", no time period. I would post aphoto but my scanner is broke and my cheap digital camera doesn't do close ups. Thanks. Oh, forgot to mention, I found a 1908 Liberty Head V nickel yestarday, my first one.

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Evidently, this item is from the same firm that for many years made a wide variety of men's belt buckles. The company was founded in Rochester, NY by Stephen Rae Hickok in 1909. It became part of Tandy Corp. in 1974.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Heres a cool side note.....Formally called the S. Rae Hickok Professional Athlete of the Year Award, this trophy was established in 1950 by the Hickok Manufacturing Company of Rochester, N.Y., in memory of the company's founder. The trophy consisted of an alligator-skin belt with a huge buckle made of solid gold, along with an encrusted 4-carat diamond and 26 gem chips. It was valued at $10,000 to $15,000. It took 250 man-hours to produce it at the Hickok plant, which manufactured upscale belts, wallets, and other men's accessories.

For the first 21 years, the Hickok Belt was presented at the annual children's charity dinner given by the Rochester Press-Radio Club. In 1971, the Tandy Corporation of Fort Worth, Texas, purchased Hickok Manufacturing and also acquired rights to the belt. The presentation was then made in larger cities, including Chicago and New York. The Hickok Belt Award, which was discontinued after 1976, was won by several major league baseball players. In fact, of the 27 Hickok Awards which were handed out, 15 went to baseball players.

Attachments

• beltogram.jpg
    beltogram.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,535

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I found a belt buck that was black until I cleaned it. Then it was a bronze color. It said "Hickok Plate" on the back and said "F" on the front.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I grew up in Rochester and never heard of the company... I also never wore a belt... That was an interesting post.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound like you had a great day --- get that camera fixed! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread