High school campuses?

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre
Hey guys.

So i've been scanning google earth and in my area (which has had lots of progress in the last 60 years, and by progress i mean developments, meaning everything is paved)

The most areas with ground that is digable are parks and school campuses. What are the communities thoughts on using these areas to detect? I'd like the input based on the ethics of it, and if you think it would be of any use to even try at such a place?

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

You're talking public high school yards, right? Are others allowed access after-school hours (weekends, etc...)? You know, like persons who want to jog the track, use the chin-up bars, fly a kite, etc....? If you see such things, then apparently, you are not dis-allowed from being there.

As far as your particular chosen hobby, you do not intend to leave a mess, or marks, or holes do you? Then if you ask me, just go. I hit public school lawns in any city I come to, if they look good, without hesitation. Naturally, use "due discretion", since, of course, our hobby has "connotations" and attracts lookie-lous, busy-bodies, etc.... So go at low traffic times, don't be in the middle of retrievals when nosy-parkers (the after-school custodian, etc...) are watching, etc.... But this is just common sense for anywhere, for that matter. Kinda like nose picking: nothing "illegal" about it, but .... we all still use a little discretion.

mfitzs70

Sep 15, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett's Ace 250, Garrett's Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with what TOM said. I hunt our local schools elem/high. As long as they don't have locked gates and you are able to walk in I hunt it without asking. But I will shy away from areas where the sport activities actually take place like in the ball diamond or on the football field I will do the benchs and bleachers. Just my comfort zone.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't ask for permission as it is your tax dollars that support the schools. You wouldn't ask if you were going to play catch with your kids, why would you ask if it is OK to metal detect. Just do it and don't leave holes and be proud to look back at where you found something and not be able to tell that you were there.

Boog

Apr 30, 2007
E. Central Indiana
Around here high school campuses are all right to detect, but the finds are VERY skimpy, as all the area schools accept just plastic cards, for funds , so no one carries any cash to speak of, few years back it was good when folk paid for meals and school functions with MONEY, now they don't around here, so for the best coin shooting it is tot play lots, where the kids knock mommys necklace off, or she loses a ring while swinging the little rug rat, but the schools don't amount to much anymore round here.:dontknow:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have done well at high campuses and very well at some public parks. I did $15.62 in clad in 2 days at a public park. I did $9.02 today. Anyway like Tom in CA make sure you cover your holes and try to make it look like you weren't there. The park I hunted yesterday and today was filled with pock marks and holes barely filled in and the grass was dead. This guy left a trail every where he went. He had to be cherry picking because yesterday I got over $6 following his path of destruction.

A few careless people make it bad for all of us. I dug over 200 holes in the past two days or I should say I carefully cut the sod on three sides and layed it back then dug my hole replacing the soil and sod and I never left a trace i was there.

WVARelics

Jun 21, 2012
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Winchester, VA the high school is off limits, signs posted and property patrolled after hours. I guess their afraid you might find a few dollar civil war item. As for the parks in the city their off limits too, posted on the parks and rec website.

Recently a construction crew was removing trees and topsoil from an undeveloped area and a few md'ers went in after hours and found a few goodies. The police found out about it and put a stop to it immediately. So if you don't own land or someone that does in Winchester you're screwed.

Just my 2 cents on my area.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call the local Police dept. and ask if there are "any specific laws pertaining to metal detecting on town/city property"....just that language. I do not ask permission, I do not say I will be digging, etc. I ask for the name of the person I have spoken with and say thank you. I have never been turned away yet asking this way. One town did say no shovels, hand tools okay. Another said okay except one particular park is off limits.

I have done a couple of high school athletic fields and found clad and jewelry. The only thing posted at this particular school was for people to please stay off the football field. I have hunted baseball diamonds (after the season) and soccer fields. Mostly clad although I have found a Merc and silver Roosevelt at one soccer field. Basketball court perimeters are also good for clad.

Hope this helps.

HH,
Anita

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread