Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to try and hunt Old Bellamy Road off of 214 in Alachula County. The mustang would not be a wise vehicle choice, so my '63 Chevy had to be up for the mission. I had never seen the road personally, but the pics on the Internet told me everything---Dukes of Hazard style. 214 actually has a road name, but I don't remember. I just knew that once the road took a left turn I would be on Bellamy Road. Once on Bellamy Road I saw fence on both sides and any gaps were openings for log trucks. Finally, the dirt/sand turned to pavement. I decided to check out an area not far from a road leading to a boat dock. Turned up several rust objects, small and of little consequence. Flakes to be exact. Then, I get a nice little hit at a +58 mixed with some ferrous. Silver??? I hoped. I dug down about a good 6 inches and checked the hole. It was already out. Got my pin pointer out and probed the dirt.....there it is!!! Lots of build up on it. About the size of a nickel, but thinner. Maybe a 1 or 1 1/2 reale??? Not sure, but didn't want to rub it. Went ahead and dropped it in my pouch. The rain was rolling in, scattered shower and I don't have covering for the battery box or display. As I beat feet back to the truck I tripped and fell. Clumsy me. Thought about hanging around and hunting more, but time was not on my side. Taillights and brake lights don't work, and besides, I was stoked about my find and wanted to clean it properly.
When I got home, the coin was not in the pouch!!!! What the f#€¥!!! Did I really drop it from my pouch when I tripped and fell????? Heart burn quickly set in with my anger. How could I have done that? I guess I will definitely be making my way back to that sight soon. Hopefully I can rediscover my coin and post it after cleaning it-----to be continued!!

Last edited:
Upvote 10

nor kal kid

Feb 19, 2014
northern kalifornia, Bay area
Detector(s) used
XLT, Mxt all pro, garrett pp.coils 10"DD, 950, 12"spyder.for mxt all pro. Coils for xlt 950 and 15" magnum force field "depth plus"mxt max coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
**** happens you should be able to find it good luck.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's where a special container comes in handy, little felt or cotton in the container and one is all set for that special find. Been there done it myself and it wasn't a pretty feeling to loose a find that one thought might be special. Good luck on the return recovery hunt, and I hope it's a good one to make it all worth while, heck even a Merc dime would be worth the drive back just to get it back.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Pepper said I always carry a special container for those good finds and it gets zipped into a special compartment in my backpack. I've always had this fear of finding an incredible coin and losing it. I don't take any chances with that

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I use on my hunts. The small box is for short hunts and the larger box is for all day hunts in the woods. They're sturdy and best of all, they're metal. Easy to detect if you lose them in the mud or in the leaves.

mints.JPG

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I use on my hunts. The small box is for short hunts and the larger box is for all day hunts in the woods. They're sturdy and best of all, they're metal. Easy to detect if you lose them in the mud or in the leaves.

View attachment 1101022

Sometimes I carry a chest just in case I hit a hoard of gold and silver coins lol

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry that happened, what a heart breaker!

I hope you get a chance to get back out there and find it...and the rest of the cache :icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can definitely see how that could happen, because it happened to me with a large copper that was stamped of engraved with something, and it would have driven me crazy not know what was on there.... but luckily I was able to find it. I'm also pretty good at rushing things and actually missing when I through the target in my pouch and did this several times this Fall alone, and even lost a copper because of it. No question it's worth the extra few seconds to protect the keepers or anything you feel is interesting.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use an empty Skoal can with cotton in it for your better coins. Good luck, I sure hope you refind your coin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Common sense shoulda told me that. Good point

OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin and I will meet again...got to. I didn't even get to identify it.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me my friend common sense is something lots of is lack in lol. Most of is have learned the hard way

OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem...I know exactly what you mean.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Just reading this, I think I felt the same as you did when you lost it. I would have been panicking if that happened to me. I'm guessing it my still be in the car. I remember finding a button I never remembered losing while cleaning the car. I once forgot to zipper my pouch and ending up tripping on a roc or something and in slow motion saw pull tabs flying out of there. I never could end out finding them. I think a Reale is way more important than a pull tab lol. Anyways, I truly hope you find it.

Coinman123,

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that's why I carry a large medicine bottle (free from any drug store) stuffed with cotton balls.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We get too soon old and too late smart, unfortunately. Years ago I found what later turned out to be part of a whale oil lamp. There was a matching piece (a lid to snuff it out) that would have hinged onto it that I thought was a modern piece of electrical hardware and discarded it. Still makes me sick to think about it. :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread