Highbanker questions

Caminochaos

Apr 14, 2010
I am building a cheap highbanker out of some 1x4 wood I got for free (got to keep the streak alive). I have a couple questions. Let me start off by showing you all the pump.

P1010019.jpg

The pump shown is a Tanaka. I looked up the specs on it as far as GPH, etc. and I think its around 1900 GPH. I PM'd pvillehunter the specs but deleted my out box. Maybe he can go back through is inbox and post it before I get around to look at the specs again. The output will be a garden hose connected to a 3/4" PVC spraybar. It will spray into a 2' long grizzly over a 1/4 wire mesh and drop into a 6' long wooden sluicebox.

My questions are:
How wide of a sluice box should I run for this pump?
How steep should the grizzly be?
How steep should the sluice box be?
Riffle spacing and size?

If there are any other comments please feel free. Thanks a lot guys.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it must have been a text cause its n ot in my in box...i think it was 1936 my phones charging so ill check later.i think a keene a 52 like dennis is is what you want for width and the longer the better.as indicated by how we found gold in both boxes last time.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol... read the rest of your post 2' grizz into a 6' sluice makes me drool... your carrying it though.. :headbang:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT restrict that lil'ol'tanaka with a garden hose=1/2" to 5/8". Used them for over 30 years and you will must buy some rigid hose matched to the output. Noisy as can be and smokey but run what ya brung-John :read2:

OP
OP
Caminochaos

Caminochaos

Apr 14, 2010
pvillehunter said:
it must have been a text cause its n ot in my in box...i think it was 1936 my phones charging so ill check later.i think a keene a 52 like dennis is is what you want for width and the longer the better.as indicated by how we found gold in both boxes last time.

It will be about 9.5" after doing some measuring.

OP
OP
Caminochaos

Caminochaos

Apr 14, 2010
Hoser John said:
You ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT restrict that lil'ol'tanaka with a garden hose=1/2" to 5/8". Used them for over 30 years and you will must buy some rigid hose matched to the output. Noisy as can be and smokey but run what ya brung-John :read2:

As soon as I can afford larger and better hose I will definately go that route but until then I will look for a larger hose on the cheap.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey hoser..

john does it have to be rigid or can we use layflat the layflat at home depot is 1.5" what will that do?and if you have to run rigid whwere do you source it that doest take a year to get????? pool supply and will they have the bushings/fittings needed?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem with all tiny pumps utilizing trash pumps is that the head/psi doesn't exist to handle any restrictions and ruins the flow and or just crimps. The Harbor freight new tiny knockoffs are EXTREMELY bad on this score. You will pump much MUCH more water at better head/psi when they are not fighting to keep the hose inflated enough to accomplish proper flow and prevent crimping,folding and such. John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so hose like the intake hose dredgehose...or a rigid hose like pool pump hose,or thst blue plastic stuff ive seen.

OP
OP
Caminochaos

Caminochaos

Apr 14, 2010
John, do you have any suggestions for grizzly and sluice angles for the pump I'm running? I realize that this is a trial and error procces but I'd like to have something to start with.

thanks

PS: suggestions from anyone is also appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread