Hilarious find (updated with silver pics)

luvmydfx

Mar 21, 2005
Hey guys, I am new to the forum, and to metal detecting and just thought I would share a story that might get a few chuckles once read.? I have only owned my dfx for about a month.? Anyways,? I have a friend/coworker in my hometown that has a house that was built in 1948.? I figured that since the house was older, I might be able to find a few good things in his yard, and indeed I have found several great and interesting finds there.? I have found a 1943 silver quarter that is in very good condition showing very little if any wear.? I have also found a silver ring that looks like it has a black diamond in it, I will try to post some picks soon.? Anyways, back to the story.? I was detecting his back yard with my dfx, in the same proximity to where I found the silver quarter and ring, when I found a key.? It is important to note that when he bought this house there was only one key given to him by the realtor, and since the house is an older one he could not find someone that had the right key blank to make a new one, as the lock on the house was an old and unusual one.? He did not try a locksmith, but had tried places like wal-mart and ace hardware to no avail.? So anyways, I find this key, and he says "that kind of looks like the key to my front door" I told him to go ahead and go try it.? After removing some of the encrusted deposits on the key, it was indeed the key to his front door obviously lost by one of the previous owners of the house.? It was about 1.5 inches down in the ground.? I joked with him and his wife that I charge 2.50 to make copies of keys to front doors.? Anyways, I hope you got a laugh out of it, and I look forward to posting and reading more interesting finds in this forum.

Loren Farrar
Founder of? www.easystopgiftshop.com

Attachments

• silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 487
Upvote 0

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Re: Hilarious find

Hehe That is pretty funny, especially for me!! The exact same thing happened to me last year!! I was renting a house built in 1925 from a guy who grew up there... he is 86 or so and owns many, many properties... He is quite "with it" ...anyway... I found this key and thought the same thing: "This looks alot like my front door key" sure enough I tried it, and it worked. I asked the owner if the locks had ever been changed, he said "no". It was about 3 inches down, right off the sidewalk.

nitro

Dec 30, 2004
Round Rock, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to the forum and the hobby Loren, looking forward to seeing many of you're finds. Happy Hunting, Joe

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Great finds and interesting story! I know he was happy to have another key!! And welcome to the forum! Look forward to seeing pics of your finds!

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting story. I have found many keys in my years of dirtfishing, but never one that fit into a lock I knew about.

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004

Welcom and gra's on the great start.Hope to see more post.HH

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Welcome to the forum, Loren. Sounds like you're off to a great start. Nice finds and story. BTW, did you get the $2.50 ;) LOL HH

OP
OP
luvmydfx

luvmydfx

Mar 21, 2005
Hey guys, these are the pictures of the silver I found in my friends yard in the previous story above. Does anyone know if the stone in this ring is a black diamond?? I have been told that it is, but have not checked it out yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Loren Farrar
Founder of www.easystopgiftshop.com

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I can't say for sure without testing it, but from own experience most silver rings I've come in contact with that had a black stone was actually black onyx.

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to the forum. looks like your of to to a good start with that dfx.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions