Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I am on vacation this week visiting Old Kentucky and stopped in to visit with my good buddy Hill Billy and do some hardcore diggin. 8) HB wanted to take me to a good spot that he had located in the middle of a giant soybean field. The temps were in the 30s for the highs, but we got out there in the early a.m. when it was 17 degrees. :icon_pirat:

We pounded the site for a while, digging some old buttons, including some "dandy" buttons and a few tombacs too. I got one really big tombac that I like a lot (with shank). I dug a really nice relic--a bone-handled, 1850s folding dirk (large-sized knife, with a scepter-like end on one side).

Pretty soon HB had a good find or two in his pocket, including this interesting stamped brass figure:

Head.jpg

Then ole HB yelled "Coin!" and I came running with the camera. I saw a small cent in the dirt and took a photo:

FE dirt.jpg

The coin was thick, and we were thinking either early IH or a FE. It was an 1858 Flying Eagle cent. :headbang:

FE hand.jpg

We kept digging, getting some bits and pieces of brass and a few more buttons. HB got a nice mid-19th c. heel plate and a butt plate from a musket. As the hunt wore on, we moved into an area that seemed like horses were tethered. We dug horseshoes, and I got a two-holed oval strap guide made out of pewter or similar material. HB dug a really nice dandy button with a design:

Dandy.jpg

Then I got a great signal that overloaded my machine. I swept the soybean stubble aside with my foot and I was looking down at a complete spur! Now, I have dug bits and pieces of spurs, and watched HB dig two complete spurs, and Rodeo dig several more complete spurs, but I have never dug a whole one. (My last spur was dug in six pieces strewn across the site by the plough.) This type attached to the boot in an unusual way, and I am looking for information to date the spur. It is unmarked.) Here it is, freshly dug:

Spur1.jpg

Spur2.jpg

What was great about this site is that we knew we could angle for some early Large Cents, Coppers, or some Spanish, due to the number of large-sized, unmarked buttons and tombacs that we found. The early coins were not to be found this trip, but I'm sure the site will get a re-hunt. ;D Here is a photo of the finds, before cleaning:

Finds All.jpg

And after:

Finds All Clean.jpg

HB's finds:

HB Clean.jpg

And my finds (before cleaning):

BB Dirty.jpg

The tombac buttons we dug:

Tombacs.jpg

MORE photos in the first reply below:

Upvote 6
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buckle that I dug turned out to be a Colonial-Era Shoe Buckle! :headbang:

1.jpg

2.jpg

And here's the Bone-Handled Folding Dirk that I dug. The knife is 6 1/2 inches long as-is, appears to be of German manufacture, and dates from the 1850s--special thanks to Tnet member Kuger for the ID! A photo of a similar antique knife, with german silver fittings, appears below the photos of my find:

3.jpg

4.jpg

folding dirk.jpg

Here's HB's 1858 Flying Eagle:

5.jpg

The stamped brass "head" that HB dug:

8.jpg

And the spur I dug, front and back (in the photo of the back, it is propped up on a peculiar little brass tag that I found that has the number "16" on it.)

6.jpg

7.jpg

Looks like the weather is gonna get colder now, and I don't know how much digging we'll be able to do, but I want to thank Hill Billy for taking me to such a great site of his, the great company, the good Bourbon, and his wife's Fine Cooking.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Finds BB. The "King of old homesites" as I have dubbed you is back in business with HB. I know how good it felt to get back with your good friend and have a fantastic hunting day. Educate me on what the oval shaped brass piece with two holes in your cleaned up finds is??? WTG and welcome back to posting, Quindy.

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a beanfield bonanza for you both :thumbsup:
Congrat on you first complete spur
Nice hunting fellas...
Soup

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome day! 17 degrees!!! That is dedication. :notworthy:
Thanks for sharing,
Bunker

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a lot of fun digging! The site definitely has relics that stretch back to the 1790s, which makes it surprising you didn't turn up any coppers, Large Cents, Half Cents, or Spanish. Maybe next time :thumbsup:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure is great to see another excellent Buckleboy post, its been way too long since the last one. The two of you found some wonderful relics! :hello2: :icon_thumright:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great feild hunt :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That site definitely dates to the late-1790s. :icon_thumleft: Great hunt, guys, and I particularly like the 18th century shoe buckle frame. I also have a spot in my heart for tombacs. It is cool to see a quality hunt in Kentucky at this time of the year. I am surprised a King George copper did not pop. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Keep the passion high!

Kirk :hello:

sctoddc

Jan 4, 2010
Greenwood SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds guys, still lookin for a honey hole like that, wtg.

Todd

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds BuckleBoy and Hill Billy, love the pics :thumbsup:
HH...Miner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread