watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few months ago our, local historical society asked if I would instruct a metal detecting class
for 5th - 8th grade kids. . . they only had 3 kids sign up but the program was a huge success
and the HS wants to repeat this program again next year. I fear word-of-mouth from the kids that
participated in this year's program will increase next year's enrollment to capacity.

The house I researched and received permission from the owner to detect was built in 1889 and
was on a 1/2-acre lot. With the time allotted (about 3-1/2 hours), we were only able to detect about
1/3 of the homeowner's back yard. One kid had his own detector (an Ace250) and I had 2 of my
own detectors that the kids could use.

After gridding off a section of the yard with utility flags, each kid had a portion of the yard to hunt
and when they got a good target, they would mark it's location with a small piece of cloth. After
they marked their target locations, I would dig their targets (since I didn't want any cut fingers).

I was totally amazed at their excitement, even when their target turned out to be a corroded Zincoln, or
a rusty nail. However, their values changed after one kid found a 40-cent pocket spill that included
two silver Rosies and a 1944 Merc 8-).

Some of the stellar finds that were made by these kids in only 3-1/2-hours of detecting . . (two kids
had never detected before). . . include a sterling silver ring with a blue stone, another silver Rosie,
an 1899 Indian Head penny, a Colorado Tax Token, and a cool souvenir from a Railroad Fair
exposition held in Chicago in 1949.

After spending the better part of the morning helping them clean yesterday's finds, we went back to the
property to show the homeowner what they had found during the previous day. The kids were on cloud
9 when the homeowner said they could keep their finds. (I'm almost certain these kids lost some sleep
last night thinking the owner would want what they found).

Here's a pic of some of the things they found (not including today).

HS-Finds.jpg

Upvote 9

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really great that you did that with the kids! Who knows how many will be next generation of artifact hunters. :icon_thumright::icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a kid but how can I sign up for next year...:laughing7:
Those are some great finds and good on you for the class.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Man the kids did better then most of my hunts. Nice job you did with them.

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool idea and really wonderful of you to do that for the kids. I bet it was a blast. That's a good idea to do in any town that any of us live in-thanks for the idea.

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
that is totally cool. some day one of those kids may be voting in favor of letting us hunt instead of taking away more of our rights.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent job Mark...
Your a very knowledgeable mentor....

Nice job.......

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Job! I think it's great that you would take your time to share your love of the hobby with those kids. Maybe this will start a trend. :thumbsup:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be very proud of what your doing with those kids, I'm proud of ya and don't even know ya! ...............HH:thumbsup:

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paving the way for future generations on MD'ists. Great thing your doing. Love that old ring and that bell looks darn cool too!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, done similar with the local junior school. They all loved it, including the girls (1 commented 'this is better than what I thought'), they also found a 1730s Irish halfpenny in the playing field. It was a date I needed although they kept all the finds.

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for all your positive replies!

At the end of the program I asked these kids what I could do to improve next year's program.
They all said: "We want do MORE detecting!" (I should have expected that LOL)

Thanks again & HH!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's really great to work with the kids like that. fantastic program. nice finds too, that ring is pretty sweet :icon_thumleft:

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome way to keep kids busy and teaching about artifacts and the history of there finds, it sure beats them sitting at home trying to figure out what weapon to use to blow up the bad guys on there video games

Okie115

Apr 15, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So cool, it's like your own personal sweat shop..j/k. Great job getting those kids out there and away from their Xbox and couch!! Keep up the good work. :thumb_up:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread