Hip-Mounting Land Star - Done. UPDATE!

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hi all: For those of you who followed my original post about hip-mounting the Land Star, here is a recap and the wonderful finale.

Although we know that the LS and similar models are lightweight, I still had to change arms after about 1/2 hour of swinging. I attempted to hip-mount the control housing but the cable was a little short for comfortable swinging. I had made many attempts to get an extension cable but because of the 5-pin configuration, no one had a cable I could use. Not even Bounty Hunter! I persevered to the point where I finally agreed to pay Bounty Hunter $25 for a 36" cable with a male connector and loose wires at the other end so that the cable could be spliced onto my existing cable after snipping off the connector. I also asked the BH Customer Service person who I ordered the cable from, if possible, throw in a female connector in case it was easier to connect to the loose wires on the new cable rather than splicing. I waited with "baited breath" and the cable arrived today.

But, boy, was I surprised at what I received! I expected a similar looking black cable as found attached to my coil. It isn't, it is grey. I exptected such cable, besides being black, to have only the male connector attached and loose wires at the other end for splicing. It isn't, it is actually an extension cable with male and female connectors. I ordered 36" I believe, and this cable is 45-1/2" long! It looks like it was put together for me! I say this because neither connector is molded to the cable and it looks like a homemade job, albeit a professional job, of course. I connected it to my Land Star, I removed the control housing and put to my side and now I have plenty of cable to wrap around the rod and actually bring it out to under the elbow rest so that it isn't hanging loose in front of me where it can get caught on whatever. I think the cable is now long enough to actually bring it around my back, out of the way.

I also thought about this: if any of you desire the same thing, it's worth a try but I don't guarantee that BH will replicate and I don't know if they'll also charge you $25 (a bit expensive but now that I have it, I can find it in clad any day).

Am I happy? You bet! Look at the photo of the cable. What do you think?

Silver Fox

Attachments

• BH EXT. CABLE.JPG
    BH EXT. CABLE.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 177

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks good, glad to see your happy :D

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
liftloop said:
looks good, glad to see your happy :D
Thanks, liftloop. While I haven't gone out since I received the cable, I know it's going to be a pleasure not having to think about witching arms or having to put the detector down and having it roll around, etc. I can put the rod down without concern and it'll stay where I put it. Not a big deal but little things mean a lot and as you get older they're appreciated!

Silver Fox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread