History Channel - Oak Island mini series January 5, 2014

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off topic

A willy! Lucky sob

I got a 94 grand Cherokee and wish it was a 98 grand Cherokee with the 5.9 :)

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Test post to see if my avatar appears and two pictures I've uploaded

Day of Purchase March 2003.JPG 1948 Willys Wagon.JPG

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post is definitely off topic............

My avatar is our 1948 Willys Overland station wagon. The first picture above is on the day we bought it. It was in a junkyard and we had to trailer it home. As you can see, it had a lot of rust. It was missing the rear seat and a lot of parts.

A year and 10 months later the restoration is complete. My husband did all the labor. I shopped online for missing parts. I researched paint colors and found an automotive paint store that had the formulas for car paint back into the 1940s. I found the original formula for the paint colors used in for the 1948 Willys Overland wagon and we had them custom mixed. Since the picture on the right was taken, we've found the original hubcaps.

This past year, my husband replaced the original Jeep engine with a V-8.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Why dont they position the drilling rig right over the pit on temporary scaffolding and drill right down through the center and sink well casing down and suction everything out of the bottom?

As long as the ground water is high they will have nearly zero feet of column water lift and could dredge the bottom from the surface. It makes no sense that they havent done this with modern equipment. I guess that would end the legend or then someone would say they missed the real pit because of all the past excavations. There is no winning, just drill the hole and be done with it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why dont they position the drilling rig right over the pit on temporary scaffolding and drill right down through the center and sink well casing down and suction everything out of the bottom?

As long as the ground water is high they will have nearly zero feet of column water lift and could dredge the bottom from the surface. It makes no sense that they havent done this with modern equipment. I guess that would end the legend or then someone would say they missed the real pit because of all the past excavations. There is no winning, just drill the hole and be done with it.

:laughing7: Too much money to be made off speculators

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I can't comment on Jeeps, although I certainly wouldn't mind owning one of the older ones.

About that castle, though...what castle? The one that Joan Hope wrote about, or the one that the people that read her book exaggerated? (And believe you me, she got some things wrong, from the rocks to the sword point to (probably) the leprechauns stealing her neighbor's car, but I'm not qualified to discuss little green car thieves.)

When she first started researching the story and asking the old timers, she concluded that there had been a 17th century mansion (mansion for that time, not our time - about the size of a modern single family home) at the site. I can agree with this. Where in the hell she got the other stuff is largely beyond me, but the sketch just kept getting bigger and bigger, and then there were towers, and then there was a wall, and then where the heck did all that stone go when the thing collapsed? There are ruined castles in Europe that have not been maintained for centuries, but they're still easily recognizable for what they were. Why is it that this castle in Canada was left alone for a few hundred years and all that we have left is foundations that don't match its supposed dimensions?

I'm reminded of my childhood in New England. I think that I know the answer to this, and it doesn't involve castles. A few of you may know what I'm talking about.

I'm not seeing it. And while I have no doubt that the Norsemen passed through that area (I'm personally convinced that they made it at least as far south as MA; even the sagas support this), that probably wasn't a "Viking" sword tip that she found. I do find it interesting though that proponents of theories that don't involve the Vikings, use information meant to support the Vikings to prop up their own positions. There's a lesson here, but I'm not sure what it is.

Apologies if I'm coming off as unduly harsh. Let me say right now that I'm not trying to piss anyone off, and that I'm far from the most informed man on the subject; I hadn't even started researching this until a few days ago. However, with a minimal investment of time, I've found all sorts of things wrong with this legend. My confusion comes from whether or not the more learned folks have some sort of astonishing information that's not commonly available, or (if I suspect) we're working with the same material, but they skipped a few sentences.

I'm still waiting to hear how a jarl could have taken a few years off to build a castle in North America. My mind is not closed on the subject, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I'm a bit shocked that this hasn't come up yet. If anyone here does not know how important the title of jarl was (and what sort of duties that this title entailed), I highly recommend that you research this. It will shed quite a bit of light on why Sinclair could not have made that trip, regardless of his connections or obligations. (One might argue that his most important connection - and obligation - was the one to the King of Norway, as without that one, he literally had nothing. His cousin, however...)

What I'm most curious about is why no one in this thread has suggested that Zichmni was not Sinclair himself, but merely one of Sinclair's men. It's the one possibility that I can't definitively debunk. The Zeno bros. story is still horse apples for multiple reasons (and is unreliable if real), and Sinclair's family were not friends of the Templars, and Sinclair himself was born a generation after they'd been disbanded, but as implausible as this is, it is still technically plausible. I've never seen it before. Why not?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This post is definitely off topic............

My avatar is our 1948 Willys Overland station wagon. The first picture above is on the day we bought it. It was in a junkyard and we had to trailer it home. As you can see, it had a lot of rust. It was missing the rear seat and a lot of parts.

A year and 10 months later the restoration is complete. My husband did all the labor. I shopped online for missing parts. I researched paint colors and found an automotive paint store that had the formulas for car paint back into the 1940s. I found the original formula for the paint colors used in for the 1948 Willys Overland wagon and we had them custom mixed. Since the picture on the right was taken, we've found the original hubcaps.

This past year, my husband replaced the original Jeep engine with a V-8.

Nice truck! Did you ever consider dropping a cummins 6 cylinder diesel in? I bet it would get well above 20mpg with one and sound really cool!

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've not completed the whole video in case it's covered, but where is the hull? If the planks are there that the men get support to paddle and are secured in the hole wall, certainly the hull and keel would have survived. I've not heard of any reports of a wooden wall (the hull) on one side of the hole. Without a hull the vertically stranded viking ship theory I'm afraid doesn't work.

Its possible they used a viking longship to build the hole. They could keep digging underneath the bow and lifting it until it was vertically in the ground. The sides and keel of the ship would actually form bracing as the pit was dug. But since the hull isn't there they would have had to remove those planks as they were filling it in.

Seems like a crazy way to say goodbye to a ship that was no longer seaworthy. I like the idea that instead of cutting down trees to build supports for the hole...just use the ship!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've not completed the whole video in case it's covered, but where is the hull? If the planks are there that the men get support to paddle and are secured in the hole wall, certainly the hull and keel would have survived. I've not heard of any reports of a wooden wall (the hull) on one side of the hole. Without a hull the vertically stranded viking ship theory I'm afraid doesn't work.

Its possible they used a viking longship to build the hole. They could keep digging underneath the bow and lifting it until it was vertically in the ground. The sides and keel of the ship would actually form bracing as the pit was dug. But since the hull isn't there they would have had to remove those planks as they were filling it in.

Seems like a crazy way to say goodbye to a ship that was no longer seaworthy. I like the idea that instead of cutting down trees to build supports for the hole...just use the ship!

I can't see them putting that amount of work into it...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the video, in part, and while I know others see it as a plausible theory, I can't see it being a vertical viking ship. As HenryWaltonJonesjr stated, where is the hull? The only items found in the pit were the log platforms every ten feet. It would seem likely that if it were a viking long ship, the various searchers would have found items in the pit belonging to the viking period. So far the metal items found in the pit have been dated to pre-1750. The only thing that's been found from an earlier period, according to the History Channel's Curse of Oak Island, is the coconut fiber on the beach which has been dated to between the years 1260 and 1400.

It's unfortunate that the original pit collapsed. If it were still in it's original state prior to the collapse, modern technology might have been able to explore theories like this and either confirm or refute them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't see them putting that amount of work into it...

I can't see them putting that amount of work into burying anything :dontknow:
the only thing I can think of with those depth that are man made are Mines.

& get rich scams like "Money pits" of course :laughing7:

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Its obvious to me that its a sink hole. Every couple of hundred years or even thousand of years a huge storm would pass through the area. The bottom rock strata being porous and having caves would wash out debris and the top would collapse adding driftwood and falling tree branches. Sand and dirt and debris would build on top of this for a time until the next storm. This cycle repeated over possibly thousands of years causing the supposed platforms that everyone wanted to find to prove man had made the pit. 250 feet down and nothing found.... doesnt that in itself say enough?

Oooooh coconut fibers, must be some swashbuckling pirates or the Knights Templar. It couldnt have been a trade ship bringing fibers to the northern settlements to make into rugs and rope. And the carbon 13 dating dont even get me started with that submerged in salt water dating method.

And even if its correct why does it have to do anything with treasure, dont ships get blown completely off course even today?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its obvious to me that its a sink hole. Every couple of hundred years or even thousand of years a huge storm would pass through the area. The bottom rock strata being porous and having caves would wash out debris and the top would collapse adding driftwood and falling tree branches. Sand and dirt and debris would build on top of this for a time until the next storm. This cycle repeated over possibly thousands of years causing the supposed platforms that everyone wanted to find to prove man had made the pit. 250 feet down and nothing found.... doesnt that in itself say enough?

Oooooh coconut fibers, must be some swashbuckling pirates or the Knights Templar. It couldnt have been a trade ship bringing fibers to the northern settlements to make into rugs and rope. And the carbon 13 dating dont even get me started with that submerged in salt water dating method.

And even if its correct why does it have to do anything with treasure, dont ships get blown completely off course even today?

exactly :laughing7: the dirt/sand on it alone probably dates much farther back :tongue3:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, where is all this wood from the platform, and where is the coconut? Easy to say it just vanished, but im doubting it never existed, just in someones dream. And, people dont bury ships vertically. Denmark is full of buried viking ships, and none have been found buried vertically. Sure, maybe on this one occasion, they tried a new technology for hiding treasure, but I cant believe it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread