High school class rings, keep or return?

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High school class rings, keep or return? This is just my personal views and a choice each individual has to make for themselves. I started detecting in 1968 at that time there were very few detectorist, good detectors were expensive and for a person to be in the field as either a hobbiest or professional, you needed to retrieve your investment. I was one of the first persons to search several of the older high schools in my area and as a result, I found 38 class rings in the first two or three years. I talked to school officials and they were not very interested in helping locate the original owners. At that time most 10K class rings were less than a hundred dollars. I was the owner of a local jewelry store and put the rings in a case in my store window and ran an ad in the paper offering to return any ring that a person could identify. I ran the ad for about a year at my personal cost. A good many people came in to look, but not one owner was found for a single ring. However, three rings were stolen from the case. Remember this was before the internet and information was not nearly as readily available.
How were these rings lost to begin with? The biggest portion of these rings were lost by girlfriends, either from a chain around their neck or by having enough tape on the shank to wear a ring that was three or more sizes too large. Nearly all of the students dating or “going steady”, the girls call to her boyfriend was “ring me”.
When gold reached a new record of near a thousand dollars an ounce in the early 1980's, I sold all the rings for melt value.
As the price of precious metals escalated, I became a buyer of scrap precious metals and the first thing that people got rid of was high school class rings because they had very little meaning to them.
College or university rings with degrees on them or a different story and I would do my best to return one these should I find it. And in a few cases in my jewelry stores, I repaired or re-shanked high school rings that the person had worn slick. If I was to find one of these rings that I could tell that the person had used it and it meant something to them, I would do my best to return the ring but If I find a ring with an older date on it and very little wear, I would consider this ring to be fair game because the original owner did not seem to care for the ring to begin with. I would no more look for the owner than I would look for the owner of a gold coin that I found.
Call it greed or whatever you like but these are my personal views.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally try to return class rings, by researching through the year-books, match the initials, and so forth. Gets hard after several decades, because obviously people move away from their home towns, women marry and change their names, etc.. But I have been successful on occasions. And as vp-navy & christo000 says, you get a good feeling and a "who-dunnit mystery" solved-type of feeling :)

HOWEVER, I can understand those persons like dholland says "finders keepers". Here's why. This is a true story:

A buddy of mine was detecting the elementary school yard that was at the end of the block where he lived. He got a signal, and went to dig it. But when he got to his knees to get ready to poke, he parted the grass, and could see the item right there: A women's high school class ring. Apparently barely just lost, as it hadn't even had time to get buried yet. Just obscured by the grass, and seen as soon as he parted the grass.

He took it home, and showed his daughter, who was ... at that time ... a senior in High school She could see, on the inscription, that it was their local high school, the one that she was currently attending. And then she could see from the year printed on the inscription, that it was the current year's class, HER graduating class :) So she pulls out her year-book, and turned right to the pix of the class-mate. Bingo. Mystery solved :) So she tells her dad: I know that girl! She lives just down the street from us!

So the dad walked over, and knocked on the door. No answer. So he took the ring back home. The daughter says: I know their phone #. So the dad makes a call, and gets a voice-mail. So he leaves a message to the effect of: "Hi, this is so & so down the street. I've got your class ring. Give me a call, so we can arrange to get it back to you". He made no mention of detectors, or details, and figured he could give more detail when they called.

That night, the family sat down for dinner. There was a knock at the door. Guess who it was?? THE POLICE! They asked if my friend could step outside, while they had a word with him. They said they'd been forwarded a message from the family down the street, about a ring that he had. The cops told him the house had been burglarized about 2 weeks earlier, and the ring was one of the items which had been stolen. So when the people got the voicemail, they figured it was some sort of extortion attempt? At this point, my friend tried to tell the cops that he had "found it with a metal detector", and that ... no, he was not fishing for extortion or anything, and that ... no ... it was not him who burglarized the house. The cops had the look of "sure buddy" (like I guess any thief could merely say "I found it", to avoid supposed fingering?). The cops asked to see the ring. So my friend went back inside to get it. He gave it to them. They said "ok, we'll get ahold of you if there's any more questions. We need to tell them your story, and see what they want to do"

The cops left, and my friend sat back down to dinner. But now, no one had much of an appetite, as .... my friend had the sinking feeling, that he was now suspect in some sort of crime. He debated on picking up the phone and calling those people, but .... decided against it. Figured the cops (?) would pass on his "metal detector" story, and they'd call him eventually? So he waited. Days passed and no one ever called. My friend was never quite sure if .... one day .... a cop would re-appear with charges to press. Apparently when the thieves had left that neighbor's house, they'd taken a short-cut across the school yard, and dropped the ring.

Nothing was ever said. No thankyou's. No sorry's. No nothing. That was about 1980 or '81 (when gold was at record highs then), when the value of a 10k class ring would have fetched a pretty penny for my friend. So .... you can bet .... he was not to happy about the outcome of this mess. He vowed never again to research and re-unite anything.
Who was the detective? Barney Fife? Must have been the dumbest one on the force if they would think a thief would call and leave a ransom message with his name and address. I would think the cops (and ring owner) would be grateful that they had a lead on the direction where the thieves fled after the crime.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who was the detective? Barney Fife? Must have been the dumbest one on the force if they would think a thief would call and leave a ransom message with his name and address. I would think the cops (and ring owner) would be grateful that they had a lead on the direction where the thieves fled after the crime.

Well the ring probably ended up in Evidence Lock-up & unless the theft was solved,
is probably still there.

The daughter went to school with the owner , a simple exchange of pleasantries
about the find and outcome in school could have given all a chuckle

And even though the family must have been Morons to take that as a ransom message
and call the cops, I would have never said "I've got your class ring".
without explaining how. unless he was trying to be mysterious.
it makes no sense to me :icon_scratch:
more logical would be "I found your daughters ring", "I Found Sally's ring (whatever her name is), stop down or I can stop back"
anyway if Tom didn't know the guy personally, I'd throw this story off as an urban legend.

Last edited:

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was once in Europe at a train station and found a cell phone in one of the train tracks and quickly jumped in to grab it. Once I had it in my hands I called the contact named "Home." The guys mom answered and said that they lived in Toronto and that her son lost the phone. When we arrived home we shipped the phone to the owners address with our own costs and never got a thank you in return. This is my own two cents, but if someone people can't even say "Thanks" for you returning their goods they don't deserve them back.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
many places by law require you legally to return "lost items" if the owner is "known" - many class rings do indeed have the owners "name" in them * thus they are "returnable" to the owner and the owners name is "known" --so by law you are to return it or turn it in to the cops to be "returned" -- of course "unmarked" no name rings are a totally different matter *-- taking in a "marked" class ring to a pawn dealer to sell could land you in hot water if the person that lost it reported it as "stolen" * not realizing that they lost it and thinking someone took it instead. --say they left it on a towel at the beach and when they left it fell off the towel --when they got home its gone* so they think some one stole it.--see how easy it is to get jammed up ?

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
many places by law require you legally to return "lost items" if the owner is "known" - many class rings do indeed have the owners "name" in them * thus they are "returnable" to the owner and the owners name is "known" --so by law you are to return it or turn it in to the cops to be "returned" -- of course "unmarked" no name rings are a totally different matter *-- taking in a "marked" class ring to a pawn dealer to sell could land you in hot water if the person that lost it reported it as "stolen" * not realizing that they lost it and thinking someone took it instead. --say they left it on a towel at the beach and when they left it fell off the towel --when they got home its gone* so they think some one stole it.--see how easy it is to get jammed up ?

Yeah if I was gonna pawn one of those I would "accidentally" damage the name beyond recognition with my shovel while digging it out...

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah if I was gonna pawn one of those I would "accidentally" damage the name beyond recognition with my shovel while digging it out...

I would do the same

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn Lawnmowers on the Beach :laughing9:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Ivan, you make 2 good points:

a) For starters, yes there are lost & found laws (if someone here is h*ll-b*ent on being law-abiding), that say that items worth over $100 (or whatever your state's threshold criteria is) have to be turned in to the police. And the law doesn't say how the item is to be valued. Eg.: value when purchased new? Melt value? etc... For example: An Ipod phone found on the bus bench cost some poor fellow many hundreds of dollars. HOWEVER, the "melt value" is probably only .20c (a bit of silicon, copper, plastic, etc...). So which do you go by? Most I-pod users (who pray and pray that someone turns it in to the police) would quickly say that it goes by the value-when-new. So whereas a class ring, at the current depressed gold market, might have only $60 in gold melt, yet it cost the person hundreds when he bought it. I asked a lawyer friend of mine which criteria a person is to use, when determining when the "law requires him to turn in an item". He said that since the law left that un-clear, that I should "turn it in, and let the police decide". Doh! :) But anyhow, the question from the OP was about a moral obligation, but you're right: there are legal implications here too. Oddly however, a quick look at the finds on any beach forums, and you see no shortage of people posting/boasting about their latest rings, watches, etc... And I highly doubt they are all "rushing down to the police dept" to turn them in.

b) your point about the difference between "lost" & "stolen" is a good one. Because when each of us finds something (like a class ring for instance), we naturally assume that the person who lost it, KNOWS that they "lost" it. Right? But on the contrary, there's a lot of times where someone just realizes, at some point during the day(s) that .... "oh no, my ring is gone". And they really don't know at which point it went missing. So their mind might race and think things like "gee, did I leave it on the night-stand at the hotel, and the evil maid must've stolen it?" or "gee, I might have left it on the sink in the public restroom when I went to wash my hands, therefore the next person 'stole' it". So when they go to make a police or insurance report, quite frequently, when they simply don't know what happened to it, the terminology becomes "lost or stolen". As opposed to simply "lost".

For example: I had some old coins in my collection, that were temporarily stored at my place of business (d/t my wife and I were moving from one house to another). After all the chaos of moving was done, and all the things that had been stored at my shop were moved to our new digs, I could not find some of the coins. I have a feeling that someone stole them (as I had had some temp. workers/laborers doing some odd-jobs in the vicinity of that store-room). So I have chalked them off as "stolen", in my mind, and learned my lesson to be more careful. However, it is entirely possible that I am mistaken, and that some day, they will turn up in some other box, and I was mistaken about where I'd put them, in the first place. Therefore you're right: terms like "lost" and "stolen" are often used erroneously or inter-changeably.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OMG, The day Finally Happened I Agree with something You Said, And Have done the Same Thing many times!!! HH Chug
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't feel bad, It happens sometimes to the best of us! lol Frank
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On another Note: I Finally Broke My Propointer, But I Sent It In And Garrets Fixed it For Nothing It was Only 3 Years Old!!! Yes I'm Rubbing It In
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe the wrong way! My Harbor Freight is 3 years old, still works great and has had no need for a return trip. Lets see, that's $18 divided by 3 years = $6 a year for usage. What is your cost? lol, Frank

rose on ice 700 this one.jpg

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally, I wouldn't hunt with another TH who had the Finder's Keepers' attitude-for condern that same attitude would not allow him to share his beers with me when I'm out.
Don....
Well i would share my beer with you.... BUT WITH ME IT IS FINDERS KEEPERS.....:occasion14:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i would share my beer with you.... BUT WITH ME IT IS FINDERS KEEPERS.....:occasion14:
That's ok, if Don would like a beer, I'd be happy to share one with him!:icon_thumleft:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
in most cases , the only way folks find out what you have found is "your own big mouth' or "showing off your finds --the need to "brag" has sunk many a good find and lost lots of finds for treasure hunters (at times you can be your own worse enemy) --when you find that bit of treasure * know that there are no shortage of "lazy bums and thieves" out there who want to rob you of your hard work and good fortune . so shut up , enjoy the rush and quietly sell off your find --if that's what you want is cash $$$

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One lesson I learned about water and beach detecting is that you don't stand there examining your finds. If I am surrounded by people, I will leave the scoop slightly under water, and reach into get the target. Ring, coin, or whatever, it goes into my pouch immediately. There will be plenty of time to look at it when I get in the car. I'm not trying to hide a find from its owner, but I have had issues with people claiming that they'd lost what I just found when they see it come up in the scoop, as well as with other hunters talking too much about my finds.

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One lesson I learned about water and beach detecting is that you don't stand there examining your finds. If I am surrounded by people, I will leave the scoop slightly under water, and reach into get the target. Ring, coin, or whatever, it goes into my pouch immediately. There will be plenty of time to look at it when I get in the car. I'm not trying to hide a find from its owner, but I have had issues with people claiming that they'd lost what I just found when they see it come up in the scoop, as well as with other hunters talking too much about my finds.

I would expect that if someone really lost something they would ask the metal detector operator for help locating it. Therefore I would never believe someone that has been watching then walk up right after the find trying to stake a claim.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would expect that if someone really lost something they would ask the metal detector operator for help locating it. Therefore I would never believe someone that has been watching then walk up right after the find trying to stake a claim.

I always Laugh at those remarks from people, as it is obvious to me they aren't really
interested in stealing my finds, they are just curious and using the comment as an excuse for a friendly conversation. So I never scare them by being rude. I just Smile & say Yea OK :laughing7: :tongue3:
show it to them and hopefully get a conversation that ends with leads on more finds.

I have yet to have somone who said "That's Mine !" Insist it was theirs

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand why some people would keep them and sell them and I can understand the whole "finders keepers" mentality which is fine I guess since it is a choice that each person must make for themselves. Some items just can't be traced to owners to return or just can't be returned.

Myself...I try to return them when I can if at all possible. Rather than "finders keepers" I try to stay more with "finders keeping it real" You just can't put a price on the happiness that you bring into a persons life when you are able to return an item like that.

Back in November I returned a class ring that had been missing for 31yrs. The owner had thought she would never see it again and it had meant quite a lot to her.

Here are a couple videos about why I try and return these rings. I just returned another one last week that was 12G 10K gold that had been missing for 6yrs.

It's still to each their own but I'll still return. It's the right thing to do and I would hope someone would do the same for me if I were in a position like that.

HH!

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RETURN IT if at all possible. How is this even a question?

Bc everyone doesn't feel that way. Im outta there to help everyone and there brother. They can buy there own detector.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RETURN IT if at all possible. How is this even a question?
Some people find so few good rings that they have a problem letting one go...I find enough that returning one is no problem for me...the feeling I get from returning one is way better than the money I would get...The people that say they don't return, post very few nice finds on here, so for them its probably hard to let one of their rare finds go...besides, KARMA will kick your ass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread