Hidden Cache bought at auction for $10

Z

ZumbroKid

My co-worker who i give rides to work told me this one. She is an older lady, who told me years ago her husband stopped at some store and next door was an auction. To kill time she walked over to it. They happened to have 25 cook books and she bid the highest and got them for $10. Her husband discovered she won and thought it was a foolish waste of money. At home one day her kids were playing with these old cook books, and a hundred dollar bill fell out of one of them. She said the kids eyes got real big and she search thru the books and found 10 hundred dollar bills for a total of one thousand dollars. She said she was affair to spend them thinking they were counterfits. She took them to the bank and they told her they were real. So that is the cache story she told me at work last night.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great story! Happens more than we realize. My friend borrows books to read from her 90 year old senile mother and is always finding $100 bills in them. If I were the dishonest type, I could easily break into her mother's house, go through her library and make a bundle. Fun to think about, but of course I'd never do it.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My neighbor once bought a antique round oak table at an auction for $200.00 . When they got it home they found a secret draw full of early 1800's coin silver silverware - a full table service for 12 people . It was worth thousands !
mojjax

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story Free, i'm always checkin' old books at estate sales and such,so far jut a few old stamps and a postcard or two.Treasure is where you find it! ;)

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That happened to me when I was a kid. If I remember right, it was a $5.00 silver certificate I found while flipping through an old baseball book that I picked up at a neighbors yard sale. I gave it to my Dad, who gave me a regular $5.00 bill, and he still has it to this day. It pays to check older books!

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yah, my girlfriend's grandmother was like that. They have been cleaning out her house for a month now, finding money EVERYWHERE!

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
As a part-time antiques dealer, I have found quite of bit of cash in old books that I have bought at auction. My buddy buys boxes of old clothes and goes through the pockets. Treasure is where you find it. Good luck and good hunting.

DW

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2006
N 43 09.445 W 098 32.395
I love that story as I always search out old book stores for interesting books. I have not found monetary treasures in any, but one find was an old book that (as the story went) a letter was written inside the front cover from a sailor to his bride in the US. No date found in the letter but was written in quill pen describing his journeys from Europe to the Cape Point, South Africa in a merchant vessel of some type, how he longed to be with her and the rest of that mushy stuff. I turned to the back of the book thinking of a continuation and found the same exact letter... verbatim, my only thought was since he was to mail this book to her and if it got wet throughout the journey, one of the two would hopefully survive. Fake or not, a great find...I was openly talking about this with a friend and when I went to purchase the book... the management politely refused the sale. The old adage: Loose lips sink ships came to mind.

New to the forums, old to treasure hunting. Good luck to all!

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to open my eyes at yard sales.

Great stuff DW!!!

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Free,

Book cash stashing has always worked for me.
Been doing it as my 'savings plan' forever.
Safe enough for me, handy even.
Should I croak and someone unexpectedly finds it........?...........so what?.....
who cares?...i'm dead........... and SOMEONE makes an awesome find :)........good luck to them....
.....Robbers?.........shoot>>>banks get hit all the time.......i don't.
Thing is, tho... My family knows where the 'fat' books are and what each one is being saved for,,,ect...

DW.....
Loose lips......oh dear!.............what a great book you lost :(

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions