Hidden 925 Silver Ring in Metal Detecting Junk Box!

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I read recently on TreasureNet of an MDer whose sister, when she visits, goes through his junk box of metal detecting finds and always pulls out a ring or two she claims are of value. And, she is always right. After reading this thread, I decided to take a closer look at some of my junk rings from past sand and surf hunts.

One ring I discovered had a pink-purplish 1/3ct center stone flanked by 2 smaller (1/8 ct) clear stones. The band was overall dark brown and had numerous rust spots protruding from the metal. Because of the rust, I didn’t give the ring a second thought as I find a lot of rusted junk rings every year (and why I don’t have a “before” pic). I took the ring and rubbed the band across a scouring pad and was surprised to see solid white metal underneath. I continued to work on the band and the “rust” spots, possibly some type of deposit, were readily removed revealing more white metal underneath. I turned my attention to the inside of the band and cleaned it, revealing “925” – SILVER! I couldn’t believe my eyes. In a matter of minutes, this junk ring turned into a real keeper, and now my attention turned to the stones; are they diamonds?

Silver in Junk 061519.jpg

silver 925 mark 061519.jpg

I took the ring to the sink and decided to give it a good cleaning and brushing before testing the stones. As I started to clean the ring I noticed that the center stone was GONE!!! Aaaaauuuuu. I turned-off the faucet and looked in anguish as the last of the water drained down the garbage disposal…I didn’t see a thing in the sink. My heart was pounding; did I just loose the center diamond, thinking the worse? Using my hands, I slowly felt around the bottom of the sink – Eureka! I found it. After putting the stone back in the ring and tightening the prongs, I tested the three stones and they’re not real. Shucks. But the ring is silver and looks real good.

Take home message(s); Check and double check your junk jewelry, you might have a sleeper. Oh, and when you clean your jewelry in the sink, be sure to use a stopper.

Happy hunting

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions