HIDEY HIDEY HIDEY HOLE!!!

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Took yesterday off for the holiday and went to a spot that is across the road from my ATV trails. The atv riders go back here also but they have to cross a busy road to get into this section. A portion of this road was not in existence in the 1800's and ealry 1900's so the area I normally detect in was connected with this new section. I was over here one time before last fall and I only found shell casings from the hunters. There is a long stone wall back here that must have been the boundary of a farmers land.
I went along this stone wall and started to detect in the way that Danimal told us that he detects in, which is keeping the detector in pinpoint mode and scanning the ground. The signal increases as you get near a buried metallic object and when it is at its peak you take it off pinpoint and scan normally to determine what type of metal it is (iron, coin, etc).
Well I started doing this along the wall and got a few iron signals but kept going. Near the stone wall and a tree I got a signal that showed as a penny on the display so naturally I began to dig. Eventually a coin came out of the ground and it turned out to be a wheat penny.
Naturally as we all do I scanned the hole again and got another coin signal. Re-checked it with the pinpointer and found another coin. This one was an Indian Head cent! Re-scanned the hole with the pinpointer and got more signals...I had found me a cache or a hidey hole!

After all was said and done and I had scanned my last coin out of that hole, some were even stuck together, I had:

3 Indian Head cents - 1882, 1905 and 1908
26 wheat pennies - various dates from the teens into the twenties, most modern one was 1929
8 buffalo nickels - dates in the twenties
2 mercury dimes - 1924 and 1925

Also found some peices of fabric and a button that probably came from what was holding these coins. Since the newest coin was 1929, I can only assume that maybe this was a stash that was hidden after the stock market crash and the depression kicked in. It could also have been just hid away for a rainy day but I will never know.

Thanks for reading
and also thanks again to Danimal for telling me about this great technique.

Funkman

Attachments

• IMG_1623.JPG
    IMG_1623.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,032
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funky,
That finds a dream come true, and you made it a reality! I think most of us dream of that kind of find some day. Awesome post.
Congrats,
MM

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a FANTASTIC find--I bet it was exciting pulling coin after coin out of that hole--never knowing whether the next one would be silver, copper, or nickel, and never knowing if the string of coins would ever end. Wonderful!

Check out the wheaties before you clean them. Since you said they were mainly in the 1920's, check them for a 1922 plain!

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Thanks again for the replies all.

Buckleboy, I will check the dates of the wheaties. I can see a few dates but some are under dirt yet. I cleaned the buffalos and the dates for them are:
3 - 1927
1 - 1928
2 - 1926
2- unknown dates

Here are pics of the cleaned buffalos and indians. I left one of the buffalos home by accident, that is why the pic shows 7

Funkman

Attachments

• IMG_1629.JPG
    IMG_1629.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1635.JPG
    IMG_1635.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 306

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
funkman said:
thanks for the replies all. yes paul1410 this area is a pretty big area and the stone wall is a few hundred feet long. This is the kind of area were the pinpointing technique comes in handy. Lots of open spaces between the trees so you can scan the ground without getting tangled up in weeds and stuff.

Thanks again.

Funkman

Thanks for the reply, Funkman.

Good luck with the rest of the site.

Hope to hear more from here.

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY