History exposed..... through RESEARCH.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have followed my posts for any amount of time, you will have noticed the emphasis I place on research. Whether you are a gold prospector, relic hunter, or simply a coin-shooter in a local park, it is hard to ignore the history learned of a particular area through research. Not only does it help answer questions but, at the least, it makes the hunt more fulfilling. I direct you to the following picture:

DSC00512.JPG

Although very difficult to see, some of this topo is "checker-boarded" with sections (one mile square) for public, private, public, private squares and so on. This is easy to see on a BLM regional map, indicating public lands. Also on this map, notice certain sections that are outlined in blue. A township is a six mile square, containing thirty-six sections. The two bottom blue squares are the 16th sections of each respective township, public land. This is not a coincidence. Back when our new country was surveyed, the government decided that one section of each township was to be reserved for school (educational) purposes. This was the 16th section. Because of large amounts of city expansion in the east, many of these "school" sections no longer exist. But some still do in the western U.S. How did these public/private sections come to be? Back in the 1800's, our expanding country had a whole bunch of land out west but few people would buy this land because it was in the middle of "nowhere". How would an owner get his produce or livestock to market? Enter the expanding railroad! The U.S. made a pact with the railroad. If they would lay track, they would get land to sell to defray the cost of laying the rr lines. To keep the rr's from picking only the best sections, the government made them "checker-board" the sections they would own. These became railroad property (private) to sell. Now, the land became more attractive to buyers as the rr's now would get the farmer's product to market. This checker-boarding still exists today. Now.... as they say.... you know the rest of the story. Research! ╦╦Ç

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Terry,
Similarly, Palm Springs, California was developed in the same way. The government created a checkerboard pattern of land parcels; half were given to the RxR and the other half to the Indians. Later, when the Indians were allowed to lease their land, various developers purchased leaseholds and built projects. Today, about 23,000 homes in Palm Springs are located on Indian leased land.
Don.......

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You learn something new every day. 😁

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post TC!:headbang::hello2:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good posting. Than you for sharing :)

Kuwanki

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2017
Flagstaff Arizona
Detector(s) used
Hitek Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They did keep it. It's only leased. They can renew the lease if they wish, or they can decline to renew it when the lease expires, and take possession of the land. Believe it or not, this has happened before. On the White Mountain Apache reservation, the tribal council leased several hundred cabin lots, for 50 years, just outside McNary. After 50 years, the new tribal council refused to renew the leases, and the residents all had to leave. There's still a lot of bad blood over this. i bet i would be a great place to coin shoot, though (if you could get permission).

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, indeed, a great place to search for single coins and jewels. Good hunting and good luck.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They did keep it. It's only leased. They can renew the lease if they wish, or they can decline to renew it when the lease expires, and take possession of the land. Believe it or not, this has happened before. On the White Mountain Apache reservation, the tribal council leased several hundred cabin lots, for 50 years, just outside McNary. After 50 years, the new tribal council refused to renew the leases, and the residents all had to leave. There's still a lot of bad blood over this. i bet i would be a great place to coin shoot, though (if you could get permission).

Yes! A great place to find INDIAN HEAD PENNIES! ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry,
Similarly, Palm Springs, California was developed in the same way. The government created a checkerboard pattern of land parcels; half were given to the RxR and the other half to the Indians. Later, when the Indians were allowed to lease their land, various developers purchased leaseholds and built projects. Today, about 23,000 homes in Palm Springs are located on Indian leased land.
Don.......

Hey Don! I have always been a "map Guy"..... even as a pre-teen. I saw these checkerboards on maps and wondered. I didn't think much more about it until I saw the reason in print only weeks ago. While on a recent detecting trip in SE California, I saw it again on the "Cuddamark" BLM regional map that I purchased. Such checker-boarding is still prevalent all over the western states, including CA. Thanks for the contribution, my friend. Terry

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread