Hidden Gem

CodyPratt

Sep 25, 2020
Lincoln, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this little guy today while cruising the river. There are a bunch of old broken brick pieces in the river, so I looked right over this initially thinking it was one of them, as the colors were the exact same. But something brought me back to it, and man am I glad! I haven't looked into age/type yet, but I'll update with information if I figure any of it out. It's fairly thick in the middle, one side is flat and the other convex at the base (for hafting), and there seems to be basal grinding. (I'm still learning these terms, so if I misuse one, my apologies.) :)

20201028_193802.jpg 20201028_193807.jpg 20201028_193751.jpg 20201028_193746.jpg
20201028_193700.jpg 20201028_193716.jpg 20201028_182503.jpg 20201028_182511.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice piece.
You are really finding some nice stuff.
With all the flooding last year I figured somebody had to be hitting the jackpot. Do you find any bison skulls? or fossils?
Do you ever vacation at lake Mac?

OP
OP
CodyPratt

CodyPratt

Sep 25, 2020
Lincoln, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece.
You are really finding some nice stuff.
With all the flooding last year I figured somebody had to be hitting the jackpot. Do you find any bison skulls? or fossils?
Do you ever vacation at lake Mac?

I only have 1 bison skull, but I have about a hundred bison (ice age and modern), deer, raccoon, beaver bones/skulls in total from about 6 or 7 trips to the river. I vacationed at Big Mac for 2 weeks every summer as a kid, but I don't get back as much as an adult. :( I brought my fiancee out camping there a few years back, we had planned on 10 days, but we left after 3 because she got sun burned and couldn't handle living in a tent. lol I love that lake though, and I'd love to get out hunting in that area for a few days come spring!

OP
OP
CodyPratt

CodyPratt

Sep 25, 2020
Lincoln, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a nice find. Congrats. Do you know what the material is?

I'm not sure. I tried checking the point ID website's material database, but it was about as helpful as asking my cat. lol Maybe someone on here will have some insight.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost like it had extra thinning near the base.

OP
OP
CodyPratt

CodyPratt

Sep 25, 2020
Lincoln, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddly enough, I'm thinking Burroughs or Cherokee. Although the available pics don't match, the verbal description is spot on.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddly enough, I'm thinking Burroughs or Cherokee. Although the available pics don't match, the verbal description is spot on.

I wouldn’t know, but it sure is neat and probably very old.
Might make a good profile pic.

Hint: if you have iPhone, triple click the home button to activate the magnifying camera mode. Take a picture (tapping to focus) at about 5” away. It will come out sharp! Natural sunlight is best.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread