dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think that swamp is a mass grave for the slaves that worked on it, that's why theres a lot of deadly gas pockets

I think the gas pockets are naturally occurring...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really hoping they find something new and good.

I'm guessing there have been a few coins & relics dropped on the islands over the years.
& I wouldn't rule out some things from Pirates there.
But I will never believe or suggest anything Pirate related has anything to do with the pit,
past the 3' mark

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
We'll once you start questioning lab results and carbon dating you start losing me.

Being buried causes there to be a lack of O2. Coconut is naturally resistant to seawater. It is certainly possible to last that long underground. Grains have been found in 3000 year old Egyptian tombs.

I'm questioning one lab result from when the technique was still quite new. Even though it has matured quite a bit since then, it's still not 100% reliable. These days, those sorts of mistakes don't result in discrepencies of thousands of years, but they can very well result in discrepencies of hundreds of years. A few centuries are usually insignificant in a dig that's 3,000 years old, but they're quite significant here. It's worth noting that the carbon exchange reservoir of seawater vs. terrestrial is about a 400 year difference, erring towards older with seawater. That wasn't entirely understood in the sixties. There are other issues which I can address if you'd like, but it's highly technical and unpleasant to read. (Start with the Wikipedia entry on radiocarbon dating if you're interested.) If there has been a more recent test, I'd appreciate a lead on it.

Is it buried away from atmospheric gases, or did it act as a channel for seawater? Take your pick, but you can't have it both ways. A sealed tomb in a desert is hardly a fair comparison.

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
I was under the impression that the coconut fiber dating was done on the samples that were dug up in the previous episode, not samples from the 1960's. If that is the case, then the dating is most certainly correct. Otherwise, I tend to agree with Dave Rishar in that there may be a high degree of error in the date.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. So many greater scientists here than NASA. Lol. Tusk ? I'm willing to bet it's a support from an old dock. And that is weathered. metal detector.jpg

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their is a way to scan up to 100' under the swamp with out draining it looking for metals and voids. I could of saved them a lot of money.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The carbon dates for the coconut fibers match from the 1960's and 2013 . Say what you want Dave but you can not prove your story either, you just make others look bad. Do your home work before you post.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
The carbon dates for the coconut fibers match from the 1960's and 2013 . Say what you want Dave but you can not prove your story either, you just make others look bad. Do your home work before you post.

There was one from 2013? Do you have a source for it that you can share? I am very interested in seeing it. Call this request "homework."

In the meantime, I'll temporarily concede this point to you pending further information. For the purpose of this discussion, the fibers are real and they're old, and can be decisively proven to be from where they're supposed to be from. What about the rest of the story, which is absolute garbage in every detail? Was any of that firmed up in 2013? Did any of the "lost" evidence reappear?

Has any tangible evidence at all been recovered from any of the dig sites that can not be attributed to an earlier treasure hunting expedition?

But back to the coir, since I'm unconvinced...my girlfriend just brought up an excellent point. During the period of time in question, which nations and cultures were using coir in any form (shipping or otherwise), and which ones were not? And for those that were not routinely using it (but might have known about it from, say, the Crusades), where would they have come up with tons of it? And why use it when less expensive alternatives were available locally?

I have some more homework to do.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their is a way to scan up to 100' under the swamp with out draining it looking for metals and voids. I could of saved them a lot of money.
Not trying to be a di*&, but on page 2 of this thread you said you "turned them down" when they came to you and yours asking for help, so what is the point of that statement as it relates to you? Maybe... "they could have saved a lot of money" is better suited for that reply, "I" doesn't necessarily apply. Besides this is television remember, draining the swamp has much more dramatic effect in cinematic terms.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many are sitting at home crying about the yellow bellied swamp Bugs
loosing their homes as their children getting orphaned while the swamp is being drained :laughing7:

if that were here, army corp would never let them even look at the swamp crooked
for fear something would die :tongue3:

unless of course they wanted to drive tanks through it,
to see how far they can get while leaking oil

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? They're going to drain a wetland area? Wait until the eco wackos get wind of this! Heck, around here they'll stop a multibillion dollar construction project because there MIGHT be a seasonal fairy shrimp (sea monkeys) population.....

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Really? They're going to drain a wetland area? Wait until the eco wackos get wind of this! Heck, around here they'll stop a multibillion dollar construction project because there MIGHT be a seasonal fairy shrimp (sea monkeys) population.....

That's why their called eco wackos!
Because their wacked:D

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We turned them down because we had our own work to do , they did not ask us for help. Had I known they wanted to drain the swamp I would of told them of other methods to use that would locate metals and voids under water. I never been on Oak Island because I don't believe the treasure is there. I was just to bussy at the time to stop what we were doing to go on TV. I still like the show, I just hope they can prove something.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We turned them down because we had our own work to do , they did not ask us for help. Had I known they wanted to drain the swamp I would of told them of other methods to use that would locate metals and voids under water. I never been on Oak Island because I don't believe the treasure is there. I was just to bussy at the time to stop what we were doing to go on TV. I still like the show, I just hope they can prove something.
Okay, makes sense. I'm sure they know about GPR's and such (if that is what you were referring to, is it?) but like I said, actually draining the swamp has a much better audience capturing effect. Hollywood has to put on the hype. Most viewers wouldn't sit through watching colored imaging on a computer screen, that would be boring. I know they've already used GPR technology on Oak Island. Surely they've already used it on the swamp? They probably already know what's there and the draining of the swamp is nothing more than fodder for the show. Truth be told, the producers might even be paying for it, just for that reason. JMHO

Here's a link with the review of past Geophysical Investigations on Oak Island- http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/EOID08/les.pdf

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those that believe there is still a Templar Treasure in the Money Pit, you must also believe in the Easter Bunny. Yes there was a man made pit 90' deep and yes there was wood supports every 10' and yes they found charco and coconut fibers . The Templar Treasure was their once but its gone. Nothing has been found in the last 500 years except artifacts placed their by diggers to raise money. The owners spent $15 million to buy Oak Island and they will be the last ones to admit nothing is there until they make their money back. Could the Treasure be in New Ross, NS or in a sunken shipwreck in the Delaware River is the real question. We are working at both sites and we will post what we find by June.
Wait...you're not saying the Easter Bunny is...fake?

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, makes sense. I'm sure they know about GPR's and such (if that is what you were referring to, is it?) but like I said, actually draining the swamp has a much better audience capturing effect. Hollywood has to put on the hype. Most viewers wouldn't sit through watching colored imaging on a computer screen, that would be boring. I know they've already used GPR technology on Oak Island. Surely they've already used it on the swamp? They probably already know what's there and the draining of the swamp is nothing more than fodder for the show. Truth be told, the producers might even be paying for it, just for that reason. JMHO

Here's a link with the review of past Geophysical Investigations on Oak Island- http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/EOID08/les.pdf

No its not GPR. GPR has its limits. A metal object has to be 1" in size for each foot down. So if you go down 10' with GPR the metal object has to be 10" in size. at 50' the metal object has to be 50" in size. We have our own equipment to do a better job to ID smaller objects at 50' and 100'.Radar or GPR will not go through 5' of clay and this site has plenty of clay. They do not use ground radar in Nova Scotia. I tried to hire a Ground Radar unit to have on site and each time I was told forget it, it does not work here.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread