Highbanker modifications - video

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Playing around with modifying the PVC outflow of my battery powered Gold Hog Piglet.'

Background - This CAN run on a gas powered pump -- but I work on a claim where I can only use battery powered equipment. I have a rule 3700gph pump (13Amps) feeding the main unit. I tried adding in another 1250 pump with the smaller piping at the end of the video. I have a decent 95aH battery so it provides adequate power for 5-6 hours, which is enough for most of my outings (I turn it off when digging and storing material to max my run time)

Please leave me any suggestions and comments. I would love to take advantage of all the experience on this forum to make this a BEAST!

Lots and lots of AU to you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
less angle, more water...
try a gas powered pump.
might never go back... :occasion14:

OP
OP
A

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't use a gas powered pump on the claim I work on.....hence all this playing around with crimping PVC pipes

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know gas powered is obviously the way to go. I have the piglet and both a 3700 bilge pump and the gas powered honda wx15, obviously the wx15 is superior. There are times though were I can't run the gas powered pump. The battery that is required for a 3700 bilge pump almost makes it impractical to take out. I'm wondering if by reducing the diameter of the outlet you could have a smaller pump, requiring a smaller battery. It seems like the mats would still work with less water, obviously not ideal, but may be good enough.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While I like the Gold Hog Piglet wash setup, just like you, I can see that it needs more washing power...especially when using a battery powered pump. However, it should be easier than significantly reducing the outflow nozzle, changing to two reduced nozzles and then adding extra outflow with another pump and battery. I like the wash setup on my' Keene Highbanker with the A-52 Sluice and wonder if you "T'd" off the outflow to keep one nozzle washing as built but diverting flow around both sides by mounting 1/2" to 3/4" PVC around the top of the wings on your' Highbanker's wash box up and away from the clearance needed to clean out the grizzly. This might get you the washing power you need. If you try such a modification, then you should experiment with the size of the output holes in the PVC around the wash box, until you get the flow you need/want. Also, this modification would help in washing the material off the sides of the wash box. I have noticed in some of your videos, that material is stuck on the walls of the wash box and not getting washed down unless you aid the process.

Frank

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand your desire to classify less and wash more but the problem with that is you are going to get to a point of overwatering your sluice and your going to start blowing out the fine gold .
the piglet has operating parameters that when exceeded will start losing the fines.
So rather than getting enough water to move those bigger rocks out of the hopper look for a more efficient spray bar array to thoroughly wash the material then just a quick push clears the hopper of the larger rocks.
Heavy pans.....:icon_thumleft:

Perhaps something more along these lines.... The vid starts at the shot of the hopper and spray assembly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any update on the Highbanker modifications and results?

Frank

Modifications are working GREAT. First I am getting the dual PVC outlet fined tuned. I am putting up a video today and next Thursday showing this. Next I am going to add additional water flow with two 1250 mph bilge pumps and then we will be rolling.

The dual PVC outlets work great in washing the material better; however, I'm still having trouble getting the material to clear the grizzly bars due to not enough water flow. This will be fixed with the additional bilge pumps.

OP
OP
A

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This link should start at the right time.
3 minutes in.
I like the way he turned the nozzle UP.
I never had thought of that.
Doc
https://youtu.be/VXM2WnmrJW0?t=3m2s

Thanks for the comment Doc! It definitely helps in my battery only setup... But I want more/better washing hence my continued tinkering! The rest of the piglet is perfect, no mods needed. Just need to get the destruction chamber more... DESTRUCTIVE so I can run more material1

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
When you really start shoveling and over running the piglet will you let me run your tailings?

OP
OP
A

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When you really start shoveling and over running the piglet will you let me run your tailings?

I've gotten to the point where I trust the matting. If you notice on my next video I have a 60 inch extension JUST IN CASE I lose a few flakes; however, Doc has shown plenty of times the top 6 feet, even if overrun, captures 97%+ of the gold. The gold hog matting is that good. The secret is, unlike most sluices, the piglet has a build in deadening pool/fluid bed. most of the gold ironically is caught in the first SIX INCHES of the matting because of this. In the end though, it comes down to prospecting math - run less material and capture 99% vs run more and capture 97%. After extensive testing in my own environment, the run more option wins hands down at the end of the day. So sure, maybe I lose a couple sub 100 mesh flakes when I run hard... but who cares when I capture hundreds more by moving more buckets. Productivity over efficiency is my primary goal.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you have done your homework.
I hadn't seen the video where you added the extra length of sluice ... With that you should be good to go and that gives everything plenty of time and room for the incremental processing.
Heavy pans and looking forward to your next vid with your results...:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread