Historically Significant? B&O John Work Garrett, maybe.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I think this is a picture of John Work Garrett, president of B&O Railroad during the Civil War, leaning against an otherwise unknown B&O engine 227. I apologize that this 8"x10" glass dry process (I think it's called) negative is so filthy. I'm afraid to touch it. I laid it on a white fabric, put a light on it, and took a picture. Then I reversed the negative and did an auto-levels in Paint.net. Now you have something recognizable, but it could have been done better with the right equipment and a little practice. Anyway, the photo is at full size if you maximize it, but only 24% quality to keep it under 1 MB. This way you can zoom in on all 5 people, hopefully.

Attachments

• trying.jpg
    trying.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 167

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Nice buy. I don't know about Garrett but I love seeing pictures like this. It makes you wish you could step back in time and meet the people - really enjoyed this photograph - thanks!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I so enjoy looking through old photo collections for interesting images of the past.... Old rail road items are always great finds IMO

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Thank you both for the kind comments. I re-read my post and I guess I wasn't very clear. This is an 8" by 10" glass negative.
If you zoom way in, you can see everybody is holding on or leaning on something to stay still. A breeze caught the bottom of the coat of the Garrett character and blurred it. The engineer and coal shoveler (?) are at the controls. Of the two people at the fence, one is dressed like a cowboy (I can almost see a holster on his left hip) and the other person appears to be black - so probably either a slave or freedman. I looked up a listing of B & O engines, there is no 227 to be found.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
If this picture was taken during the Civil War, this was almost certainly the "wet plate" or collodion process. After about 1880 or so, the dry plate process was probably used. Either technique utilized large glass plates such as this. Tamrock is right, old railroad stuff is hugely popular. This is a great picture even if that isn't Mr. Garrett. A glass plate negative of a train from the civil war era is a fantastic piece. Where did you get it?

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure that's 227? It sure looks like 222 to me with the last 2 being painted a little off. Great photo regardless!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I found it at an estate sale in the afternoon of the 2nd day. People line up and go tearing through those sales trying to be first, and I understand that, but everyone can't be first. I try to put all that urgency aside and enter each room to see what treasure it might hold. This was in a top drawer of a pine dresser. The dresser was for sale. I looked inside and there it was. Paid $5 at checkout.

To those of you that say it's 222, take into consderation engine 87 from B & O Steam Roster Part 1 - NE Rails They also have a 222 which is remarkably similar to the engine in my picture, but there are significant differences. Maybe there were modifications in the years between.
bo87s.jpg
bo222s.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread