Highbanking trip

cali209

Nov 13, 2007
Northern California
Heres a couple of pics from the gold we found last weekend...working old tailings from the hydraulic mining days.

Probably about 5 hours total shoveling into the highbanker (Proline).

One thing Im learning is that it takes a lot of this fine stuff to add up!

The majority of what we find is mercury which has gold in it. We're still sorting that stuff out...found some small nuggets and plenty of flakes of it.

If we go by weight, the gold in these pics is about 1/10th of what we found...the rest is the mercury stuff.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 542
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 522
Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Awesome! Pretty exciting seeing that gold after shoveling into a highbanker for a few hours huh! ;D

OP
OP
C

cali209

Nov 13, 2007
Northern California
Here's a pic of our set up.

There's really no need for the extra sluice box as the Proline does very well at catching the gold but we'll take them few extra specs.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 717

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Nice! I like the plastic crate idea as well....wish we had thought of that instead of having to shovel in then shovel away the rocks too! lol I will keep it in mind next time I get to go. I really like that lil proline highbanker! :thumbsup:

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like you are running the highbanker a little too steep. The Prolines are made to run at an angle of 1 to 1.5%, basically flat. You will probably find that if you do this you won't find anything in the additional sluice. It would be nice if they included directions to tell people this....but they don't :(

OP
OP
C

cali209

Nov 13, 2007
Northern California
EggyOG said:
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like you are running the highbanker a little too steep. The Prolines are made to run at an angle of 1 to 1.5%, basically flat. You will probably find that if you do this you won't find anything in the additional sluice. It would be nice if they included directions to tell people this....but they don't :(

We bought our highbanker from Proline in person and they did give us directions.

In the set up above, the highbanker back was about 2 inches lower than the front...might look lower in the pic but it wasn't. We tried it flatter but was building up way too much gravel and sand.

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
O.K.
I was just going by the length of the legs. I hope others read this about the setup because improper angle seems to be the biggest problem I have to correct people on. I've seen people using a 15% angle and them complaining because their fine gold recovery is zero. Everything on their highbankers is designed to run with the sluice as flat as possible.

OP
OP
C

cali209

Nov 13, 2007
Northern California
Yeah, they say close to flat is how they work best but different conditions will change that.

I will tell Jeff at Proline he should start including some directions...as I have also heard of this problem as well...

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
As a dealer for Proline, I try to help people set up there equipment whenever possible. You would be surprised how many people actually argue with me about what angle it should be set up at.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice! You got a good spot! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread